Gmax setup and basic commands to import and export

Post tutorials for 3D modeling in 3D Studio Max, GMax, Blender, and other 3D apps.

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper, TresCom Support Team

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Gmax setup and basic commands to import and export

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I have not found any information on the forums that show exactly how to set up gmax to view levels or even simple objects and export them back into a file for trespasser. Could someone please explain how you need to setup gmax for this, including what scripts where they go and how to import and export please? Thank you very much in advance.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Gmax setup and basic commands to import and export

Post by Nick3069 »

I don't think anyone here uses Gmax or 3ds Max to modify levels directly, TresEd is much simpler to use.
If you want to try, the maxscripts the devs used can be found here:
https://github.com/OpenTrespasser/Juras ... /MAXScript
The only one of those that I use is MeshTools.ms which is useful for centering the pivot point on objects.

I've already showed you how to import TPMs to Gmax:
Nick3069 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:22 am If Gmax is activated, make sure you're using the correct MAXscript:
https://www.trescom.org/download/tpm-im ... axscripts/
I haven't used Gmax in over a decade as I have switched over to 3ds Max, but I think the import process is identical on both. In the sidebar, click the wrench tab, click MAXScript, click Run Script, select tpmimport2.ms, select TPM Import from the Utilities drop-down menu, click Import TPM, and select your TPM model. Your model should have imported correctly, but Trespasser's scale is very small and your object might not have been centered on 0,0,0 when it was exported, so click the Zoom Extents All Selected button to center and zoom on the object.
And how to export to TPM:
Nick3069 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 am Gmax does not allow you to export files in a conventional way, you have to use tpmexp124y-gmax.ms or trr_export-gmax.ms, which exports the model to the maxscript listener and then use a tool called GMaxSLGRAB to export that data to a file:
http://www.katsbits.com/files/md5/GMaxSLGRAB.zip
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

What Nick said. Even the devs have praised TresEd for how much easier it is than how they had to deal with the levels. But Gmax really is very much like 3ds Max, with minor differences. If you follow most tips here for 3ds Max, they should apply to Gmax as well.
And in the past, we've had few people who actually done models overall, so there hasn't really been any tutorial for new people, as there isn't much use to import an object or level into Gmax/3ds Max unless you need to modify them, and with that you should know the basics anyway of the program.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Let me explain then. I just wanted to get some of them changed from the 3ds models to the tpm so I can import them. Mainly what I wanted as far as the models. Now for the terrain. User created terrains from height maps need or needed to be put through max in order to use properly in the tres engine. These are the things I wanted to do with max.