New level: Mount Tres

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

New level: Mount Tres

Post by morningstarring »

Finished a new level. Nothing too fancy, just felt like making a new level.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ujnn93i8 ... s.zip/file
Attachments
mount tres.jpg
mount tres.jpg (419.16 KiB) Viewed 5203 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: New level: Mount Tres

Post by machf »

Let's take a good look at it later...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Ugh, I had been playing it pretty well, and then, a few minutes ago... it crashed!
I had just pushed (or pulled) the lever, went outside to look down, and then it happened...
Fortunately I've been saving quite often, so hopefully I won't have to walk too much after reloading...

EDIT: a bit over an hour afterwards... I made it!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Finished this earlier this morning. Had a pretty good time with it. In particular I found the first T. Rex encounter quite exciting as I had to use those boulders to avoid the Rex, and ultimately managed to lure it into the fenced area with the generators in order to make my escape. I also had a few situations where I managed to miss a gun or two and ended up with around five or six Tribe C Raptors chasing me, leading to a tense moment where I was desperately trying to throw the lever in the crane while they swarmed around me...I really enjoy moments like this that are more about having to outwit the dinosaurs than just being able to shoot them all. Also your use of objects to create new buildings continues to be quite impressive!
I did find a couple of the backtracking segments to be excessively long, however, in particular when I trekked all the way up the hill to the gate by the T. Rex and ended up having to go all the way back down to get the keycard I needed, then aaaallll the way back up without anything to really do or see. Overall I have to perhaps suggest making your levels a little bit more compact so that situations like this don't arise - I like your level design overall outside of these segments, it's just that I find that there tends to be a lot of walking without much to do in-between the interesting parts. Maybe some music or voiceovers could make those in-between areas a bit more interesting as well.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: I did find a couple of the backtracking segments to be excessively long, however, in particular when I trekked all the way up the hill to the gate by the T. Rex and ended up having to go all the way back down to get the keycard I needed, then aaaallll the way back up without anything to really do or see. Overall I have to perhaps suggest making your levels a little bit more compact so that situations like this don't arise - I like your level design overall outside of these segments, it's just that I find that there tends to be a lot of walking without much to do in-between the interesting parts. Maybe some music or voiceovers could make those in-between areas a bit more interesting as well.
I think an additional barrier would maybe solve the problem - instead of having to go back all the way from point B to point A to get the keycard that will open the gate at point B, add a third point C more or less equidistant from both (sort of a midway point) and have the keycard from point A activate the gate at point C instead; then have a SECOND keycard somewhere near point C which will be the one needed to open the gate at point B.
Also, I think your sound triggers when a gate is opened are playing the sound at the location where the player is when it's activated; use the string Emitter = "..." parameter to define the origin of the sound to be the gate itself or some object next to it instead (when you leave it out, by default it's played at the location of the trigger).
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

yea. I realized a little too late that there were a couple long backtracking sections.
machf wrote:Also, I think your sound triggers when a gate is opened are playing the sound at the location where the player is when it's activated; use the string Emitter = "..." parameter to define the origin of the sound to be the gate itself or some object next to it instead (when you leave it out, by default it's played at the location of the trigger).
I think for some of the triggers i wanted the gate open sound to play near the player. some gates were too far away to hear(a hint that the puzzles are spaced too far away) so i wanted to make it clear that the trigger was activated.
TheIdiot wrote:I managed to miss a gun or two and ended up with around five or six Tribe C Raptors chasing me, leading to a tense moment where I was desperately trying to throw the lever in the crane while they swarmed around me...
I should have placed a baseball bat in there for you lol

I almost wanted to scrap the level since there were some dull bits but decided to finish it anyway.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

At one point I ended up with a shotgun with 2 bullets, and like 4 or 5 raptors coming after me. "Screw it, I'm out of here!" Managed to outrun the pack, thankfully.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:"Screw it, I'm out of here!" Managed to outrun the pack, thankfully.
Despite having similar thoughts, I was not so lucky...my anti-bunny hopping rule made this level particularily interesting. :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Given the speed at which Anne walks and runs, I'd say not resorting to bunnyhopping isn't a great idea...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Given the speed at which Anne walks and runs, I'd say not resorting to bunnyhopping isn't a great idea...
It isn't. But it certainly makes things more interesting, even though Raptors still can't outrun her (T. Rexes and albertosaurs can). I only consider bunny-hopping to be banned when there is a known active CAnimal in the area, though...if it's a dino-less walking segment, then it's okay.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I played it for a sec. But I died at the tower. Raptor spawned behind me or something. I'll get back to it later. It sounds like a long play through.

It's the first time I've tested out my 4k monitor. Tres does not like 4k lol. I ran it through guiapp and that sped it up a bit but tres just doesn't like 4k. So i'll give it a play through later at 1080p. Man I was set on playing some 4k lol. I even tried 2k and trespasser has a texture glitch at higher resolutions.

Edit: I'm about halfway up the mountain, I think. It's fun. I noticed the "hard to aim" little pistol in the truck by the gate doesnt work. You pick it up and it isn't shootable. I have that problem with my own levels. As I edit the guns become unusable. I like the level. It's fun.

I was thinking, if you need help with custom assets in the future let me know. I figure you'll get tired of re-using ones. I' not a great modeler but if someone makes a sketch I can model it. I can make caves and cliffs and stuff. Small buildings. Not good enough to model vehicles or anything though. Just beginer stuff.

Also, did you use GuiApp to convert to shipable scn? I ran it through guiapp and the level ran faster but I got a lot of errors so idk if it broke parts of the audio or script. It seems to allow a lot more vegetation in a level that way. More meshes. Less crash prone, etc. But so far the level runs fine. I had one crash on a reload but that's about it.
Last edited by Teromen on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I got it downloaded, just have to move it to my desk computer now to actually play it. Sound interesting -
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

It's pretty fun. I like mornings levels. Especially the one with the rex's in the pit heh.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

machf wrote:At one point I ended up with a shotgun with 2 bullets, and like 4 or 5 raptors coming after me. "Screw it, I'm out of here!" Managed to outrun the pack, thankfully.
I do like hiding my raptors in low level thick vegetation. reminds me of JP2's grass plains raptor attacks. I died a few times testing the level. I always forget where I place them lol.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, that was the place...