Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

HackFraud
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Just published an overview/ ”curated playthrough” of Trespasser

Post by HackFraud »

First of all I’d like to thank the community here, who were extremely helpful when it came to answering questions about the game. All of those were research and were immensely helpful in making this video.

I’d also like to state that I really enjoy this game and the video reflects that. So if anyone was worried about another in the long line of hit pieces about the subject you needn’t.

Here's the link:https://youtu.be/qDzCIqxvYIM

Hope you enjoy it. :mrgreen:
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Just published an overview/ ”curated playthrough” of Trespasser

Post by Nick3069 »

Great video! You come off as a little too contemptuous at times with all the Half Life 2 and Jurassic Park sequel bashing, but it was very entertaining. :lol:

There are 2 inaccuracies though:
You are not meant to kill the first green T. Rex, it is coded to stay in open area and not follow you in the dried riverbed or the raptor canyon. In fact you're not meant to kill any of them. It is possible to kill the alpha red T. Rex next to the Maya pyramid though. (Yes, the ancient Isla Sorna civilization is meant to be the Maya people.)
The cattle prod isn't the best melee weapon in the game, Nedry's mace is. The worst part is that you look directly at it @28:43 and you don't mention it or pick it up.
HackFraud
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by HackFraud »

Nick3069 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:02 am Great video! You come off as a little too contemptuous at times with all the Half Life 2 and Jurassic Park sequel bashing, but it was very entertaining. :lol:

There are 2 inaccuracies though:
You are not meant to kill the first green T. Rex, it is coded to stay in open area and not follow you in the dried riverbed or the raptor canyon. In fact you're not meant to kill any of them. It is possible to kill the alpha red T. Rex next to the Maya pyramid though. (Yes, the ancient Isla Sorna civilization is meant to be the Maya people.)
The cattle prod isn't the best melee weapon in the game, Nedry's mace is. The worst part is that you look directly at it @28:43 and you don't mention it or pick it up.
Damn I don't know how I missed it, but I did. I totally would have mentioned it if I hadn't. Although at that point you would only be able to use it on one Raptor. As for the killing t-Rex part I thought I heard someone in a let's play mention that you could kill him like that, but maybe I'm just conflating it with the Mayan stone head thing.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Nice work, you managed to capture my attention when you actually decided to talk about the strengths of the game rather than just make fun of it the entire way through. I didn't mind your sequel-bashing as I feel the same way, it's like Trespasser is some weird experimental enigma of a sequel that somehow works when all the others fail. :P And I want to say thanks from all us TresCom folk for the shout-out, we always appreciate it!
The falling jeep in Industrial Jungle (level 3, the one with the gorge) that you thought was meant for the Rex is just meant for a single Raptor who is scripted to stand directly under it. Tough luck with the Mayan pyramid head getting stuck on the steps, that's always kind of funny when that happens, so anti-climactic. One important thing I think you may have missed out on is a brief mention of all the cut content that is available in earlier versions of the game - it's incredible how different some of the levels look in earlier versions, and there are two entire levels completely missing from the final game. But that's only a small detail, otherwise I think for a 40-minute video this is one of the better run-downs of the game. :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:15 pm there are two entire levels completely missing from the final game.
Three, actually, all of them starting with the letter "P": Plantation House, Pine Valley and Plains. And Phil Salas worked on all of them, IIRC. It's "the P curse". ;)

(No relation to Wu's Ool in the Town level - "notice there's no P in it") ;)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
HackFraud
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by HackFraud »

TheIdiot wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:15 pm Nice work, you managed to capture my attention when you actually decided to talk about the strengths of the game rather than just make fun of it the entire way through. I didn't mind your sequel-bashing as I feel the same way, it's like Trespasser is some weird experimental enigma of a sequel that somehow works when all the others fail. :P And I want to say thanks from all us TresCom folk for the shout-out, we always appreciate it!
The falling jeep in Industrial Jungle (level 3, the one with the gorge) that you thought was meant for the Rex is just meant for a single Raptor who is scripted to stand directly under it. Tough luck with the Mayan pyramid head getting stuck on the steps, that's always kind of funny when that happens, so anti-climactic. One important thing I think you may have missed out on is a brief mention of all the cut content that is available in earlier versions of the game - it's incredible how different some of the levels look in earlier versions, and there are two entire levels completely missing from the final game. But that's only a small detail, otherwise I think for a 40-minute video this is one of the better run-downs of the game. :)
I thank you for the kind words. I did ponder on whether or not to talk about the cut content and earlier builds especially with with things like Plantation house and Cathy's beach still being in the game. (I especially wanted to talk about Cathy's beach but I couldn't work it in well). However, I thought it would be best not to touch on that stuff as it was out of my comfort zone as to not screw it up. Looks like I wasn't entirely successful with that either getting the gorge jeep wrong, but at the very at least that a relatively minor point.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:10 pm
TheIdiot wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:15 pm there are two entire levels completely missing from the final game.
Three, actually, all of them starting with the letter "P": Plantation House, Pine Valley and Plains. And Phil Salas worked on all of them, IIRC. It's "the P curse". ;)
I was only counting the ones we have playable levels of. The "P" Curse has resolved itself in two out of three cases so far, hopefully we'll eventually get an early Plains version as well. It seems PL probably did exist in at least some format as the early IT builds we have are missing the dam valley from later IT versions that was intended to be part of PL.
(P.S. just realized the title ""P" Curse" sounds particularily...uh, unfortunate? :P )
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:59 pm The "P" Curse has resolved itself in two out of three cases so far
No, the curse is the fact that they ended up being removed from the final version of the game...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files