How to put new textures in a terrain with TresEd?

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: How to put new textures in a terrain with TresEd?

Post by TheIdiot »

Tormer wrote:Thanks!
By the way, i added a raptor with TresEd but seems that this dino isn't active if i'm far. When i test the map, i need to be closer to the raptor to make it react and chase me. I wonder if i'm doing something wrong... and what can i do to make the raptor more active from far distance?
That's perfectly normal. The CAnimals (aka dinosaurs) have "WakeUp" and "Sleep" values in their T-Scripts, which you can view by double-clicking on any object. The higher your WakeUp value, the further you can be from the dinosaur before it "wakes up", or becomes active, when the player approaches it - the Sleep value is the distance at which the dinosaur will stop being active. So if we have a dinosaur with this in the T-Script:

Code: Select all

float WakeUp = 50.0
float Sleep = 60.0
The dinosaur's AI will activate from 50 meters away from the player, and de-activate when the dinosaur is 60 meters away.

See machf's T-script reference (General Script Classes -> CAnimal) for more detail: https://www.trescom.org/files/docs/tscript.html
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I wouldn't recommend setting the WakeUp and Sleep values to the same distance... Sleep should always be a larger value. The lowest the WakeUp value, the closest you have to be to the dinosaur for it to wake up, and the higher the Sleep value, the farthest you must get from it in order for it to get asleep again and lose interest in you...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

That's great to know!
And now it Works. The Raptors are looking around when they are far. But the problem that i have is that, when i get killed, i can't restart the level i created. Even, when i go back to main menu and i choose the level again, i can't play because i'm fallen and the raptors are eating Anne body.
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, that's a problem generated by TresEd, since it was made before the file formats were fully understood ("close but no cigar"). To fix that, you need to load the level inside GUIapp, re-generate terrain partitions, and resave the level's .SCN file.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Worked, Thanks Machf!
I wonder how can i make that the raptors walk around when they're far. I put the wake and sleep script but i would like to make them walk and growl too besides of standing and looking around...
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Try adding ActWander. Also there is a "float Curiosity = #.###" value you might try playing with.
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Tried it! thanks.
Now, i am messing with map objects and noticed that there are subobjects inside them which add "hitbox" / "solid" effect for such objects. Is it possible to create these subobjects with TresEd or i have to create them in another program like Blender?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Tormer wrote:Tried it! thanks.
Now, i am messing with map objects and noticed that there are subobjects inside them which add "hitbox" / "solid" effect for such objects. Is it possible to create these subobjects with TresEd or i have to create them in another program like Blender?
You can use a 3D modelling program to create your own, or just copy those subobjects and use them for other meshes (i.e. the cheap and easy way). In the case that you make your own, the pivot point for the mesh MUST be centred, and the object must be rectangular. Depending on the CInstance, the subobjects will be attached via the T-script to the mesh - in which case they will have a "$" at the beginning of their name - or simply static and placed appropriately around the object (usually used for larger objects since there is a limit of how many subobjects you can attach to a CInstance) - these objects' names typically begin with "F". If the subobjects are attached via T-script, any copies of the base Instance that you create will automatically be given subobjects, otherwise you must copy the physics meshes manually each time you copy the object.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

If i make a new subobject, should they have a texture too?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Tormer wrote:If i make a new subobject, should they have a texture too?
That isn't necessary, Tormer. I do it simply to help navigate through buildings and other things like that while using TresEd, but it has no bearing on the game itself.
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Ok!
Somebody could explain how to use the trap triggers? I am testing a trigger to activate traps. Just ported to my map the mayan head that falls in stairs but for some reason the trap is not activated. I wopuld need more info about how the triggers work...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's using either a collision trigger (when Anne's foot hits a certain object on the floor, maybe) or a location trigger (when Anne enters a defined volume), then either some magnet holding an object is broken or the object which was frozen in palce becomes unforzen or a push is applied to that object...
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

good. I don't remember if i have asked this before, but i would like to know how to make water and place it in terrain. Also, how do you add a new texture to such water?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Tormer wrote:good. I don't remember if i have asked this before, but i would like to know how to make water and place it in terrain. Also, how do you add a new texture to such water?
It depends on the water you are talking about. If you mean ponds, they are flat trigger objects. See something like the pond at the Brachi in BE, or the several ones in IJ.
As for ocean, they are also just flat objects with a texture on it, and then a script to make it move. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Excellent, i figured out. Thanks!
Regarding to the sky, how can i edit the skyline colour? as you see in the picture below, the blue sky doesn't fit with that light orange skyline...