TresEd selection lag

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

TresEd selection lag

Post by Nick3069 »

I've noticed that when I click to select an object in TresEd, the program freezes for a while and the more objects on screen there are the longer it takes, it can take more than 10 seconds. This is very inconvenient and frustrating. The strange thing is if I make a selection rectangle instead of a simple click it doesn't freeze at all, but objects are only selected if they're completely captured by the rectangle and unwanted objects can be accidentally selected, so it's not a perfect workaround.

Has anyone else been getting these slowdowns and is there any solution to stop them?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: TresEd selection lag

Post by Draconisaurus »

I've had that issue for years, and so over time just got used to it and/or found work-arounds.

Your observations are a good place to start. After a while you can train yourself to find viewing angles with less on-screen objs without thinking about it. Looking down, for example. Another trick I noticed is to select an obj, from up close, on faces which are pointing straight up (ex: the top side of a door handle).
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I've had this issue in the past. For me it was related to using an Intel GPU, more specified a laptop integrated GPU. I do know back in the day, desktop Intel integrated GPU's also had issues with TresEd, making stuff like the coordinates, and what object selected blank.

So if you have more than one GPU, make sure TresEd is using the right one. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Your observations are a good place to start. After a while you can train yourself to find viewing angles with less on-screen objs without thinking about it. Looking down, for example. Another trick I noticed is to select an obj, from up close, on faces which are pointing straight up (ex: the top side of a door handle).
That is one trick I've been using. Another trick is if the object I want to select is a trigger or a physics box, I'll click the N button to turn off all the "regular" objects.
tatu wrote:I've had this issue in the past. For me it was related to using an Intel GPU, more specified a laptop integrated GPU. I do know back in the day, desktop Intel integrated GPU's also had issues with TresEd, making stuff like the coordinates, and what object selected blank.

So if you have more than one GPU, make sure TresEd is using the right one. :)
I had a feeling it was GPU related because I didn't have this problem on my old computer. My current CPU and GPU are from AMD though. Maybe TresEd is using my CPU's graphics instead of my GPU, if so I'll have to check to see if there is a way to force it to use my GPU.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nick3069 wrote:So if you have more than one GPU, make sure TresEd is using the right one. :)
I had a feeling it was GPU related because I didn't have this problem on my old computer. My current CPU and GPU are from AMD though. Maybe TresEd is using my CPU's graphics instead of my GPU, if so I'll have to check to see if there is a way to force it to use my GPU.[/quote]

Possible? I think in Task Manager you can see which GPU it is using. For me who only uses one, it says GPU 0, but on my laptop I have 2, I forgot how that looks. But then I have Nvidia and you can change GPU in the settings, not sure how AMD does it. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."