Making some terrains for modders. Base Levels Added.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Making some terrains for modders. Base Levels Added.

Post by Teromen »

I'm making some random landscapes for moders to create maps with if they wish.

Here is a "map" I drew of the first one. The blue is the river and ocean, white is the hills/cliffs and black or grey is lower elevation. White-Grey-Black is elevation like a Heightmap. The entire level will slowly slope downhill towards the ocean, the terrain in the plains near the ocean will likely be fairly flat. The white areas in the ocean will be islands.

I don't think I'm going to include a waterfall, I just want a steep hill between the gray and black areas where the river flows downhill that isn't climbable. I don't think The entire river can have water unless the water sheet is able to be set at an angle, which I doubt works in the game engine. But I can include some dips in the terrain where water can be placed. It's a work in progress. If anyone has any ideas to add feel free to share.

Also, if anyone wants to draw their own map I might be able to make a terrain from it too. Let me know.

I just wanted to release a pack of terrains for the community to turn into maps. I might go ahead and texture them(at least 1 I guess) to make the process easier for moders. Finishing touches can be done in TresEd.
Last edited by Teromen on Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Making some terrains for modders, an example sketch.

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm. Just finished replying to you in PM. But I might also be interested in a custom terrain if I map it out in pencil. Sounds like a nice idea.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Go for it. Include as many details as you want also. I'm not a great artist so I just make basic sketches.

I'd love to see someones ideas for a landscape. Are you pretty good with a pencil? I've seen some pencil work of a persons face that looked lifelike. He would roll up a piece of paper into a funnel and put it on the end of the pencil for drawing shading. Don't know if you've tried that.

I'll work on that other thing you asked. I'd have to see screenshots for ideas for the project. I'd scour the net for royalty free images and turn them into something appropriate for Trespasser. But if you use them make sure to include the credits that I document.

Edit: Update. Here is a early draft of the landscape.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks interesting so far. Is the playable area going to be focused soley on the riverbed? It seems if so that there might be a lot of empty space on the terrain, which is fine, but I do feel like it might allow for more gameplay options if you were to open things up a bit more as otherwise it looks like you might be limiting your play area a bit excessively here.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I am thinking about having a sort of ravine around the river. Also make the level much longer. It's easy atm to change everything up.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Made a terrain. Wondering if anyone wants to use it for a map? Right now I'm editing it in Unreal Engine 5. Let me know and I will convert it to Trespasser format.

Remember you can optimize it all you want in TresEd.

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I'd say convert it to a Trespasser format when it is done.
As I plan on picking up Trespasser again this month, I should make a section in the download section for terrain templates, as there are a few, specially from machf!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I imported a 1024x1024 8 bit bmp to Tresed, exported it to a modeling program, converted it with guiapp and the level wont load so I need to mess with it some more :(

It wont load once I move the player start to the landscape. I Guess I need to optimize it more.

darn game design can be annoying.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I edited an old template that has some custom textures and high/low poly trees. Map is fully playable inside game. Anyone is free to use this terrain. Download said only good for 30 days so maybe we can add it to the site sometime?

https://ufile.io/lxa4oxfk

New Terrain. Its a random, fairly flat but somewhat bumpy terrain for making new maps from scratch with a more detailed look than starting from a truly flat terrain. Very large map.. Fully playable/previewable in game.
https://ufile.io/2wz9yt46
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Making some terrains for modders. Base Levels Added.

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm, Trespasser in retail has a way of bringing terrain to full-resolution detail (where terrain textures are fully clear) only where Anne is predicted to go. Or in other words, you never see the entirety of a terrain area at full detail. Tres ended up not having huge open spaces of this like PL. So that could cause issues, especially after trees and other assets are added.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

From my understanding it does have terrain at long distances, you just need to adjust its detail to be super low. And not have detailed textures on it, it sounds like. This generic terrain is meant to be modified for gameplay areas and outer areas by quad optimization.

I recently experimented with using 9x9 quad texture meshes for landscape areas outside of player space that are scaled up in display size and it worked great. Looks awesome. You use detailed textures up close, and less tiled looking texture mesh/sheets at distances. I posted some screenshots a while ago. I'm now curious if that will kill framerate lol. Then again CE is optimized. CE max settings doesn't use L.O.D meshes.

Edit: I think I trailed off into off topic lol.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I've grabbed these. I need to reinstall my PC this weekend, but I will get these up on the site during November. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm. As a note, I personally discovered that Tres has some sort of internal optimum condition were a 256x256 texture fits perfectly into a quad that is 1 meter by 1 meter, unless I'm getting some numbers wrong, and this using a common square TrnObj mesh at scale of 1.0. Things above or below this seem to suffer quality loss.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

Teromen wrote:I'm making some random landscapes for moders to create maps with if they wish.

Also, if anyone wants to draw their own map I might be able to make a terrain from it too. Let me know.
I would quite like a helping hand in these aspects, if you are interested help me?
I did not manage to transfer my idea to the final form :cartman: maybe I haven't had enough time to do that yet, but the sketches is already..

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Is it supposed to be an island or have hills around the edge?

Edit: <-- reads the words island in the photo... :) hehe my bad