Your Trespasser story (Trespasser 20th anniversary)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Your Trespasser story (Trespasser 20th anniversary)

Post by tatu »

Haha, I remember when we got a PC with 256GB of RAM cause I could finally play Call Of Duty 1 without issues. :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah Trespasser on Twitch. Fun. I've never been one for that site. Time spent on such drawn-out activities is far better put to creating new levels, or at least sketching them. I uh hm enjoy the second guy. I watched a tiny bit and noticed his description that playthrough-Tres-players are quite skilled at the controls while indeed the controls for the game take some getting used to. I wonder how often Tres is streamed.
LIX666
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by LIX666 »

Huu... trespasser was actually the FIRST original game i ever owned and i got it from a childhood friend who i guess didnt have enough skill to run or play the game. I remember having pc with voodoo2 and reminiscing how great the game must look like on recommended voodoo3. So i was at my friends house at the village where my grandparents live and it was our 1st meetup after we each began using computers and he had to show me his setup. And among all the demo cd's stacked next to his pc was this red looking cool cd with blurry dinos on it and i asked what was that, since i have not seen similar demo cd in my collection. he said he got the game from his parents when they came back from a trip from somewhere and now i dont remember if couldnt run the game or if he couldnt play the game due to all the trespasserness (:-)) he didnt even know it was related to jurassic park and after shuffling through crap in the table he found the cd case, placed cd in it and he gave it to me.
i dont suppose he had all the extra box and packaging but i calmly accepted the game, asking if he would like me to send him some game in return, to which he replied nah man, its cool. and i had to pretend i wasnt excited like a girl at the beatles concert for the next week before i returned back home. so, the 14 year old me back in 1999 came back home, installed the game (must have taken half and hour with all the files being copied ...) and i was fascinated just by the initial menu with the skull in the footprint and the "thoom" sound when clicked install, and when "my name is john parker hammond..." started i was mesmerized. when anne woke up on the beach, when i saw that "open world", the ripples in the water, the physics of items colliding and when i started to trigger sounds of memories and music and comments... hoo boy. and then i found the "health bar" and had to sneak glimpses of it because my pc was in the living room... i thought the way the hand was handling was an ingenious approach as opposed to duke nukems or doom guys weapon holding position, if only a little clumsy but clumsiness i wrote to my lack of finesse for this wonder of a game. I do remember thinking how Anne was some kind of weapons expert knowing how much bullets weapons had just by the feel of it and thought that was cool too. and when i met up with 1st raptor after the brachiosaurs, pants have nearly been shat. if i experienced that kind of feeling today, i would probably say NOPE! and go have a smoke and hard liquor before attempting to return into the seat, but back then i jumped from the chair because i never saw it coming from behind and the speakers next to my monitor werent turned up loud enough so i could hear footsteps and snarls from the distant raptor. who in their right mind expected enemies to be BEHIND YOU when you are advancing forward? another thing that made me realize how much on alert do i need to be and how realistic the game is.
i dont think there has ever been a movie related game that has captivated me so much like this wildly unappreciated gem. i did have similar experience with Aliens VS Predator and i dont recall ever completing the Marine campaign in it but i havent replayed that game as much as i repeated trespasser. Also, i have an unnerving distrust towards windmills ever since i 1st played the game. storywise, it has expanded my knowledge of something i believed i knew everything there was about to know, after reading all books and watching all movies (topps comics were never available in croatia so i read those years later when torrents were more in use... who knew you could have entire comics library on ur pc..). I was there, going through locales seen in the movie and described in the book, there were references, there was voice over, incredible amount of knowledge about the beloved topic which i havent had before.

every once in a while, every new generation of pc i would remember trespasser and try it out again just to refresh my memory and the feeling i had during gameplay and when teh interwebz began to have more fun stuff other than boobies on yahoo, i stumbled somehow on trespassing petrolia and awaited eagerly for his remake and literally lived through all of his progress and problems with different programs, height limits, starting from scratch, getting vr headset, getting a baby... i am still hopeful of that project :)

meanwhile, being able to just now try out trespasser with all bells and whistles this forum has amassed throughout the years is again rejuvenating this truly vintage game and succeeding in making me feel like i am that kid jumping off the chair again.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

LIX666, that is a great review of experience. I myself had probably still a 256 color Macintosh at the time, no where near Tres-playing potential. Glad to hear from that time period.
Petrolia was a nice project and may still be. I do believe I have underestimated its significance. Not sure why he stopped posting here.
wei777
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by wei777 »

https://www.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21740190732860

I might buy a k6-2 motherboard. It just happens to be able to test the 3D-now technology. And live on YouTube. What do you think?

But it seems a bit difficult to record movies on an old computer. It must have relevant recording equipment.

i have k6-ii 500mhz.

Another point, I don’t have an old Pentium 2 computer, so the test cannot have a standard

I mean 3D now! vs Pentium 2

When k6-ii was first released, I really liked him, but except for quake2

.It seems that there is no game support

Correctly say that the support is good

And 3d-now must also be supported by a dedicated driver for the graphics card.

In other words, there are very few cards that I can test
tatu

Post by tatu »

I really find it interesting that you test the game on old hardware.

I am unsure if a capture card would work on an old PC, but I know people use it to capture video and audio from older game consoles. That could be a way to record the game from an older PC, where you use a newer one to record etc. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."