Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Cloning Facility

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote: I believe so, though these days most people just put general images in their signatures rather than use actual purpose-made banners.
Huh unfortunate. Internet custom was so new and all-encompassing back in the day, I felt it was as permanent as lolcats.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: I believe so, though these days most people just put general images in their signatures rather than use actual purpose-made banners.
Huh unfortunate. Internet custom was so new and all-encompassing back in the day, I felt it was as permanent as lolcats.
It is just developing and keep moving like everything else. I still think a lot of signatures are made to have useful info, links etc for people, at least those doing modding (both as in mods and as in moderation). :)

And TI, I really like this. Maybe we manage to turn Trespasser: Isla Sorna into this at some point, but without being heavily HD and extend the object limit, just redo foliage to be better and not simple copy-paste! :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote: And TI, I really like this. Maybe we manage to turn Trespasser: Isla Sorna into this at some point, but without being heavily HD and extend the object limit, just redo foliage to be better and not simple copy-paste! :)
Not sure how far we would want to go with that, though...it's already taken me probably around 40 hours just to fill up about a fifth of the entire island, and this level is half the size of a retail terrain. I feel like it might take an impossible amount of time to re-do the entirety of Sorna's foliage by hand like that.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
tatu wrote: And TI, I really like this. Maybe we manage to turn Trespasser: Isla Sorna into this at some point, but without being heavily HD and extend the object limit, just redo foliage to be better and not simple copy-paste! :)
Not sure how far we would want to go with that, though...it's already taken me probably around 40 hours just to fill up about a fifth of the entire island, and this level is half the size of a retail terrain. I feel like it might take an impossible amount of time to re-do the entirety of Sorna's foliage by hand like that.
Oh, it would be future goal. And maybe, it depends on what foliage you use. Overall in many locations, similar foliage grow around each other, so it would be less 22 different foliage in every location. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, you have my support in the estimating. Clear views of possibility help mods get finished! :statue:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Taking another break after working on this for a few days in a row straight. Got a fair bit of work done on some new areas...
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
I also experimented with adding normalmaps to the rocks as well. They're using the same texture as one of the TrnObjs, and it seems that they will still recieve normals even though the ground textures cannot. Makes the rocks look a lot bumpier!
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Definitely liking those normalmaps on the rocks. Loving that tunnel too. I can only imagine what lies inside...
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I like everything I've seen so far :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I must admit, even in my 'Tres-purist'-ness I am liking these normalmap rocks. I am supposing that some satisfaction is to be had out there for modding higher graphical things with an engine that's workable without draining the life out of oneself with modern engines. Hmm. Draco waves happily from his retro graphic ship as it passes by.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Very cool screenshots, T.I. It looks like the next generation of Trespasser.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks everyone!
I must admit, even in my 'Tres-purist'-ness I am liking these normalmap rocks.
I see nothing non-vanilla with using normalmaps considering the original game had them as well. It'd be nice if one day someone could create a complete set of normals for every object in the game in order to replace the original black-and-white bumpmaps which can't be imported from GeomAdd.
It looks like the next generation of Trespasser.
That's what I hope to get out of this level. Even if it's a smaller level, I'd like to create a level of detail unseen before in the game while keeping it fully playable.

It's funny, I was playing Left 4 Dead today and I realized how even in 2008 - 10 years after Trespasser - many games still had relatively low levels of detail in forested areas. There are a few trees here and there, some patches of 3D grass, and a lot of solid cliffs. No undergrowth, layers of vegetation, varied groundcover, or anything you really see in real forests. It's actually kind of impressive how good Tres looks with the right touches!

EDIT: Just finished a new model for the level and I may have gone a bit overboard with the detail - it's only a small structure, yet GeomAdd is informing me that it's got upwards of 4800 triangles! Guess I have to break this one up a bit...in all my RTJP time, there were only a couple of models that broke even 3000 tris. A building of this size would never have gone over 3K tris, but I'm really enjoying the way this particular mesh looks with all of the extra minor 3D details.
The level is starting to shape up in the ideas department, though I'm still keeping much of the level area devoid of pre-planning in order to avoid being bogged down by my own ideas. What I can say is that I've decided to include a few non-obvious winks and nods toward some of the "classic" TresCom fan-made levels which served as inspiration for my own love of the game. :wink:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Been getting back into work on the level a bit recently. I'm feeling really happy with the direction the level is taking so far, though I've got a bit of a navigational problem on the map that I'd like to sort out in order to avoid excessive backtracking. But anyway, another quick sneak peek:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
And I want to give a big thanks to Rebel for making something new and really awesome for the level just recently. You'll have to find it yourself, though. :wink:
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

I wish I had the patience to make my levels this detailed. looks really cool
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

morningstarring wrote:I wish I had the patience to make my levels this detailed. looks really cool
Thanks! The patience comes and goes, I guess...haven't touched it in a couple of weeks and will probably work on it all weekend before I get sick of carefully placing grass models so that they don't intersect once again. :sick:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh I like it, I like it. TI it occurs to me we are both having difficulty modding at this time. Here's to better times. Heh you don't drink do you?