Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Re: Trespasser CE and NVIDIA RTX Remix

Post by codemuk3y »

TheIdiot wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 pm
Doesn't seem as if this does anything to take the AI and level limits away, though. This software only replaces the renderer - the engine limitations would still be present from what it seems.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I'm hoping that the Open tres project and the ATX/CE projects make the engine more stable.

The NVIDIA remix would be ok, but theres lots missing from it if you want to do anything but the original game but with better graphics and objecs. There's no AI improvements, it looks like you can swap items in and out but not move them around. It would be ok, but hugely restrictive.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

tatu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:22 am
codemuk3y wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:49 am
TheIdiot wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 pm
Doesn't seem as if this does anything to take the AI and level limits away, though. This software only replaces the renderer - the engine limitations would still be present from what it seems.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I'm hoping that the Open tres project and the ATX/CE projects make the engine more stable.
Sadly Lee is MIA, and OpenTres has not seen activity in over a year. They ran into issues converting from DX6 to 7 IIRC (or 7 to 8 ). And like most Tres projects, it is only 1-2 people working on it to begin with!

I wonder if this new system will tank Trespasser's performance though, if adding a light system. As for stability. Increasing the memory settings in CE appears to make the game much more stable.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I wonder if this new system will tank Trespasser's performance though, if adding a light system. As for stability. Increasing the memory settings in CE appears to make the game much more stable.
I don't think so. If it's replacing the renderer completely, it should be capable of handling a lot more visually than Trespasser itself. If it's only replacing the renderer, though, I worry that other Tres engine problems like too many objects will still break it since those seem to be engine-related problems. It would be nice if it turned out otherwise as that would finally unlock the key to the one-level Isla Sorna experience.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:26 am
I don't think so. If it's replacing the renderer completely, it should be capable of handling a lot more visually than Trespasser itself. If it's only replacing the renderer, though, I worry that other Tres engine problems like too many objects will still break it since those seem to be engine-related problems. It would be nice if it turned out otherwise as that would finally unlock the key to the one-level Isla Sorna experience.
I guess. This will still not solve us not being able to have HD terrain textures though, based on how the game renders them 8-)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Now this is going to be slightly out there but i wonder if it would be possible to run the original Trespasser code inside of UE4/5, in the same way that Grove Street Games got GTA III, VC and SA running inside of UE4, which if i understand correctly they achieved by creating tools that translate the original code into something that Unreal could understand and execute. I know nothing about coding so this might be a pipe dream, but wouldn't it solve basically all the engine related issues that Trespasser modders are facing? It would be like Trespasser CE on steroids, removing even more limitations and adding more capabilities. Obviously easier said than done but i wanted to at least put it out there. Maybe there's someone skilled and crazy enough to at least try their hand at it :P
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

tatu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:47 pm

I guess. This will still not solve us not being able to have HD terrain textures though, based on how the game renders them 8-)
Is the terrain not handled as just an object?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
tatu

Post by tatu »

Double_G wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:28 pm Now this is going to be slightly out there but i wonder if it would be possible to run the original Trespasser code inside of UE4/5, in the same way that Grove Street Games got GTA III, VC and SA running inside of UE4, which if i understand correctly they achieved by creating tools that translate the original code into something that Unreal could understand and execute. I know nothing about coding so this might be a pipe dream, but wouldn't it solve basically all the engine related issues that Trespasser modders are facing? It would be like Trespasser CE on steroids, removing even more limitations and adding more capabilities. Obviously easier said than done but i wanted to at least put it out there. Maybe there's someone skilled and crazy enough to at least try their hand at it :P
Unsure? It might allow more with the engine, but it would probably require a lot of custom code and re-works in order to work as intended. From what I've read, the "remakes" of the GTA games had (and still have?) major issues on release.
codemuk3y wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:00 am
tatu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:47 pm

Is the terrain not handled as just an object?
I guess? But not how it applies the terrain textures. I remember Lee say the engine does 7 or so passes to apply the terrain objects. And that happens during the level load. That is why you don't have terrain textures pop in and out (even if you have the low quality bug).

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

tatu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:35 pmUnsure? It might allow more with the engine, but it would probably require a lot of custom code and re-works in order to work as intended. From what I've read, the "remakes" of the GTA games had (and still have?) major issues on release.
A lot of those problems seem to stem from the fact that Grove Street Games received an impossible task of remastering 3 huge and complex games while being a small team and working on a budget. Most of those issues are a result of poorly executed and rushed efforts to bring the assets to a modern standard and more importantly falling short of the standard expected of Rockstar Games. There are other similar projects that come to mind, that were a bit more successful, like Daggerfall Unity. Anyway, it's just something fun to think about :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

As stated on the Discord, this has now been released: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... -download/
However, it seems a lot of games have issues with it not working, including Trespasser.

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Yeah, I tried getting it to work for a while, but couldn't. I'm going to wait until someone figures out a way to do it more easily. Ingen Town should look pretty cool with pathtracing, even without any asset swapping