Early screenshots location?

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Re: Early screenshots location?

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Ahhhh ok now making sense. Is there a way to take the height map of the entire island and make a level or a way to see it in tresed or guiapp?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

As I said, the Isla Sorna mod has it. Though it is modified with the retail levels. And yes, it is possible. If you properly want to take a look, just open one of the Isla Sorna levels and go into Terrain Edit Mode and fly around. Both BEPH1 and PH2IT has the whole island, even with levels not included.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Ahh ok I did know that would be the whole island thanks for the info.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Been doing some research...

Remember the "phytestheightmap.raw" file? Well, it's an 80x80x8-bit matrix, which when rendered turns out to correspond to a tiny section of the "tarpit" as these images will show:

Attachments
shot2big.png
shot2big.png (189.04 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
shot2big_[1].gif
shot2big_[1].gif (244.57 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
shot4big.png
shot4big.png (152.65 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
Image001.png
Image001.png (187.26 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Niiice :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

That is pretty neat. I guess some of the stuff in the background is just backdrop, and not actual terrain. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

I'm loving that people are still finding little things like this nearly 30 years after release
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:37 am That is pretty neat. I guess some of the stuff in the background is just backdrop, and not actual terrain. :)
No, I think we just happened to get a small slice from the actual (larger) terrain. Wondering if it may still exist somewhere...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

This reminds me of the craggy road area at the Y intersection area that got walled off in B96. That area was supposed to be a swampy area according to the walkthrough. But I'm curious if this matches anything in the max scene from Drac's Tres Re-Eploration.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is quite cool, machf. Would be fun to try and recreate that area in a level with this terrain, especailly if we could somehow unearth the rest of the heightmap.
MinePass wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:50 pm This reminds me of the craggy road area at the Y intersection area that got walled off in B96. That area was supposed to be a swampy area according to the walkthrough. But I'm curious if this matches anything in the max scene from Drac's Tres Re-Eploration.
I believe this has been discussed before as a potential location for that, but I don't think the terrain actually matches. There has also been discussion in the past of the "View Building" screenshot being in this area as well, just outside the walls of the Geo Plant, but ultimately it seems these were never actually part of any proper levels and only their own "showcase terrains".
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:58 am There has also been discussion in the past of the "View Building" screenshot being in this area as well, just outside the walls of the Geo Plant, but ultimately it seems these were never actually part of any proper levels and only their own "showcase terrains".
No, the "View building" has its own files, "HeightField400x400x8.raw" and "MaterialIndex400x400x8.raw". I think I have uploaded a terrain converted from those in the past...
Attachments
MaterialIndex400x400x8.png
MaterialIndex400x400x8.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
HeightField400x400x8.png
HeightField400x400x8.png (24.06 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Yep. The view building files are in the download section.

This image also belong to the view building terrain:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
It is that black-ish smudge on the top-left area of the heightmap.

EDIT: I went ahead and added the heightmap information onto the Concept Art page. I should at some point upload the heightmaps themselves as well.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I remember taking screenshots of all those locations on the map for comparison, including that picture with the stone steps...
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

tatu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:37 am That is pretty neat. I guess some of the stuff in the background is just backdrop, and not actual terrain. :)
That definitely explains a lot, when building this area for my project I couldn't figure out why there seemed to be this blurry effect when you look towards the tree line. Had figured it was just the game or whatever when the image was taken. But now that's been debunked it presents a curiosity. Was this billboard made specifically for this, or was it an actual area, maybe the other side of that tank area in the view building collection, that was photoed and made into a billboard.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Drac finds himself directed here from his Dinosaur studies.

Hmmm pretty neat stuff. I myself can't tell if that's a background image or missing terrain. As much as I like to think this would've gone in that sandy area where the crossroads go... Hmmm, MinePass can you quote the part about a swamp in the walkthrough?