Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: The (un)known missing levels.

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glad you got that figured out. There were a few hoops, looks like you were successful in the end. Don't hesitate to ask more questions as they come up! We are happy to help new modders learn the ropes.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thank you for that. When you export something out of the release or demo or from anywhere really do you need to keep all the files it generates from the export in order to import it back later? Or are there just certain ones, because I already exported the beach ocean and a couple of other things there but it produced multiple files. I put each export in its own folder.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:43 pm Thank you for that. When you export something out of the release or demo or from anywhere really do you need to keep all the files it generates from the export in order to import it back later? Or are there just certain ones, because I already exported the beach ocean and a couple of other things there but it produced multiple files. I put each export in its own folder.
No, not if you do level backups as I think Drac suggested. In other words, every day copy your level files into a folder labeled, jan##_backup. As you progress and there are no problems arising, you can delete the
earlier backups. One thing you should do is keep all textures of the models that you have imported into a separate folder so if you need to do a swap update (that's repacking a swap file) you have all the necessary
texture files needed to do that.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Screenshot (245).png
Screenshot (245).png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1589 times
ok thats great.. but.. I am trying to figure out where some things go, as the 2 other objects I imported to the level are not showing up anywhere at all.. I scanned the entire basement.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Under the Edit menu button there is a find and search option. Type in the name of the object you want to find and if it exists, that'll bring you right to it.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thank you so much. I found them using that method. I will be importing more, but I got this already..

Screenshot (246).png
Screenshot (246).png (781.22 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I haven't gotten around to make a proper reply of the issues you had, but glad you are making progress, and not giving up!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking good so far. Hit CTRL+F to quickly get to the Find function.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The terrain objects…. Can you use any levels terrain objects in the same level or are they going to crash. And yes am running the ce version. I am trying different terrain for different results and was not sure on that. Getting the hang of moving other objects around the export and import function are getting easier as I go. After I get the terrain set up and understand it. I would like to do the sounds. Voice over and ambient etc for the level I will be working on. Btw - plains is taking a back seat till I get everything learned then I will go back to it.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:04 pm The terrain objects…. Can you use any levels terrain objects in the same level or are they going to crash. And yes am running the ce version. I am trying different terrain for different results and was not sure on that. Getting the hang of moving other objects around the export and import function are getting easier as I go. After I get the terrain set up and understand it. I would like to do the sounds. Voice over and ambient etc for the level I will be working on. Btw - plains is taking a back seat till I get everything learned then I will go back to it.
You generally can't mix and match terrain objects from other levels as they generally don't share the same palette. And no, the level won't crash but the terrain textures will have all screwed up colors. Don't do it -
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thanks. You can use other object or models in different levels though, right? For example put the church building from in town into the palette that was from the beach level.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:16 pm Thanks. You can use other object or models in different levels though, right? For example put the church building from in town into the palette that was from the beach level.
Sure can. But take note of the palette count that GeomAdd gives you after each import as you are limited to 98. You'd be surprised as to how quickly you can reach that limit.
So yeah, only terrain textures require use of the same palette -
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Correct, don't export a terrain objects from another level and directly import to yours. You have to change the pallet before you import. As mentioned earlier, the pallets of textures can be changed with PaintShop Pro or Wally, but other programs can also be used; back when I started modding Trespasser I used Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks.

It's good practice to do the same for all objects to avoid hitting the pallet limit. For example, you might be able to use the same pallet for the sky and the ocean because they are both blue and you might be able to use the terrain pallet for some trees and other plants.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just want to chime in that GIMP and PhotoShop also work for palette-swapping, so long as you keep the image on Indexed colour. I don't use PhotoShop but I've used GIMP for a long time and found it to also be useful for creating new palettes.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Right now. Am just playing around with different terrain objects and import export seeing how things are set up. Not going to be changing palettes. Will post when I need the next steps.