Gmax

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Gmax

Post by machf »

GMax 1.2 is the one we used. Still have the installers at hand.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Got a full version of 3ds max 2010 if that will work. Is registered to me now a friend had the disk. He thought was 6.0 but was 2010. Hehe
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:17 pm Got a full version of 3ds max 2010 if that will work. Is registered to me now a friend had the disk. He thought was 6.0 but was 2010. Hehe
Should work fine. I've used both 3ds Max 8 and 2020 myself without issues (except 8 is older so quite slow :P )
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

So far it looks really good been able to open up models easily and some of the terrain. Something I did not know was the basements seem to be marked so they knew what and where everything was. Also found a bunch of scripts in the tres source that is marked for the different departments so wondering if anyone has actually tried to match them or find out in some cases what those did.
tatu

Post by tatu »

As Nick has said already, I am also using the MeshTools from the source, as it is the only way to properly center an object's pivot.
There hasn't really been any public talk about the various MAX scripts from the source. Most of them have little use as we have the TPM format, and TresEd. Several of them are mainly to help making the level (but we have TresEd).

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Ahhh ok I get the scripts thing. Is part of the original way they did things which is sorely outdated. Now for the meshes. I am still trying to get how the wraps and meshes work with the objects and doing a bunch of tutorials about how 3ds max works so it may take some time. Do you use any of those scripts to take levels apart or put together other ones. I really want to take apart a couple of them and put them together correctly if possible. And not right away but in future revisions. Namely lab level and the pine valley ones to start. That’s where I was trying to head with asking about those.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

UPDATE:: I am actively learning how to use this tool. 3ds max 2010 takes a bit of a learning curve and working on some new models to understand how it works I am also importing and re-saving a bunch of the terrains and they seem to work much better now.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Glad to hear. It took me years to dare to touch 3ds Max even a little bit. While I can't make models in it (I use Sketchup for that, as it is super easy), I have learned some basic texturing and such, and I can fix up models, which I am really happy with learning after all the years :)

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Call me a weirdo but I still use gMax. Though it has some weird memory leak issues on newer computers, if you leave it running long enough it'll start to glitch out. It'll also glitch out if you have a complicated model and dare to have two viewports set to "Smooth and Highlights." But otherwise it's been way more stable on my Windows 11 laptop than my Windows 10 laptop, at least now I can have opacity maps on a texture (viewable in viewport anyway) without crashing to desktop. I was nervous the first time I applied the dirty glass texture to my new Operations Building front doors :lol:

I think the only other communities that have people using the program are the old Flight Simulator communities (due to game paks) and Halo 1 PC, both of which aren't as strong as they used to be and it seems the Flight Simulator game paks don't work on newer computers so that community may fall off. I wouldn't doubt it if in the next few years we're the only ones left and there's not many of us here that actually use it, mainly me :lol:

I will say that when I had access to it I enjoyed using 3ds Max 2010 WAY more than gMax. It's way more user friendly and has a lot more modeling tools available. It'll take a lot of practice but the hardest part is getting a good looking model while staying within the polygon confines of Trespasser, polygon budgeting is an art. Don't let that dissuade you because once you get it down and can get stuff in engine that you made yourself there's a sense of pride that comes with that. Also TresCom needs more 3d modelers.

I have to brave the 30 minute bootup time of my old Windows 10 laptop sometime and pull my stuff off of there. I had some cool JP1 stuff I was working on that looked amazing that I haven't moved over here. That computer was getting so bad that it was infuriating to do anything, something going on with Windows Defender causing it to use 100% of disk activity and max out my RAM until I turned it off, which took ages to do because of how slow the computer was going. But it was a budget sub $200 HP laptop from Walmart so I shouldn't have expected much. My new computer is an Acer Nitro 5 and can play Cyberpunk 2077 very well and has an SSD so it takes 30 seconds to boot up as opposed to 30 minutes.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I used to use Gmax back when I first started to try modelling when I was like 11 or 12 as it was free and there were less options to make things complicated for a newbie. I currently have a college tuition copy of 3ds Max 2018 which somehow never expired (they told me it was good for 4 years but it's been about 7 now). Used to have Max 2013 and 2015 as well, which I got from my cousin who went to school for 3D design so he had the keys. I do not recommend 2015 as the interface was for some reason swapped to a white colour which caused eye strain. I will say that Max isn't especially intuitive, I still have no idea how the godawful material editor really works. But the toolbar on the newer editions with all the extrusion and cutting options is super useful. When my professor was explaining Max to the class, he prefaced it with, "The Material Editor is a giant pile of garbage, but you're going to have to use it, so, anyway...".
The problem with there being so many versions is that there are many plug-ins that only work on specific versions. Luckily our trusty TPM MaxScripts still seem to be okay. But I've seen plenty of instances for other games where they tell you to get this or that version of Max to make sure it works with the scripts. I can imagine that since Gmax is outdated and no longer updated, anything created for it will probably be the latest version.
hppav wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:57 pm I had some cool JP1 stuff I was working on that looked amazing that I haven't moved over here.
Whaaaaa?! Can't wait to see what JP stuff you've come up with since the last time we saw you...
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

tatu wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:36 am Glad to hear. It took me years to dare to touch 3ds Max even a little bit. While I can't make models in it (I use Sketchup for that, as it is super easy), I have learned some basic texturing and such, and I can fix up models, which I am really happy with learning after all the years :)
I am looking into the sketch up program now. If it is easier to build models how do you put them in tresed do they export into 3ds max and export out to tresed that way or is there something else for sketch up I don’t know???
tatu

Post by tatu »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 pm
tatu wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:36 am Glad to hear. It took me years to dare to touch 3ds Max even a little bit. While I can't make models in it (I use Sketchup for that, as it is super easy), I have learned some basic texturing and such, and I can fix up models, which I am really happy with learning after all the years :)
I am looking into the sketch up program now. If it is easier to build models how do you put them in tresed do they export into 3ds max and export out to tresed that way or is there something else for sketch up I don’t know???
Oh, I use 3ds Max for that still. I make my models in Sketchup (I use an older Sketchup 2017 Make version as newer versions are online only). I then export them into 3ds Max where I texture them, and then port them to Trespasser :)

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Still working on sketchup we’ll see how it works soon enough
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

I am a blender guy myself and find blender more easier then gmax but then again we have diffrent things to be great at compared to other stuff.