IT Beta - hppav and Draco's research thread (From Tresgame)

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: IT Beta - hppav and Draco's research thread (From Tresga

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:I've noticed that one in the past, too. However I don't think they simply edited the TLW logo down - the Lost World logo is invariably seen in that "cracked" style, which this isn't. Though the larger bottom part does look TLW-ish. Perhaps this was an early version of the TLW logo that they edited?
Actually, there was a Jurassic Park logo in the same colors as the TLW one even before TLW...
I always assumed that the alternate island map image was meant to be Isla Nublar in Trespasser's canon. They didn't use the film's Isla Sorna, so it makes sense to me that their depiction of Isla Nublar would be different, too, despite the shape of the island being well-known in both film and book.
Yeah, I also thought that was Nublar's map...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh! That theory is fascinating. Let me see...

Oooo. I have found now, that the alt- contractor trailer is indeed a Mystery Model. Here is the original texture containing the image:
TresNublar01.png
TresNublar01.png (126.89 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
And here is my own attempt to clean up the map, very briefly:
TresNublar02.png
TresNublar02.png (439.42 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Assorted renditions of mapping Isla Nublar from the novel may be found here (as I understand, none are from Crichton himself):

https://www.google.com/search?q=isla+nu ... iRyJrvL5OM

Here, at least, is the one published with the book - most likely to be viewed by the developers.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Hmmmm. That Eastern peninsula seems to be whereabouts the East Dock would go. Possibly the Sauropod Swamp is shown with a lake area. The Northern region does seem a bit mountainous. Notably, the island is no longer tear-drop shaped...

And finally, I'd like to note that the location of the mountains in this old novel-Nublar map, are where Mt Sibo does end up being in (JPTG? and) Jurassic World. This seems fitting.

Possibly Isolt can perform a texture upscaling on the original unpaletted texture shown above, to present an even clearer image of this vaguely developed Trespasser Nublar canon.
Isolt
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Isolt »

Hi Draco.
I'm not I can add much but here it is. I tried a few models but none of them were stunning
NNHDTresNublar01_rlt2.png
NNHDTresNublar01_rlt2.png (385.75 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ahh that is great! Thanks...

Hmm. On the outside chance that a Novel-inspired Isla Nublar be one day re-created in Trespasser, I elect that this map should be used, as basis for what game versioning might be crafted. No idea on if I might try this, myself. More possible would be a select location.. which, could still potentially make use of this map, if only as a texture in a room.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I thought that image looked familiar. Or at least its shape. Google comes up with the boreal toad.

:razz:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I notice already that you guys are quickly starting to refer to this particular map as Isla Nublar, but let's not be too hasty...we really have no idea what island this is supposed to be. It could be Nublar, it might not be. Might as well call it the Mysterious Island.
Personally I would have probably put it in RTJP as one of the planned future Jurassic Parks in Europe or Japan.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No, the Mysterious Island has a different shape: :wink:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huuuhhhh. I enjoy machf's suggestion. Where is this island from? What happens on it? And before anyone asks, NO I'm not going to mod it. Such projects usually go better when the fabrications there in are original to the modder's mind.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's Lincoln Island, from Jules Verne's novel "Mysterious Island". I've been wanting to model it for along, long time...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm, I ought to read it some time, to be sure. Are Dinosaurs among the inhabitants?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nope. Tha would be "Voyage to the Centre of the Earth", rather...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well that is most unfortunate. Rather that we should create our own islands of similar purpose, and insist upon their state of Saurian habitation.