Hand RailCar Example

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Hand RailCar Example

Post by Rebel »

Hey. In the zip is a simplified version of the hand car I made before my computer died. Technically the only thing missing
from the model is an attachment to the model, it was a lever labeled 'manual or auto'. The railcar is defaulted to auto, for
one thing, manual really doesn't work as you can't physically move the handle up and down as it's all done by trickery. At
any rate, the level inside the zip gives a quick example of what I was working on earlier. Anyways hop up onto the model,
and reach out for the handle. If all goes well, the railcar should head down the tracks.

*The level is labeled 'junk'. I also included the audio file that goes with the level if anyone is so inclined to add the railcar
chatter (better than listening to a beep over and over).
Attachments
HandCar_Example.zip
railcar example level
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Hand RailCar Example

Post by morningstarring »

Cool! I'm glad you posted this. I'm still working on getting the SS Emily sailing properly. I took a peak at the level in tressed and I'm still trying to decipher everything but hopefully I can find something that will help in my future levels
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

There was a little puzzle that went along with this, maybe over the weekend I'll try to put that back together too.
Basically, the way it worked was you set the handcar to auto, which engaged an electric motor that did the pump
of the handles in lieu of manual (afterwards, touching the handle engages the motor and hence 'auto pumping'.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Oh nice, I've added this to the download section already.

I haven't looked at this yet, but it is another thing that show how much is actually possible with the game. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hey, tatu. This was meant for a beta version of the prequel, but seeing that I don't have a useful computer at the present
time, and seeing that this very thing was raised in another post, I'd figured I would share it now. Obviously, trespasser
does have its limits, but that doesn't meant that you can't push the envelope and modders continue to show that in their
work, both past and present.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Finally had a look at this with the sound imported. I quite like it! I do these days have the sense that Tres is full of scripted possibilities we simply didn't spend enough time on in the past to develop. I am glad the railroad images from Trespasser's pre-release history have finally surfaced onto its terrain in the modern day.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I'll be releasing an updated version of this, perhaps by the end of the weekend, Drac. It'll have the detail that was missing on
the model (including the simple puzzle built into the model). I'll list out the how-to user info for optimal use. You're now able
to start, stop the handcar, then restart it as well as go backwards, stop and restart movement. The original sound effect is now
merged with an electric motor so now it'll all make sense as to its operation -
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just want to say, Rebel, this is a pretty interesting piece of scripting here. I find it very difficult to get moving objects to work with scripting, so this impresses me a lot...might have to look at it a bit more in-depth myself.
I hope to see it in the level still!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

TheIdiot wrote:Just want to say, Rebel, this is a pretty interesting piece of scripting here. I find it very difficult to get moving objects to work with scripting, so this impresses me a lot...might have to look at it a bit more in-depth myself.
I hope to see it in the level still!
Well, if I ever buy a new computer again, it'll go into a beta of the prequel. In the meantime, hopefully someone will either find use
for the model and/or its scripting. In a day or two, I'll zip up the final version and make it available.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds pretty impressive. Are there real electrically-motorized hand rail cars?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY OPERATE RAILCAR

CENTER ANNE (SQUARE UP) MOVE BACK (X KEY DEFAULT)
PRESS 'Q' (JUMP KEY DEFAULT) TO VERIFY ANNE'S FREE
REACH OUT FOR HANDLE (SNEAK FORWARD IF NECESSARY)
ONCE RAILCAR STARTS, PRESS AND HOLD DOWN 'X' KEY

TO STOP RAILCAR, INCH FORWARD USING 'S or W' KEY
REACH OUT FOR HANDLE (TOUCHING JUST ONCE)

TO RESTART MOVEMENT, REPEAT INITIAL STEPS GIVEN

download link (final version): https://www.mediafire.com/file/hb3x5926 ... r.zip/file

The Quirks:

Trespasser physics is touchy, which is why I posted the above. For instance, if Anne is
partially stuck inside the physics box of the car, it'll either kill ya or the car some-
times will pull a chitty chitty bang bang and start rising off the tracks. I even tweak-
ed Anne's foot size to balance out the physics between her and the car while settling on
a speed of 2.5 which seems to be the highest speed that doesn't cause any problems and/
or damage to Anne. As far as why you should use the 'x' (backwards) key while riding on
the car, it guarantees a smooth ride and prevents Anne from getting stuck.

All in all, I can now operate it without any trouble. But then again, I've been playin'
around with this for some time now. As far as the little puzzle that goes with this, it
is simple to solve so I'll leave that to whoever gives it a go -

*All the triggers and animation strips are in plain site for easy review in TresED*

**Drac: I don't know if there's an electric handcar, but I would be surprised if there
wasn't one. It seems everything that can be invented has or will be invented -
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm! Plan to give this one a go later, but I went and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcar
Modern usage

Handcar designed to be operated by a single person, widely known in North America as a Velocipede.
Handcars have been normally used by railway service personnel (the latter also known as Gandy dancers) for railroad inspection and maintenance. Because of their low weight and small size, they can be put on and taken off the rails at any place, allowing trains to pass. Handcars have since been replaced by self-propelled vehicles that do not require the use of manual power, instead relying on internal combustion engines or electricity to move the vehicle.

Handcars are nowadays used by handcar enthusiasts at vintage railroad events and for races between handcars driven by five person teams (one to push the car from a halt, four to pump the lever). One such race, the Handcar Regatta, was held in Santa Rosa, California from 2008 to 2011 and other races are held in Australia. See the section on racing below. Aside from handcars built for racing, new handcars are being built with modern roller bearings and milled axles and crankshafts.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Handcar designed to be operated by a single person, widely known in North America as a Velocipede.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

Rebel wrote:HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY OPERATE RAILCAR

CENTER ANNE (SQUARE UP) MOVE BACK (X KEY DEFAULT)
PRESS 'Q' (JUMP KEY DEFAULT) TO VERIFY ANNE'S FREE
REACH OUT FOR HANDLE (SNEAK FORWARD IF NECESSARY)
ONCE RAILCAR STARTS, PRESS AND HOLD DOWN 'X' KEY

TO STOP RAILCAR, INCH FORWARD USING 'S or W' KEY
REACH OUT FOR HANDLE (TOUCHING JUST ONCE)

TO RESTART MOVEMENT, REPEAT INITIAL STEPS GIVEN

download link (final version): https://www.mediafire.com/file/hb3x5926 ... r.zip/file

The Quirks:

Trespasser physics is touchy, which is why I posted the above. For instance, if Anne is
partially stuck inside the physics box of the car, it'll either kill ya or the car some-
times will pull a chitty chitty bang bang and start rising off the tracks. I even tweak-
ed Anne's foot size to balance out the physics between her and the car while settling on
a speed of 2.5 which seems to be the highest speed that doesn't cause any problems and/
or damage to Anne. As far as why you should use the 'x' (backwards) key while riding on
the car, it guarantees a smooth ride and prevents Anne from getting stuck.

All in all, I can now operate it without any trouble. But then again, I've been playin'
around with this for some time now. As far as the little puzzle that goes with this, it
is simple to solve so I'll leave that to whoever gives it a go -

*All the triggers and animation strips are in plain site for easy review in TresED*

**Drac: I don't know if there's an electric handcar, but I would be surprised if there
wasn't one. It seems everything that can be invented has or will be invented -
i dont know if it's foolproof but adding "float Damage = -1.000000" to the tscript of the objects that could potentially kill anne seems to stop random deaths. I'm having the same issue with the "chitty chitty bang bang" floating off course with getting the SS Emily sailing. I think it's unavoidable at this point but slower speeds seem to keep her sailing straight.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Ya, speed is the main issue. If you keep your speed at 1.5 or lower the chitty chitty bang bang effect is generally not an issue,
but what I found through experimentation is applying an opposite force (ie. keeping the x key down) seems to balance out the
forces at play. It's a little more fun if you can up the speed a bit.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heh, I am again reminded of my moving humvee level. Triggers can be made to "correct" the motion at various points along the way. Oh and, I use -10.0 for the Damage floating decimal, as occasionally -1.0 does not seem to be enough.