Existing versions of Trespasser

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Existing versions of Trespasser

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:The Portuguese version has finally been uploaded to the internet. The ISO is corrupt so it is not a pure clone, but the uploaded mentioned which files was replaced to preserve the dubbing!
Version is 117.

https://archive.org/details/trespasser-pt-br

This means that we should have all known official localized versions of the game. Should definitely get a page on the download section to allow people to get the various TPAs at some point. :)
Took quite a long time...
tatu wrote:
Nick3069 wrote: Aren't we still missing French?
Negative. It was found about 3 years ago but on a site I can't really link here. :)
Hmmm, I can't remember if I have a backup of that one or not...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I was able to find the French version on a French abandonware website. I think it was Abandonware-France.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Nick3069 wrote:I was able to find the French version on a French abandonware website. I think it was Abandonware-France.
Probably where I found it. I just didn't link any as I am unsure whatever it will be counted as an "illegal" site or not, even if the game is abandonware 8-)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
B-Man Taylor
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by B-Man Taylor »

There's a Big Box Edition on eBay right now from Italy. It's a bit pricey could ask the seller but they do sell a lot of games in general so they may unlikely know. Also does every Big Box Edition come with a game manual? Because the one from Italy has one but there's another Big Box Edition on eBay which doesn't and the one I got didn't have one either but neither mentioned it was missing, as in it was meant to be included. And does anyone know why some copies of the game don't have a CD key/serial number?
Attachments
IMG20230129183907.jpg
IMG20230129183907.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 11517 times
IMG20230129183912.jpg
IMG20230129183912.jpg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 11517 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!
I would assume each boxed release would come with a manual. My Swedish copy did, with a manual in Swedish.

The "serial" you are referring to is the bar code. The game don't use a serial in any releases. They are just different types of barcodes. I think they are required to have these. Funny enough, I have both versions of your images (well your first one is the German release, I have a Swedish and the only difference would be the "Vertrieb durch" text on the right logo). The first one is of the disc that comes with the big box version. The 2nd is a release that didn't come with a big box, where the manual is inside the CD case (while on the big box version, the case only has the cover and a standalone manual instead).

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome to Trespassic Community. Hmm I wonder exactly how many versions of the game there are, beyond just language releases.
B-Man Taylor
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by B-Man Taylor »

Thank you for the welcome. I didn't know my German version was from the Big Box, I guess that explains the lack of System Requirements on the case haha, my US Big Box case is the same.
tatu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:37 am The "serial" you are referring to is the bar code. The game don't use a serial in any releases. They are just different types of barcodes. I think they are required to have these.
However my Collector Edition in the DVD case has both barcode codes on it. It's from the UK so maybe its a European thing because my US versions don't have it, I'm assuming the DW at the start stands for Dream Works. Is your Swedish version in English with Swedish subs Tatu?
Attachments
IMG20230130080838.jpg
IMG20230130080838.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 11488 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

It could be a EU thing. It probably has to do with archiving, like books that have unique numbers for each release, which is why you can search the ID to find it :)

My Swedish copy is the English UK release. What machf posted on the first post of confirmed translations are basically the only official ones there is.
The Chinese one was not dubbed, though Japanese one is unknown (either it never got a release there, or it is super rare). Funnily enough the Italian release is the English one, even though Italy did (do) translate almost everything.
There is also at least one unofficial Russian dub. However, all releases very likely came with the box and manual written in the local language. :)

Растишка
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Растишка »

In Russian, the game was released not only by Fargus. There was another version. From also a pirate company called "7 Wolf".
Image Image
Until recently, this version was very hard to find.

Unlike Fargus, whose translation of the game's text into Russian was terrible, representing some kind of eerie semblance of transliteration in Latin, 7 Wolf somehow managed to get Cyrillic to display normally. But text translation cannot be called excellent either, because the meaning of the phrases is sometimes distorted, differing in meaning from the original.

The Russian voice acting from "7 Wolf" is inferior to the voices from "Fargus".

But in terms of the sum of the qualities, the version from "7 Wolf" is the best.

This is what the text of "Fargus" looks like:
Spoiler: show
fbdd377aa2375f11c49f8849bc1a6dbc.jpg
fbdd377aa2375f11c49f8849bc1a6dbc.jpg (491.07 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
And like this in "7 Wolf":
Spoiler: show
2023-06-09_023805.jpg
2023-06-09_023805.jpg (154.79 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
2023-06-09_023838.jpg
2023-06-09_023838.jpg (131.65 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
2023-06-09_023951.jpg
2023-06-09_023951.jpg (190.37 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
If anyone is interested, I uploaded this Russian version here: https://pixeldrain.com/u/8NmH6hDU

Also, the version from "7 Wolf" refuses to work with Tresspaser CE. Therefore, playing the game in high resolutions with Russian localization will not work. :cry:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Interesting...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nice find. What I find really interesting is how they manage to hack the TPA files before the community was, and both implement both custom audio and subtitles. I don't believe we could add subtitles until Rebel did his TPA Reader (and later TPA Player)?

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Nice, another version of the game to add to my collection! :mrgreen:
Растишка wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:55 pm Unlike Fargus, whose translation of the game's text into Russian was terrible, representing some kind of eerie semblance of transliteration in Latin, 7 Wolf somehow managed to get Cyrillic to display normally.
Forum user cynodesmus managed to get the Fargus version to show Cyrillic symbols. They didn't say how, but I think it was by replacing the font Trespasser uses with a custom font file that comes with that release. (TRESP.TTF)
Растишка wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:55 pm Also, the version from "7 Wolf" refuses to work with Tresspaser CE. Therefore, playing the game in high resolutions with Russian localization will not work. :cry:
The 7 Wolf team must have modified the EXE in a way to replace all the text strings with Cyrillic letters. Since CE uses a separate EXE, all of the strings are switched back to English with Latin letters, however CE has a feature where you can replace all the EXE's text string with a TXT file. Bad news is that the TXT needs to be encoded in ANSI which only supports Latin letters, so it would need to be a Romanized version of Russian. Maybe we can find a similar font replacement hack that the Fargus version uses.

UPDATE:
I just looked at the files of the 7 Wolf version and it seems they also use a font replacement method. (AXDFG.TTF) I'll have to look into it some more.
cynodesmus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cynodesmus »

Nick3069 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:11 amForum user cynodesmus managed to get the Fargus version to show Cyrillic symbols. They didn't say how, but I think it was by replacing the font Trespasser uses with a custom font file that comes with that release. (TRESP.TTF)
I managed to achieve the display of Cyrillic alphabet only after replacing the *.nls code page file
I used this method when translating the game myself.
However, this will not work on the translations of Fargus, since they tried to create their own font. But I don’t remember that their subtitles could ever be read in Russian.

Right here - https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 47#p138647 translation option for game_strings.txt, but also with it - it also requires replacing с_1252.nls with c_1251.nls
Растишка wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:55 pmTherefore, playing the game in high resolutions with Russian localization will not work. :cry:
Try the method of replacing the nls file.
I think that with this method the translation you did will also work.
P.S. I responded to your message earlier, but I'm not sure you received it.