constantly changing raptor model.

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

constantly changing raptor model.

Post by gooplieslime »

The dinosaur models in trespasser has evolved with slight model & texture edits like the Triceratops dealt with the most texture changes from being red to a simple grey and the trex went from simple green for the male and female and then to brown for female and green for male and a new trex variant being the alpha red rex. Parasaurolophus and Stegosaurus had their model changed and textures as well, the Parasaurolophus almost went with the movie texture until it was the jurassic cafe painting version which was another dinosaur I think.

Anyways the actual thing I wanna talk about is the constant velociraptor model changing. Alright I'm gonna start with the first one that Is my favorite one being the 3Dsmax velociraptors. Personally I find them to be the absolute best ones made for Trespasser during its development. I see them as to be the most accurate model personally. It has a texture variant which Is supposed to be a female? sorry if I'm a bit dumb on this one, I'm unsure what the other texture variant is.

To the second velociraptor model being the mockup image velociraptors, I think we know this fella by now. This is the second 3Dsmax Velciraptor made for Trespasser during its development, this is the dummy used for most mockup image of Trespasser `gameplay` and even in renders before they got an actual game engine to work with, which we know this model didnt make the cut. The texture goes with a bit harder with the orange color and reddish tiger stripes

To the third velociraptor model being the rare velociraptor model used for renders. This model is unique from the rest mainly because this one has teeth actually modeled which we know Trespasser went with billboard teeth instead of actual modeled teeth which is... weird and confusing since most of the velociraptor models used billboard teeth

To the fourth velociraptor model being a much more rarer velociraptor model. This model has an inconsistent shape and UV that kept changing and they would be used for Trespasser but not as the actual model for the CAnimal but instead were used in the render the main menu uses.. So they were technically in the game...

To the fifth and final velociraptor model, the long clawed and short clawed brown velociraptor. The long clawed velociraptor is the one that appeared at the E3 build or build 22 while the short clawed velociraptor appeared in one mock up render and in the PC Gamer review copy of a Trespasser build being that of Build 32. The short clawed velociraptor would be the final model the retail raptors would use with a slight model edit and new textures.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: constantly changing raptor model.

Post by TheIdiot »

Funny how the model went further and further from the actual TLW model as time went on. The initial pairing in the first image looks quite good (I'm guessing the brown one is their interpretation of the JP1 Raptor scheme, but in actuality it is more orange/black than brown) - I wish we had those models still as they seem to be much higher-poly than any other the other ones. I'm also quite a fan of the 3DS Max versions (as well as that version of the Rex), they look the most accurate to me versus the ones in the movie. It's a shame only the Tribe A Raptors in the original game maintained a movie-esque colour scheme, as none of the other dinosaurs did.

The two final Raptors we got with the early builds are such a letdown compared to some of those earlier ones. It looks to me like the E3 version might be the same model as some previous iterations, though heavily modified and reduced to a game-friendly polycount by that point. At least this one has a pretty film-accurate colour scheme - looks pretty close to the JP1-scheme Raptors in TLW (which look slightly different than their JP1 counterparts- more stripes and darker colours):
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

TheIdiot wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm Funny how the model went further and further from the actual TLW model as time went on. The initial pairing in the first image looks quite good (I'm guessing the brown one is their interpretation of the JP1 Raptor scheme, but in actuality it is more orange/black than brown) - I wish we had those models still as they seem to be much higher-poly than any other the other ones. I'm also quite a fan of the 3DS Max versions (as well as that version of the Rex), they look the most accurate to me versus the ones in the movie. It's a shame only the Tribe A Raptors in the original game maintained a movie-esque colour scheme, as none of the other dinosaurs did.

The two final Raptors we got with the early builds are such a letdown compared to some of those earlier ones. It looks to me like the E3 version might be the same model as some previous iterations, though heavily modified and reduced to a game-friendly polycount by that point. At least this one has a pretty film-accurate colour scheme - looks pretty close to the JP1-scheme Raptors in TLW (which look slightly different than their JP1 counterparts- more stripes and darker colours):
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
The devs didnt even know how much polygons or texture resolution the game engine would actually sustain. So they completely had to sacrifice the high poly model with a lower poly one the game can accept along with changing the textures.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I believe the long-clawed raptor was originally used in marketing for the Lost World PS1 game, the same goes with the orange stripped one.
If you study the images with the orange stripped raptor, you can see how the model is static, as in most images it has the same position, even if the image is from different angles. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

I know both the long clawed raptor and the short clawed raptor's texture look similar to the velociraptor in the plains concept art in the character gallery, especially the head texture they use.
Profile done by Mortis.

tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

gooplieslime wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:43 pm I know both the long clawed raptor and the short clawed raptor's texture look similar to the velociraptor in the plains concept art in the character gallery, especially the head texture they use.
More than likely it is the long-clawed raptor but with the orange, tiger striped texture on it.

And I just remember that the early Steg is also static, as the one in the Plains concept has the head turned, as well as the image where it is at the Dam. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

tatu wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:00 pm
gooplieslime wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:43 pm I know both the long clawed raptor and the short clawed raptor's texture look similar to the velociraptor in the plains concept art in the character gallery, especially the head texture they use.
More than likely it is the long-clawed raptor but with the orange, tiger striped texture on it.

And I just remember that the early Steg is also static, as the one in the Plains concept has the head turned, as well as the image where it is at the Dam. :)
The stego in the Dam render kinda reminds me of group picture of the herbivore animatronics used in TLW where the stego has its head turned to its young but its viewed from the side.
Profile done by Mortis.