print screen button not working in win10

List your programs here (game-related or other software).

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, madppiper, TresCom Support Team

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

print screen button not working in win10

Post by Rebel »

I don't seem to be the only one who ran into this problem. You could use the snipping tool to capture the screen, but I wrote a little program
just the same (I don't need any bells n' whistles, just a damn screenshot). If anyone's interested, when I finish screwing with it I'll upload it.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: print screen button not working in win10

Post by tatu »

I have not had this issue myself. The only time I experience not being able to take screenshots (they came out completely black) was when I had an laptop with only integrated Intel GPU.
And of course, if the game is installed in "Program Files", make sure to run it in admin mode, otherwise you might not have write permissions to the folder which could also cause the game not to save screenshots.
Feel free to upload the tool when you're done with it ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

Print screen works for me, I've taken a heap of in game screen shots
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

codemuk3y wrote:Print screen works for me, I've taken a heap of in game screen shots
It's an odd thing. Checked settings, couldn't find anything amiss. From web searches, I apparently am not the only one with this issue.
What I wrote wouldn't work for full screen gaming as you need access to the taskbar. Mainly, I did it for TresEd and website captures. Ms'
snipping tool works fine, but then it shows you the damn capture, then you have to save it, assign it a name; a bit convoluted for what I
was looking for. My captures go immediately to a documents/screencaps folder -

@Edit

ScnCapture program link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qapig1n0 ... e.zip/file

(Tested on Windows10 only)

Program is designed for quick screen_captures. User must have access to the taskbar to access the program,
so you cannot take a screen capture if taskbar is not visible (ie. games running in full screen). I placed
the ScnCapture folder inside of of the Program Files (x86) Folder to ensure stability on a 64bit system n'
right clicked on executable and chose 'pin to taskbar' for easy access and availability. Another option is
to choose 'Pin to Start'

Screen captures are stored inside Documents/ScreenCaps folder (program creates this folder upon first use,
or if it is unintentionally deleted or moved (checks when program is first opened). Pics are numbered se-
qentially (ie. Scn_Capture_1, 2, etc) though will be overwritten if previous ones exists with each use of
the program.

You can either use the button to capture the screen, or the [tab] key. Do not move, edit or delete folder
labeled 'resources' inside of program's main folder (it contains required graphics and sound file (wav)).

Due note, the program's window must be up (visible on screen) before using the capture button or tab key.

Anyways, how useful the program is to others is up for debate, it's just something I needed at present . . .
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

When I press the Print Screen key, the game crashes and a completely black screenshot is generated. However, I can use AMD Software to safely take screenshots with hotkeys (Ctrl + Shift + I) and I think NVidia has a similar feature.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Have you tried holding the FN key and hitting Print Screen? I seem to recall that working on the school computers we had when I was in college. No idea why some Win10 PCs were like that.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

My keyboard doesn't have an FN key, but I doubt that's the problem. The fact that a screenshot is generated at all seems to indicate that the correct key was struck, but the screenshot is blank for whatever reason. I think it's a hardware compatibility issue. Maybe Trespasser doesn't like AMD GPUs and Intel integrated graphics.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yet another reason to dislike Win10, I guess...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Could be useful down the road as Tres runs into compatibility issues with ongoing new Windows versions. Thanks Rebel.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks, Drac. I actually have a use for it, mainly for tresed caps and online. Beats the hell out of hitting the print screen button, then opening up a bitmap, pasting it, then saving it.
This way, all the snapshots are inside the screencaps folder waiting for me (they do get overwritten with his new session, but so long as the program is placed on the taskbar another
session wouldn't begin until you shut your computer down and restart). Even with ms' snipping tool has too much bs associated with it -