Destroyable crates

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Destroyable crates

Post by Teromen »

Has anyone ever attempted to make a destroyable crate? In my limited experience with physics objects they seem to sort of slide. So maybe a collision indentation to hold the top of the crate in place?
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Destroyable crates

Post by Hilwo »

Teromen wrote:Has anyone ever attempted to make a destroyable crate? In my limited experience with physics objects they seem to sort of slide. So maybe a collision indentation to hold the top of the crate in place?
Knowing Trespasser, that sounds like a recipe for disaster :razz: I'd still love to see it, though. No clue if it has been attempted before. I remember people adding explosives/explosions and destructible glass, but that was way back in the ATX days.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I don't remember any level that has destructible crates, but they should be possible.
You could make a box out of 6 panels and add triggers so the panels fall off if a certain amount of force is applied, but the crate wouldn't be able to move.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Can anyone else help me with the trigger setup if I make a small demo map with a crate?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Teromen, I suggest you take a look at the brown wooden chair in BE. It can be broken apart in a similar fashion and can also be picked up. Unfortunately the BreakStrength seems to be too low on it as it immediately falls apart upon pickup. But this is definitely possible. Hilwo is right in being concerned about the physics going haywire, though - any time you have an object like this that is going to be coming apart, there's always a risk of it just exploding. You might have to give each piece its own $ objects which are a bit smaller than the pieces themselves in order to ensure their physics do not interoplate.
Nick3069 wrote: You could make a box out of 6 panels and add triggers so the panels fall off if a certain amount of force is applied, but the crate wouldn't be able to move.
The crate could be moveable if each element was attached to the "main" one via magnet - you can't attach Slave magnets to Slave magnets, but you can attach multiple Slaves to a Master and have the Master be moveable. The magnets would need the Breakable and BreakStrength values set properly to keep it together.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI is right about a moveable, destructible crate via magnets. You could have them breakable, but I believe there is a script method to manually turn all the magnets off, if that better suits the setting.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

TheIdiot wrote:The crate could be moveable if each element was attached to the "main" one via magnet - you can't attach Slave magnets to Slave magnets, but you can attach multiple Slaves to a Master and have the Master be moveable. The magnets would need the Breakable and BreakStrength values set properly to keep it together.
Oh, I don't remember any moveable, breakable objects. That's good to know.
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

If destroyable crates where a thing I would barly focus on the dinos and just smash!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

We really should make one. Tres has been asking for it for a long time. Hmm I'd want to put it together with some kind of puzzle (other than it just blocking the way).