Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: New level almost finished

Post by Draconisaurus »

I have returned to exploring this region of the Five Deaths today. Why more levels in recent years haven't been built from withinside others, to use the support of normalmaps and already-imported assets, I'm not sure. It works.
Spoiler: show
I began the level again, and used savegames, on this time. After some tries, I made it into the keycard-activation locale. Far away I could hear a Jeep engine idling - I mean, some distance away was the sound to inform me that some door or another had been opened. Returning to the ground, I found this door, and passed on into a fenced region of some intrigue. I enjoyed that I did actually see/hear the fence sparks as separate from going up to touch the fence.
The white truck before a certain entryway had an oddness to it. Has anyone seen this error before? Possibly something to do with specularity settings... The rim of the back door alternated between having this shine-error and not.
TresTruck01.jpg
TresTruck01.jpg (470 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
I don't quite remember seeing so many of these crested Dinosaurs in one place, before. They proved a potent adversary, but I finally made it to a white bricked building of special interest.
Here I paused, and hope to continue after a day or two's camp, a used AK by my side.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I think I know the location you're talking about. I skipped it completely, just climbed over the wall...
Then this afternoon I went back from my latest savegame (near the end of the level) and explored that area too.
Oh, and at first, I hadn't even picked up the corresponding keycard, either. I did that some time later (yesterday), going back then too. First I thought it was for the wall at the end of the next area, but it turned out to be a different color...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

Draconisaurus wrote:I have returned to exploring this region of the Five Deaths today. Why more levels in recent years haven't been built from withinside others, to use the support of normalmaps and already-imported assets, I'm not sure. It works.
I began the level again, and used savegames, on this time. After some tries, I made it into the keycard-activation locale. Far away I could hear a Jeep engine idling - I mean, some distance away was the sound to inform me that some door or another had been opened. Returning to the ground, I found this door, and passed on into a fenced region of some intrigue. I enjoyed that I did actually see/hear the fence sparks as separate from going up to touch the fence.
The white truck before a certain entryway had an oddness to it. Has anyone seen this error before? Possibly something to do with specularity settings... The rim of the back door alternated between having this shine-error and not.
TresTruck01.jpg
I don't quite remember seeing so many of these crested Dinosaurs in one place, before. They proved a potent adversary, but I finally made it to a white bricked building of special interest.
Here I paused, and hope to continue after a day or two's camp, a used AK by my side.
There's so much unused space in retail levels in addition to a variety of scenery and other assets that are available to use already in the level it makes things a bit easier. I guess the level files are larger but modern systems have plenty of storage space so I figured I'd take an easy route.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The unused space in the levels is there because it belongs to other levels... all Trespasser levels have a location within the larger island map, so to speak. Here you can see a map, with overlays for the areas occupied by each level, right at the top of the page:

https://www.trescom.org/documents/
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Today, I return with available time to JungleTest. It does continue to impress, as well in design as in occasion of raw difficulty.
Shortly after Dawn today, I set out from camp, leaving the safety of my night fire behind and seeking a way to enter the building as I had found yesterday. Not far was a wooden mode of accessing what lay beyond the manmade barrier, though its far side was guarded by reptilian ilk. So fierce was their stewardship of whatever lay beyond that I had need to retrace my steps into the dwelling previously visited, and there acquire such weapons as I had left behind. With these I was able to make way around the pit, centered as it was on a cluster of bones and useful items. A veritable Dragon's nest as sure as I have seen. With barely breath left in me, I succeeded in felling a few of the onslaught which was thrown, and escaped with the blue card and back to the unentered building. Though my description is brief, the effort was in seeming of many hours, and I am in need once more of rest. After this and a portion of such ration as I have left, I plan exploration of the rooms beyond the wall at my camp.
Really, was quite epic. I haven't had such trouble with Tres AIs in a while. For critique, I appreciate the use of retail-Trespasser style foliage placement. The TrnObjs are styled this way, too, though I suggest that a greater variety is possible to place. I understand if part of your concern was a lack of the proper colors for smaller squares to place around; the basic jungle ground for the final game was made later on from the design of the other textures.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zg0665fx7 ... 4.zip/file

totally unrelated to this level but made it just for fun. started messing around with .tpa files...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Does this level currently have an end trigger? Or are you supposed to just keep wandering around after you're done?
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

machf wrote:Does this level currently have an end trigger? Or are you supposed to just keep wandering around after you're done?
no end trigger. I just made it for laughs. I kept getting killed by raptors. they're everywhere and sneak up on you. the music plus vegetation masks their footfall and makes it hard to judge where they are.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I was killed twice but managed to -sort of- finish it.

I'm thinking of recruiting you later for help on finishing The Fort...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm I am waiting to have a look at this newest release, until I have finished JungleTest. This morning I spent time there again.
Finally I was able to enter the building marked for secure purposes. Inside were a strange pair of computation devices which eluded my guesses on precise purpose. Possibly they were constructed for similarly illusive tasks. Irregardless, I did find fresh ammunition inside, and after acquiring an oddly flat-tasting water from the vending machine, proceeded out into the jungle once more.
Coming to a ravine on my left, I found a rusted bridge meant to span the casm. However its middle part has since fallen away, and it is now incrossable. A Velociraptor did give chase to me here, then in some clumsy fashion fell into the space below, allowing my to proceed. Farther on I found a tower of auspicious nature, requesting yet another card for access. Having not found it yet, I retreated to seek into the areas I had passed by. More card-requirement was found, then on my return way I noted a long-abandoned Jeep of precarious perch. I have some notion that in at least three alternative timelines, I attempted to use this as a form of descent into the gorgespace, but died in each case. Thinking better of it, I made my way to an earthen path downward, and narrowly avoided a great predator before my search indeed yielded one of the sought-for cards. Winning my way back out, I came to the tower and set myself to rest again before braving whatever lay on its other side.
This level has turned out to be larger than I expected. I thought I might finish today, but, clearly not. I continue to wonder why such vast direct modifications of retail levels weren't done in the past. Possibly a few were made and crashed at the hands of their modders before seeing the light of release.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmm I am waiting to have a look at this newest release, until I have finished JungleTest. This morning I spent time there again.
Finally I was able to enter the building marked for secure purposes. Inside were a strange pair of computation devices which eluded my guesses on precise purpose. Possibly they were constructed for similarly illusive tasks. Irregardless, I did find fresh ammunition inside, and after acquiring an oddly flat-tasting water from the vending machine, proceeded out into the jungle once more.
Coming to a ravine on my left, I found a rusted bridge meant to span the casm. However its middle part has since fallen away, and it is now incrossable. A Velociraptor did give chase to me here, then in some clumsy fashion fell into the space below, allowing my to proceed. Farther on I found a tower of auspicious nature, requesting yet another card for access. Having not found it yet, I retreated to seek into the areas I had passed by. More card-requirement was found, then on my return way I noted a long-abandoned Jeep of precarious perch. I have some notion that in at least three alternative timelines, I attempted to use this as a form of descent into the gorgespace, but died in each case. Thinking better of it, I made my way to an earthen path downward, and narrowly avoided a great predator before my search indeed yielded one of the sought-for cards. Winning my way back out, I came to the tower and set myself to rest again before braving whatever lay on its other side.
I like how you describe your playthrough as a story.

This level has turned out to be larger than I expected. I thought I might finish today, but, clearly not. I continue to wonder why such vast direct modifications of retail levels weren't done in the past. Possibly a few were made and crashed at the hands of their modders before seeing the light of release.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

machf wrote:I was killed twice but managed to -sort of- finish it.

I'm thinking of recruiting you later for help on finishing The Fort...
sounds interesting. Still much to learn. hope I can help in some way.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

I think i'm going to integrate a storyline in my next level. I think it will involve drug cartels operating on the island.
Attachments
cocaine.jpg
cocaine.jpg (377.66 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Will have to check out this new level soon, don't quite have enough time on my hands at the moment but the file size definitely says something about it!

The plantation is really well done. I never would have thought to use those plants for exactly that. Could definitely see some interesting action with dinosaurs in those fields.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

And, my final trip into the level. In all this was a great mod, primarily in the exploration-puzzle way. Familiar locations were made new with particular alterations. You've inspired me to work on a mod of some original level myself, one day. For where improvements might be made, we can help with the transparent texture issues. The new Raptor skins you imported were using 24-bit textures, as used for transparent things like muzzle flashes, instead of 8-bit which is the usual kind. A relatively simple fix. Do you have any 2D graphics editors? Sometimes even MS Paint can be used. Otherwise such a small detail is something I or someone else can handle. And, a number of objects in the level were missing their physics - mainly the trailers and their enclosures. Just remember to select them when moving things, and to check later by turning visible objects off and seeing if their physics are missing or not.
My rest done with, I applied the red card to the door marked "H", and was let inside. It seemed another communication outpost of some kind. At its height was another card, which I had previously found myself in need of. I took it and my 20-round gun with me, back past the chasm and to the boarder, where the reader fortunately still worked. An additional Raptor group stalked me through the hills as I made my way, finally to a more substantial outpost which must have been this valley's base of operations. The outbuildings kept here seem to have been mostly emptied of supplies, and the concrete structure as well. Some unknown location behind was still under construction and yielded no aid, however I did find a landing pad close by. To my astonishment, after waiting here some time and wondering how I might effect rescue, one of the helicopters employed by my team came within audible range. I fired my weapon into the sky, in vain hope that it might be heard over the rotor. Possibly it was not heard, but then its shape did appear on the horizon, whereafter I began firing many shots into the sky in hopes of the case that its orange flaring might be spotted. Success! My transport out arrived, and I discussed all I had seen with my team mates as we hurried off in return to our encampment.
I do plan a wait before delving into your next release, small as it is described. For the smuggling operation level, I give my best wishes - also I point that "PDrugBundles-00" is an object made for Trespasser by the devs, found in one of the alpha builds and in the Mystery Models. Possibly it has potential for your mod:

https://app.box.com/s/k7lviwdufkg80u3tkyj8o9zghkexfb6r
DrugBundles01.jpg
DrugBundles01.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 3154 times