Winter's Journey ~ A Christmas-themed Trespasser level

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Winter's Journey ~ A Christmas-themed Trespasser level

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Hey everyone, this is a little level that I made over the past few days in time for Christmas Day. I won't give away the premise of the level in this post, so you can find out once you play it :P Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hnk4258j ... e.zip/file
Attachments
li_wj_0.bmp
li_wj_0.bmp (900.05 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Winter's Journey ~ A Christmas-themed Trespasser level

Post by tatu »

Oh awesome, I'll make sure this is in the news post that is posted in a few hours! :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Thanks, I'll give it a good look in a couple of hours...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheDeeGee
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by TheDeeGee »

So how does this work?

I made a "mods" folder in the game directory where the executable is, dragged the "Winter" mod in there. Copied the "tp_mod.ini" to where the executable is, and changed ";ActiveFM=IslaNublar" to "ActiveFM=Winter".

When i start a new game i get the main campaign still.

EDIT:

Okey, i had to change FMPath=mods :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

Glad you figured it out. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Finished playing it, nice little level. It's worth doing further exploring... I liked the props a lot, I wonder where one of them came from...
I made some savegames... fortunately, since I died trying to perform some acrobatics. And then the first time I tried the fountain pen it somehow didn't work as expected, next time it did...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

machf wrote:Finished playing it, nice little level. It's worth doing further exploring... I liked the props a lot, I wonder where one of them came from...
I made some savegames... fortunately, since I died trying to perform some acrobatics. And then the first time I tried the fountain pen it somehow didn't work as expected, next time it did...
Thanks for playing the level machf. Yeah, that prop really helped make the level more interesting :mrgreen: huh, that's odd with the 'fountain pen' as I made sure to give it a lot of damage in its tscript.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Finished this last night but went to bed right afterward. Anyway - great level! Feels like you did a lot more work than is actually in the level (if that makes sense - it's a compiment :wink: ). Really like the variation in environment and landscape, as well as all the use of usually unseen props. The ambient sounds were also very nice, it actually felt "cold" and winter-y. The couple of scripted touches were very nice as well, and I also really enjoyed the bits of backstory here and there, particularily the little introduction scene. The level was well-paced with just enough weapons to get through, to the point that the lack of puzzles wasn't a detriment. I was reminded strongly of the old "Easter Level"...this felt like a spiritual successor in a way.
Anyway, to put it simply, I loved it! Felt very Christmas-y - short and sweet.

My only gripe is that I couldn't use those T-34-85s against the dinosaurs. :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: My only gripe is that I couldn't use those T-34-85s against the dinosaurs. :P
Yeah, I wanted to do that, too...

I've been thinking of a way to man mounted guns... will test them at some point.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote: I've been thinking of a way to man mounted guns... will test them at some point.
As in, a turreted gun, tank-style? Or even just using a mounted machine gun that isn't impossible to aim would be valuable...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, so I am still playing through this level, but I posted it with the mainpage news post to the Facebook group last night, and people were quite interested in the rail image. A conversation started -
Jani Vahto
Can someone please make a handcar for Anne to pump and go along the tracks?
132604461_10157758362580592_3297804114197185532_n.jpg
132604461_10157758362580592_3297804114197185532_n.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Michal Brandejs
interesting idea, but maybe impossible in Trespasser :( What you think? Draco Furvius

Draco Furvius

Michal Brandejs I am pretty sure that can't quite be done. It might be possible to -simulate- it using animation. But for example, Trespasser can't have multiple moving magnets at the same time, such as a ragdoll with legs and arms etc. I believe the same restriction means that you... ah yes, now I remember. In JPDS~testing, I attempted to have a mounted 50 cal rifle on a frozen crate that was scripted to fall over a cliff at a certain time. Because of the script for it to fall over, the mounted gun itself became frozen, unable to move. So yeah... You might animate a human model to look like it is pumping, but it can't be a game mechanic.

Jani Vahto
Draco Furvius Damn. So if I understand correctly there is no possibility of any kind of a vehicle (on tracks or anywhere else) that you could hop in and operate?

Draco Furvius

I mean, you might hop on and it starts moving. There Might be a way to press a button and make it stop. Ah hmm... Well if I'm honest, a non-physics-puzzle version might be possible, which is collision triggers sensing where the player touches and running different animations. A texture animation might show the lever going up and down, while an ASA or physics animation moves the rail car forward. I can post it to the forum and see what they think.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Coincidentally, I was working on this very thing before my computer died a few days ago. It would've been the 3rd rideable
vehicle in the prequel (I was very close to getting it to work as I had wanted).
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

I think something similar to a handcar is very much doable in Tres, as we've seen it done in Rebel's prequel level and in various test levels throughout the years. The handcar would have to of course be moved on a track that is going in a completely straight line. Maybe something like a funicular could be done in a custom level.

Rebel wrote:Coincidentally, I was working on this very thing before my computer died a few days ago. It would've been the 3rd rideable
vehicle in the prequel (I was very close to getting it to work as I had wanted).
That sucks to hear Rebel. I assume it would've been like a little trolley that brings you from that walled compound to the turntable shed on that straight line of track? Hopefully you can restart some of the work that was lost.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

That sucks to hear Rebel. I assume it would've been like a little trolley that brings you from that walled compound to the turntable shed on that straight line of track? Hopefully you can restart some of the work that was lost.
I feel like I'm highjackin' your thread here, T.G., but yeah, you pretty much have the positions right. You would have started at the end of the track (up against the stop) and it was a hand trolley (or whatever the hell you want to call it). It's not as complicated as one might think though. The trolley had 3 positions for the hand crank; 2 were with the main model, the 3rd or lowest position was handled was a CEntityAttached. The latter was controlled by a standard animation script, the main model (the middle position) was handled by using the subanimation routine. To keep Anne onboard I had a $object that was raised above the plane so Anne's Foot would brace up against it as the trolley moved (check the dozer for stablizer magnet and motion trigger info, basically the same). Naturally, there was a squeaky wheel sound effect as you traveled along -

So, yeah, it'd stop just before the turntable building and before the track started to curve. I just basically assumed some wouldn't care to walk down the length of the track to get to where they needed to be. I always had this planned out, but not until a beta was released. However, seeing that I can't afford to spring for a new computer anytime soon my modding days may be over.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh! I sort of remember hearing about this before. Well, it's cool that it was put in Tres... I can tell the Facebook fellows how to find this thread.