Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Level ideas & concepts

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh I forgot about the darts in TC Act 1. Though I think those ones... is there a model for the dart? I don't remember.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:02 am Oh man I'd love to see that. You really had working darts in this level?
It was just a trigger that fired a "fake" (invisible) dart and killed you. There was a small log on the ground that you could press on the tiles and a dart would get "fired" into the log and stuck in it like in the movie (by uhiding a CEntityAttached dart that was attached to the log). You could easily get a proper working dart, though - just set its speed really high with the ATX "constant momentum" action and the object does so much damage when it hits something it causes instant death. Only issue is that it causes an incredible explosion of blood, like the toxic dart rifle. :P Perhaps I can find a spot for something like this in my level (although it takes place too far out in the Pacific ocean to feature anything built by the Mesoamericans - more accurate would be the Polynesians, though I don't think they made temples or anything like the Mayans).

I don't believe there is a level that uses actual physical projectile darts to kill the player, though. I could be wrong.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Dont mind me sharing some random image here-
Me fighting the Carnivores Cityscape Giganotosaurus with a broken head of a cassowary statue. We're fighting in broken palette land!!
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

I think undergrowth may sound a bit too much. Cause it's honestly feeling like its gonna take me to create a couple of levels for undergrowth. The level as of now I think may need to be scaled down a bit.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

These are some awsome ideas I'm planning on levels myself.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

So, wheres undergrowth as of now?

Currently, the level is going through hiatus atm. I been focusing on dinosaurs more than trespasser level editing. I still need to add a puzzle to the level although the terrain isn't even done yet. So its gonna take a bit for me to get this levels development going.
Profile done by Mortis.

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

gooplieslime wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:58 pm
The Plains

Description; This is a simple recreation of the planned plains level for Trespasser although it was scrapped and have only a few remnants of it left in Trespasser and the Trescom community like the object placement except the terrain and full level. Also I don't know if I should use the retail CAnimals or the community made CAnimals.

Story; This takes place right after Anne left the Ingen town and she would enter " The Plains " a vast and wide area she would need to travel and find away to leave and get to pine valley.

Ideas
1. Have like 3 or 5 Dinosaurs with tracking gear that have their own difficulties like running away from Anne although she's not even near them or having to lure them to a trap in order to obtain the batteries to activate the gate opener.
Going back to this and, its absolutely impossible to make the Plains only for the fact its those levels where its too big that you'll probably don't know where to go or to even find the planned dinosaurs with tracking gear, cause they'll be off in the distance with a bunch of dinosaurs that it might be enough that one of them might be frozen. Anyways, its way too ambitious for me and I'm still trying to set up a proper mod for me to make.
Profile done by Mortis.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

One of my ideas for a workable Plains was to take the basic heightmap data we have and carve little paths through it, so the explorable area is not so vast. I don't have any plans to actually get to it, though, and it's still quite a large area.
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

I like the idea of a group of herbivores that keep walking away when Anne gets close, eventually leading her to the watering hole or another area where she can trap one with the collar one

Not sure if that is possible with the original engine though
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Can do a ActStayAway with Anne as the target. Tho herbivores move pretty slowly.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I think using anchors and scripts to change their anchor is better than ActStayAway, as that may make them move in a different direction.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

gooplieslime wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:24 pm Going back to this and, its absolutely impossible to make the Plains only for the fact its those levels where its too big that you'll probably don't know where to go or to even find the planned dinosaurs with tracking gear, cause they'll be off in the distance with a bunch of dinosaurs that it might be enough that one of them might be frozen. Anyways, its way too ambitious for me and I'm still trying to set up a proper mod for me to make.
Well, the area intended for Plains is quite vast, yes, and realistically the developers were probably on the right track when they decided to cut it. But it's hardly larger than JR - the difference being that it was apparently quite open. We don't have the actual heightmap for that level, so we don't really know what this area would have really looked like, but tatu and I have done some good work of figuring out where some things might have gone (the northern and western boundaries in particular seem to be represented accurately by the height of some objects in the MaxScene). My guess is that the developers would have carved it up a fair bit in order to add some variety to be a bit closer to the early JR. I do have a concept drawn up for the Isla Sorna project that has tried to make some sense of the Plains area which I'm pretty happy with, using the streams from the MaxScene to divide it up and outline the terrain features established in the walkthrough.
tatu wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:19 pm I think using anchors and scripts to change their anchor is better than ActStayAway, as that may make them move in a different direction.
tatu's idea definitely works best here. :) I've tried doing that exact thing with ActStayAway and they end up just scattering randomly, to the point that they can do things the shouldn't (enter AI boxes, go over cliffs, etc). You can change basically everything about a CAnimal's AI using triggers, so it would be simple enough to put down a Location trigger with PlayerEnter = true, and have it set so that the CAnimals move to a different anchor when you approach. They do seem to very stricly follow StayNear commands when told to go to anchors - I've been using a lot of those in CloningFacility to get the CAnimals to move exactly where I want them, and they do it pretty well as long as there's nothing in the way.
Another RTJP feature was to have a single "pack leader" CAnimal which all of the others in its group would have been set to StayNear. Then if needed I could tell the leader to StayNear a different location, and they'd all follow him there (in theory). This also helps to make sure they all aggressively keep together instead of one dino potentially straying off randomly. If you killed the pack leader, the animals, depending on their species or the situation, might have scattered or retreated.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Another RTJP feature was to have a single "pack leader" CAnimal which all of the others in its group would have been set to StayNear. Then if needed I could tell the leader to StayNear a different location, and they'd all follow him there (in theory). This also helps to make sure they all aggressively keep together instead of one dino potentially straying off randomly. If you killed the pack leader, the animals, depending on their species or the situation, might have scattered or retreated.
Huh that sounds pretty neat. Could also set a pack of raptors to follow an herbivore, which could in turn be racing toward a distant ActStayNear target.
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

TheIdiot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:52 pm
Well, the area intended for Plains is quite vast, yes, and realistically the developers were probably on the right track when they decided to cut it. But it's hardly larger than JR - the difference being that it was apparently quite open. We don't have the actual heightmap for that level, so we don't really know what this area would have really looked like, but tatu and I have done some good work of figuring out where some things might have gone (the northern and western boundaries in particular seem to be represented accurately by the height of some objects in the MaxScene). My guess is that the developers would have carved it up a fair bit in order to add some variety to be a bit closer to the early JR. I do have a concept drawn up for the Isla Sorna project that has tried to make some sense of the Plains area which I'm pretty happy with, using the streams from the MaxScene to divide it up and outline the terrain features established in the walkthrough.

Is there a Blender compatable file of that 3D Max scene around? And is it the terrain or is the terrain missing as written here: https://www.trescom.org/2017/05/29/drac ... s-release/

If I read correctly, Draco has recreated parts of the terrian from the heights of the assets that we do have
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

codemuk3y wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:48 am Is there a Blender compatable file of that 3D Max scene around? And is it the terrain or is the terrain missing as written here: https://www.trescom.org/2017/05/29/drac ... s-release/

If I read correctly, Draco has recreated parts of the terrian from the heights of the assets that we do h
Not that I know of, someone would have to convert the MaxScene. There is no terrain, though...the only hint as to what the terrain might have looked like is the height of the objects, but for the most part it seems very inaccurate. If you check out Draco's example, the Plains is actually very hilly, moreso even than the rest of the island. There are definitely some places where the object height is pretty close to what we have, though, such as around the foot of Mount Watson and the Dam valley. If I remember correctly some of the TrnObjs even line up decently with the IT "plains" area - one of the streams seems to be a runoff for the Dam.

Below is my rough layout for Plains, based on the very rough heightmap data we have so far for that part of the island as well as the walkthrough. I tried to use the height data we have to outline the layout. The "Gate to Town" could alternatively be pushed a bit further down the valley toward the dam. I tried to place everything so that you are forced to explore the entire area. I also missed two of the streams but they could definitely be worked in.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)