new laptop. poor graphics quality and also lag

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

new laptop. poor graphics quality and also lag

Post by morningstarring »

anyone know how I can go about optimizing the game for my new laptop? i've been messing with the tresspasser.ini settings but I can get the game to look and perform like it did on my old laptop :(
Attachments
Halp!.jpg
Halp!.jpg (327.13 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: new laptop. poor graphics quality and also lag

Post by tatu »

What are your laptop specs, comparing to the old one?

Does the laptop have an external graphic card? And did the old one have one? If it only has an integrated graphic card (Intel or similar), Trespasser won't run well at all.
Did you try to disable DX9 in CE and see if it helps?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

tatu wrote:What are your laptop specs, comparing to the old one?

Does the laptop have an external graphic card? And did the old one have one? If it only has an integrated graphic card (Intel or similar), Trespasser won't run well at all.
Did you try to disable DX9 in CE and see if it helps?
see attached pic. Both have integrated graphics but I never had issues on my old laptop. I tried disabling DX9 but I'm still having issues. I think I might uninstall trespasser and try reinstalling because the file directory seems kinda messed up compared to the location on my old laptop.
Attachments
Tpasscompare.jpg
Tpasscompare.jpg (447.9 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm! A common hoop Trespasser must hoop through. For my part, I have used inexpensive laptops which probably don't have graphics card things (processor instead) for some time. I am fine with the result. Notably some of my mods have crashed others' computers when not mine, possibly from the advanced graphics over-doing the Trespasser.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Looks like you need to set Max Recommended Tex Dim to 256 and Z Buffer Bitdepth to 24 (or maybe 32)...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hm weird. Your new specs are better.

You could try to see if you can update the graphics driver, it might have a better update.

And see if lowering the resolution in-game might help, as well what machf said.

You could also try installing the DX9 library, which add some legacy stuff. I know sometimes you need to reinstall them even if you had them in the past:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Have you tried running Trespasser without CE? Or perhaps try ATX? Looks like it could possibly be something to do with CE's trespasser.ini. It's a bit odd that your vegetation is appearing as impostors at such a short distance. Check the settings related to object rendering, specifically anything with "Cull" or "Draw" in the name.
Did you re-use your .ini file from the previous laptop, or start with a new one?

And as machf said, Max Recommended Tex Dim makes a huge difference texture-wise. That one's either going to be in the registry or tpass.ini.

The shadows also appear to be missing...is Detail set to the maximum in the game options? Setting Brightness to 0 will also help with the shadows for a very minimal difference in actual brightness.

Hmm...it could also potentially have something to do with the Memory settings, again in trespasser.ini. I seem to recall having issues with object loading when these were incorrectly set.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Derm. I've just recalled - normal Trespasser, if it crashes, asks on the next start-up if you wish to run the game in its own safe-mode. If you say yes, it continues to run in this mode without an option to undo it. I believe settings can be re-implemented manually but I was always too afraid of the option after seeing it one time, to form a notion on its fixing.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Derm. I've just recalled - normal Trespasser, if it crashes, asks on the next start-up if you wish to run the game in its own safe-mode. If you say yes, it continues to run in this mode without an option to undo it. I believe settings can be re-implemented manually but I was always too afraid of the option after seeing it one time, to form a notion on its fixing.
IIRC safe-mode just resets your settings to lowest. Graphics are set to software mode and I think most audio options are unticked. So safe to revert back. :)

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

I haven't tried to tweak the settings again. I think I need to delete all traces of the game on my new laptop and start with a fresh install. I think I screwed something up when trying to migrate my old tpass folder/files to my new laptop. I might try to work the issue out tonight. we'll see.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just change your video card settings to the new one and leave everything else as it was in the old one... I've copied my folders from one computer to another over the years and never needed to do anything else beyond taht.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

What I find weird is that the game is clearly working, there's just something odd going on with the graphics. It's not like the game has a bunch of different files all over the place - you shouldn't be able to play a level at all if it's missing any of its files.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

deleted everything and did a fresh install. I must have copied a file over that had settings that made the game run optimized for my old laptops hardware. Dunno exactly what the issue was but the game looks/runs well and no issues so far.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Kong-rats! By the way have you ever played the Winter mods people have made? The outdoors might soon be looking like them.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Kong-rats! By the way have you ever played the Winter mods people have made? The outdoors might soon be looking like them.
Played a few winter mods. However, I moved to Florida for a reason... I hate snow and the cold. :p but maybe I'll make a winter mod. who knows. right now I'm working on scripting new puzzles.