Read all the other stories from the world

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

Wedge_Antilles
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser Fan Novelization

Post by Wedge_Antilles »

Hey everyone,

So I have been working on a Trespasser Fan "Novelization" that essentially adapts the story of the game by mixing the retail version of the game as well as the intended story from the 1997 Walkthrough while throwing in a little bit of my own experiences when replaying the game and my own little twists and turns. The fan novel will follow Anne throughout her story as well as piece together a "complete" version of Hammond's Memoirs. I have had a lot of help from my friend "ProfInGen" with revising it and editing it. He is helping me tell the story I wanna tell.

A little background on the Fan Novel:

Essentially, I decided to really stick to the idea of Trespasser being in its own canon and tried to re-invent the JP Timeline around what Trespasser set up. I have been taking elements from the films, the Crichton Novels, and my own interpretations. As for Anne, she was pretty much a blank canvas of a character and I decided to portray her as a young archeology student who is still trying to figure out her life. As soon as she does, she crash lands on Isla Sorna while on a chartered plane for a work related trip.

Chapter 1 discusses the follow-up to the actual story while Chapter 2 is the actual "start" of Anne's story. Spliced between the chapters are Hammond's Memoirs.

Well, here is a preview of it. I am looking for ideas, suggestions, critiques, etc. Just to see if I am progressing well and if people are interested in what's being done. I will eventually post the entire thing online but for now, I just have a preview of Chapter 1 and 2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYav70 ... sp=sharing
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Fan Novelization

Post by tatu »

Welcome to the forum!

I'll check this out as soon as I can! ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

i just glanced through it for now but i like it so far. it feels just like playing Trespasser. maybe it's even more vivid in this form :) i would love to read through the parts where Anne is making her way through the scrapped levels: Plantation House, Pine Valley and Plains. i'd say you're on the right track so keep it up!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oye, head is not in the right place to read this right now. But soon it ought to be.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Not bad! Trespasser is no easy task to convert into a story considering the lack of character interaction. I particularily enjoyed the scenes leading up to the crash-landing on the island, although I believe the actual reason for Anne crashing on Isla Sorna is that she was simply on vacation, though there's nothing wrong with changing her reason as it at least gives her some more depth. I also think Anne is a bit beyond college by the time she crashes on the island, as she has that one quote that she "was a freshman when she heard the first rumors" - which implies to me that she was this age when the events of Jurassic Park happened. Either way, those are just nitpicks, I appreciate someone taking the time to adapt Trespasser in any format. :)
I do however feel that some sort of addition or change needs to be made to the original Trespasser plot in order to keep things exciting; that's part of the reason I including a surviving version of Marquez (and intended to later bring in Harold Greenwood) in our roleplaying game, since otherwise being completely alone all the time could get a little bit repetitive. Can't say I've ever read any Crichton story where the character is completely alone the entire way...I fear it might become too much of a challenge to keep it interesting.
Wedge_Antilles
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Wedge_Antilles »

TheIdiot wrote:Not bad! Trespasser is no easy task to convert into a story considering the lack of character interaction. I particularily enjoyed the scenes leading up to the crash-landing on the island, although I believe the actual reason for Anne crashing on Isla Sorna is that she was simply on vacation, though there's nothing wrong with changing her reason as it at least gives her some more depth. I also think Anne is a bit beyond college by the time she crashes on the island, as she has that one quote that she "was a freshman when she heard the first rumors" - which implies to me that she was this age when the events of Jurassic Park happened. Either way, those are just nitpicks, I appreciate someone taking the time to adapt Trespasser in any format. :)
I do however feel that some sort of addition or change needs to be made to the original Trespasser plot in order to keep things exciting; that's part of the reason I including a surviving version of Marquez (and intended to later bring in Harold Greenwood) in our roleplaying game, since otherwise being completely alone all the time could get a little bit repetitive. Can't say I've ever read any Crichton story where the character is completely alone the entire way...I fear it might become too much of a challenge to keep it interesting.
Thanks! Yeah I wanted to change it up so that it gave her a reason to want to explore the ruins rather than just pass by them to get on her way. Plus I love the Indiana Anne nickname and thought "Hey, what if that was literal? What if she was a kind of archeologist." As for the college thing, I will take that into consideration. I always interpreted "rumors" to have been throughout the 80s and 90s (just before TLW of course).

Hmmm, interesting. To keep it "fresh" I included the cuts to Hammond's memoirs and I actually do have an idea for Marquez, however I do not know how to tackle it just yet. Harold will have a "role" in some capacity as I am developing right now. I do agree, reading about an isolated character vs playing as one in a video game is incredibly difficult to balance ahaha. My intention was to adapt Trespasser as closely as possible but I may have to take a few more liberties than I intended ahaha. We'll see, but I can say Harold will have a bigger role and I may do something with Marquez... Who knows what I decide to do

(I do plan on doing a fully Canon re-write in the future. Basically tell a version of trespasser that fits into the film timeline so I may fit whatever ideas I come up with for here and implement them there)

Also thanks to everyone commenting and reading!!! It means a lot!
LIX666
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by LIX666 »

i love this type of fan-fic that relies heavily on the actual story. i promise to give it a thorough look when i get the chance.
LIX666
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by LIX666 »

I love it. Not only is the very essence of the game incorporated, but you also gave a very Chricton-esque touch to the intro, laying the foundations for character development that reaches the gameplay. I love the little hints about the movie leftovers and also the immersion of actual Jurassic Time memoirs in the story, as if it were canon. Only complaint is that the damn thing is not finished... Also, if we're following the game, you should already have had a raptor fight before the seesaw and maybe somehow include the "shooting range" where she gets the feel of different weapons and explains somehow how the weapons "feel like 10 rounds" into "checks the magazine - 10 rounds left" but that is nitpicking now. I would try to add a bug or a glitch as a jumpscare, when Anne jumped over the wall by stacking boxes, 3 steps away and the door fell behind her, scaring her and making her think "... i am an idiot... should have tried to push the gate instead of jumping..." or "..huh... that works too, i guess" something like that, a little hint that we would recognize immediately :D

looking forward to the rest.
Wedge_Antilles
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Wedge_Antilles »

LIX666 wrote:I love it. Not only is the very essence of the game incorporated, but you also gave a very Chricton-esque touch to the intro, laying the foundations for character development that reaches the gameplay. I love the little hints about the movie leftovers and also the immersion of actual Jurassic Time memoirs in the story, as if it were canon. Only complaint is that the damn thing is not finished... Also, if we're following the game, you should already have had a raptor fight before the seesaw and maybe somehow include the "shooting range" where she gets the feel of different weapons and explains somehow how the weapons "feel like 10 rounds" into "checks the magazine - 10 rounds left" but that is nitpicking now. I would try to add a bug or a glitch as a jumpscare, when Anne jumped over the wall by stacking boxes, 3 steps away and the door fell behind her, scaring her and making her think "... i am an idiot... should have tried to push the gate instead of jumping..." or "..huh... that works too, i guess" something like that, a little hint that we would recognize immediately :D

looking forward to the rest.
Thanks for the kind words!! I really appreciate it!

Don't worry, more will come soon. Just need to be a little patient :yum: :P

I had originally wanted to include those but I didn't want to bog down the story too much with constant call backs to the game and wanted to add a bit of realism. I followed the "Star Wars" rule of what is canon in a video game where gameplay itself isn't canon but specific scripted events, voice lines, and the general story are. It is why I will be using less Dino encounters but make them more impactful and memorable. I am also following the 97 Walk through which presents the game differently in comparison to the retail version. With all that said, I will take your comment into account and try to include a few more smaller encounters, closer to the game ;) I will definitely include a couple glitch/bug easter eggs ahahah