another level. learning new things. having fun.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

another level. learning new things. having fun.

Post by morningstarring »

https://streamable.com/kmi5kx

learned a new thing. it's not groundbreaking but it certainly feels more like a jurassic park game.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: another level. learning new things. having fun.

Post by tatu »

Nice!
It is somehow a bit satisfying to see someone learning Trespasser and sticking to it like you do, learning it. Usually people start too big and too big projects and then disappear cause they get overwhelmed!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

tatu wrote:Nice!
It is somehow a bit satisfying to see someone learning Trespasser and sticking to it like you do, learning it. Usually people start too big and too big projects and then disappear cause they get overwhelmed!
It's become my new before bed activity. I used to just watch youtube videos but that got dull.

there's still a lot I wish I could do but making simple things/levels for now is enjoyable. I try to do things to help retain what I have learned and try to explore new things as I go. Lots of trial and error.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sorry, I had thought the link was for a file download, and waited to have a look. Your new level looks great! Importing new Dinosaur vocals is not something many new Tres modders do. In fact you might be the first. Most people have been too intimidated by the process and sensitive file format. I look forward to learning what is on the other side of the bouldered pathway.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Sorry, I had thought the link was for a file download, and waited to have a look. Your new level looks great! Importing new Dinosaur vocals is not something many new Tres modders do. In fact you might be the first. Most people have been too intimidated by the process and sensitive file format. I look forward to learning what is on the other side of the bouldered pathway.
I'm a bit of an audiophile so messing with tpass sound and music files seemed like a logical next step for me personally. It surprises me that they didn't use more JP sounding dinos in the game. maybe the audio file size was a limitation during development?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

We have come to understand that DreamWorks Interactive was able only to purchase a minimal license from Universal. Tatu what was it, only the right to use the name/franchise-brand? They obviously got away with Lord Richard Attenborough's voice as well, but various things were not allowed to be included, including the sound. Even the ingame Jurassic Park banner was removed.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:We have come to understand that DreamWorks Interactive was able only to purchase a minimal license from Universal. Tatu what was it, only the right to use the name/franchise-brand? They obviously got away with Lord Richard Attenborough's voice as well, but various things were not allowed to be included, including the sound. Even the ingame Jurassic Park banner was removed.
I think that info is in one of the team member interviews, but I'm not entirely sure.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tatu, do you remember those details?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Tatu, do you remember those details?
I don't remember no.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

https://streamable.com/l8egii

more playing around with audio stuff. A location trigger that plays a distant rex roar. it'll be in a different location than in the video
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Impressive. I might be able to help or advise on how to make the trailing portion of the roar a smooth fade-out.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Impressive. I might be able to help or advise on how to make the trailing portion of the roar a smooth fade-out.
a fade out is something i wanted to incorporate. looking through the tscript references im thinking it will involve writing in something involving ActionType 3 = "CFadeMusicAction" and then float VolumeFader = ???? but i could be totally wrong and i dont know how to write the script exactly.

it could be easier for me if i make the original audio fade away in the editing program i use.

unfortunately My laptop just crashed and I lost progress on a building I was in the process of creating so I think im closing tressed for the night. do you want a link to the WIP level for download?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I can wait. Figuring a fade edit in your own program is a better idea. I have seen the milusic fade action work on some computers and not others.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:I can wait. Figuring a fade edit in your own program is a better idea. I have seen the milusic fade action work on some computers and not others.
edited the original audio to include its own fade out. I have a few audio samples from JP1 rex scenes(roars, growls, snarls, etc) is there a way to make the rex in tpass use different sounds in a semi random way? from what I remember the original sound box had 3 strings for rex sounds. i dunno if they were played all at once or if each sound string was played in a cycle to give variation to the roars. I can play around with stuff in tressed but if you have any tips on getting some variety mixed into the rex roars, bites etc id greatly appreciate it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm not on my computer at the moment but a given vocal cube can be given as many sound entries as you put in it. I believe they play in random sequence already. Try giving whichever one is used by ActBite several different sounds and you can see.
In the more advanced department, there are a few different AI actions which may cause a Dino to make sounds. I remember ActStalk is one. I believe in the past I had some particular awareness of a few sound-causing actions but I am in need to experiment again to find out which.