Drac's Tres Re-Exploration

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Drac's Tres Re-Exploration

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:Oh, and BTW, this screenshot:

LMAO I've never noticed how the road texture being messed up in that early screenshot!

@LAB55 pond. I always found it weird how much area there is around LAB there without anything there. It is so off comparing to other levels.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

For a long time, we wondered "where is there a fork in the road that looks like that...?"
The obvious candidate was the Lab level, but until that version surfaced, there was no luck identifying the place...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

tatu wrote:
machf wrote:Oh, and BTW, this screenshot:

LMAO I've never noticed how the road texture being messed up in that early screenshot!
Durr machf's edit didn't appear to me. Thankfully Tatu quoted it :yum: And that is pretty hilarious... I was thinking I'd seen this texture error while playing b55. This makes it pretty clear. And damn I've wondered for years what odd road location that screen was from, haha...

EDIT:
For a long time, we wondered "where is there a fork in the road that looks like that...?"
The obvious candidate was the Lab level, but until that version surfaced, there was no luck identifying the place...
Yeah srsly.
@LAB55 pond. I always found it weird how much area there is around LAB there without anything there. It is so off comparing to other levels.
Comparing to other retail levels, for sure. I have noticed that a number of things which were common in early builds, EITHER disappeared entirely by the time of retail OR have only one or two representations in the final game.

BTW, I recorded this yesterday...

https://youtu.be/nvNyL0abfI4
(video won't embed, apparently due to copyright on the music...)

Some quirk about the physics of the Quake symbol, lol, no idea.

---

Aaaand we're on. Go go go! Today we return to LAB55. In Hammond's room... Uh first, I have to fly there. And I sort of noticed on my way, that the auto-foliage of the area leading up to the complex is uh, well it's quite regular, you can pick out the repetitions about as easy as terrain tiling... :? Don't usually notice this. Idk I just think they could have randomized this a bit better, with different pockets of foliage or something.
LABtrees01.jpg
LABtrees01.jpg (257.35 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Anyway, inside Hammond's office again. Gotta be something here. Well it's fun, turns out that in this narrowly-distributed version of the game, they thought it was acceptable to actually have the tablet thing from the desk, lodged inside actual desk physics like they intended. It uh, quirked out a bit and then landed on the floor for me. I mean, I certainly don't mind, it's just funny.. And of course, satisfying to see things still in a form as they were intended. Don't actually know which part of the desk killed me last time.
LABdesk03.jpg
LABdesk03.jpg (344.72 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Downstairs meanwhile, I found this thing... which struck me as very odd. A first aid kit. I mean, they did go and put emergency fire boxes everywhere...
LABfirstaid01.jpg
LABfirstaid01.jpg (145.86 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Now, Tatu didn't understand my confusion. But this thing is quite significant. One reason is that there is no first aid kit in the retail version of the game, of course. In fact even the first aid from the smuggler's plane is missing. But anyway, this building ALREADY had a first aid kit built into the wall, as seen in the Mystery Models:
LABfirstaid02.jpg
LABfirstaid02.jpg (207.53 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
The above image is in fact the wall to the right of the previous image. And as well, there was a first aid kit put into the wall of the computer building, in the Mystery Models:
LABfirstaid03.jpg
LABfirstaid03.jpg (195.92 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Sooo two things. One, why remove the first aid texture from the admin building, only to put in a 3D box of totally different appearance for the same purpose? Possible explanation, they did still hold out hope for implementing a heal system in Trespasser, whenever this box model was put in there, and thought it was better than the flat wall texture. In b55, this box is present in the admin building only, but both the admin building and the comp building are missing their first aid textures. Perhaps a 3D first aid box was put in both buildings at around the time the first aid textures were removed. Possibly the textures were removed when the health system was finalized without healing, and the 3D first aid box was put in because it looked nice. This includes the possibility that the devs were told to remove first aid references due to the final health system, then they thought it was okay to include them actually as long as they were non-functioning and put this new 3D box in, then changed their minds and said 'no that's not a good idea'. Whew. Anyway the first aid thing amuses me. By the release of the game, Anne must have been very upset at the lack of bandages.

This here is the lounge in the computer building... The ah, the chairs are all... tiny? As are the tables. Memento the-kid-urinal-in-the-lab-building. Some weird possible dev joke about kids doing the science work.
LABchairs01.jpg
LABchairs01.jpg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Soooo... we've all read about the scifi references in the computer building textures. Star Trek, Star Wars... But did anyone notice the BREAD REFERENCE? Heh. Those who follow Seamus Blackley on Twitter may notice that a good 51% of his tweets are about baking bread with ancient recipes. Tatu tweeted to him about this texture while I was doing all this and Seamus replied heheh. IIII still believe Seamus left us an actual bread recipe of some kind, something we should bake for TresCom members at some point if at all possible.....
https://twitter.com/ZucchinaGhost/statu ... 5762012160
LABbread01.jpg
LABbread01.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Something fun I noticed when in Nedry's room. Aside from that the mace fell through the floor when I tried to grab it, along with all the computer towers on the top floor and the soda machine, I noticed that this poster of "Swords of Kandar 2: The Scratchers" looks an awful lot like the ending scene from JW:FK -
LABkandar01.jpg
LABkandar01.jpg (158.9 KiB) Viewed 6771 times

So ahhhh, the password was useless, due to the fact that the keypad was just not working. I would sometimes get the button to turn green, after which it would stay that way.. Separate from that, I would sometimes get button sounds an a "wrong sequence" alert sound. *sigh* Flying inside, I saw the capacitors... And uh, dude. I tried recording it on video but couldn't do it after the first time... I was able to actually have the weigher-thing dip to the side of the heaviest capacitor, then I swapped them (blue and red, I think) and it dipped in the opposite direction, as it should... It was beautiful. Freaking couldn't get it to happen again. Ah well. The capacitor poster in the adjacent room is pretty neat, too.
LABcapacitors01.jpg
LABcapacitors01.jpg (123.91 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
LABcapacitors02.jpg
LABcapacitors02.jpg (131.22 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Soooo. There's a keycard slot, gray instead of blue, with no keycard.. Got it open with just a palm scan. Hmm. Oh when I was in TresEd, I noticed that the freaking cardreader is part of the door mesh. In retail it's a CEntityAttached. Meanwhile the other two parts, the lock mechanism and the palm reader, were regular instances attached via CMagnet. :lol: So I went into the CRAY vault, everying was pretty familiar... Some of the terminals were already blinking, some weren't. When I hit the lever by the door, they all started blinking except the orange one, which was off the whole time. Odd. Anyway I hit the buttons in the load sequence, heard only 1 Hammond voiceover this time (maybe others used to be there but were specifically moved to the harbor for the intro), and then the CRAY computer voice. Neat. I uhh, went outside to visit the pens (no not the machf ones), but erm.. no sooner had I walked a few steps passed the mounted 50 cal, than the game loaded an empty SCN scene. ??? Weird. Maybe that area was too buggy for review.

Well! On to the TresEd pass. Hmm I... what the... Appaaaarently this level has the head physics object for Anne. I was really psyched for a second but then went to check ingame... Nah, the game ignores it, it just sits floating where you start out.... *hits cane on floor* Damn!
LABanne01.jpg
LABanne01.jpg (273.92 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
LABanne02.jpg
LABanne02.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Huh, this level actually has an obj named "Teleport_Start". IIRC this is common in the retail; it's the first I've seen it in these old builds. Oh weird... VH50 is in a trigger floating above the first wood pier where it can't be reached. So, a step of removal present... AND, it was removed from the retail TPA files. Why would this be removed? It doesn't refer to anything that was taken out of the game... If this were a movie, I might say the director decided he didn't want this to be part of the story. But that doesn't sound much like something that would happen at this stage of development. ..... Oh jeez. I just checked, and that same VH50 trigger is still floating there in b116. It's almost as if the trigger is the security rim, which we unconsciously wanted to still be there by the time we reached it, but alas, by the time we got to play the game it was gone.....
VH50: Technicians and workmen crowded around the docks fearing they might be left behind when the security rim collapsed. Armed guards stood watch.
Huh. Also in the area, there are some tall pole pier objects, each having 2 models at once, which aren't in the retail. If these poles were separate models, and made it into retail, I think there's a good chance they would have been put to use in some mods by now, something like TheFourTowers... The crane here is moveable still, with a rotation magnet... However, I couldn't get this one to spin ingame. Either too heavy, or the gun didn't have enough push. Huh... the yellow keycard reader. It has its own script for the texture animation, but the trigger for opening the door does nothing to it... I guess they hadn't worked out the kinks in this one yet.

Code: Select all

group PCrd_Rdr_Light1-00 = {
    string Class = "CInstance"
    bool Bumpmaps = false
    string Anim00 = "PScrtyCrdRdrLGHT00t2.bmp"
    string Anim01 = "PScrtyCrdRdrLGHT01t2.BMP"
    float Interval = -1.000000
}
Huh, the reception desk... The one in the office is moveable. The one next to Hammond's office is an instance of it, but that one is -02... There may have been a third one, -01 somewhere, or possibly at some point the harbor one was -01. I quite like this model. There's an alternate version of it in the Mystery Models, with separated button models... I uh, I scripted those buttons to do something in TstScnRld, if anyone remembers. :pirate: Those German technician theft voiceovers are still in this office building. Why would they be placed here? Ah wait, just looked up the Hammond Script again:
On pier
HAMMOND051
Two German technicians were accused of conspiring to walk out with crucial research materials.

Briefcase with tools and a gun, found behind rusted hidden panel
HAMMOND052
They had planned to breach the main computer vault and remove some of the data stored there. No proof was ever found.
'Cause I remember, years ago, imagining that the staircase could have had a removable wall panel, hiding a briefcase from these technicians. Always wanted to put that in... *sigh* Oh, fun thing, the back "control" door of this building is openable, here. As it is in b55 PV. It's sorta like, eventually this door became locked, an omen of the locked-ness of PV that was to come... Hmm Warehouse A has trigger for teleporting the female Rex into the harbor. I never saw this happen when I was ingame but I'm assuming that's just because I went elsewhere afterward. Hmmm... The female rex that it teleports, is sitting under the terrain a short distance beyond the pine billboards. I wonder if at some point it was thought that it would slowly walk towards the area on its own, upon being awoken by the player? Possibly. I think there are still a couple instances in the retail levels of dinos-to-be-teleported that are in random, non-basement locations. Hmm, what IS up with the concrete outdoor tile extending into forested area in this build? As well, area that is not flat terrain. No idea which thing happened first... Heh I just went into retail LAB and discoverrrrred that um... this area, they took the concrete out, but they ALSO took all the pines and ferns and rocks out, AND they flattened it. :lol: !! My guess is it started out as just wilderness, then they added the concrete without removing the foliage, then they removed the foliage and flattened the terrain, then they changed their minds again and took the cement out but couldn't be bothered to re-plant the trees. XD

Ah jeez, I didn't notice these while playing... Guess that, like the gas station car lift, they were meant to work at some point. I wonder what Tres would be like if the only difference were that CMagnet actually did all the things it was dreamed to be capable of. :|
LABwarehouse01.png
LABwarehouse01.png (101.96 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Hmmm. The walkways in here are in separate pieces, just like retail. I wonder if earlier versions of this level had actual moveable physics for these, and attempts to make them break apart, I mean beyond just the model-design phase.. ...Whoa whoa whoa, hold the press. Outside the warehouse is a CAnimal named "RaptorZ-08"....... And I just checked, all RaptorB's in this level are RaptorZ, and all RaptorC's are RaptorX. Nuts!!!
LABraptor01.png
LABraptor01.png (351.33 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Oh I neglected to mention that the gas-station-originating cover platform things, coming before the entrance and exit harbor gates, are absent in this build. Ah well. Diiiiuuhhh oh damn, apparently the Trike in this level is called TrikeZ, too. Odd. Even the joints include the name. Possibly it was to distinguish this version from a previous PredefinedVertexAssignment version? Maybe it even treated the Act@@@ booleans differently. Huh, this trigger has a doppler bird ambient sound, as its only action leading into the lab complex... That's pretty neat.

group Trig_AmbPathPlac02 = {
    string Class = "CLocationTrigger"
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 1
    string Sample = "AMB-ITOWN-BFIELD02"
    bool PlayerInTrigger = true
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    float Volume = -10.000000
    float Attenuation = 0.000000
}
The back-window entrance to the BioChem building, which I didn't use, has a trigger with a retail-removed voiceover:
VA177: All through the 80s, they were out here in the rain, keeping their secrets...
I don't remember what that one sounds like, I'll have to give the b96 TPAs another listen sometime. Duh.. What? So that door that swings way super wide of the doorway when pushed, due to a defunct magnet... According to where it is ingame, it shouldn't do that. That's bizarre, and probably explains why they took the whole door out in retail. :| Huh... The cord to pull for the face wash, is a separate model. Seems someone thought it would be pullable at one point.. Wow maybe they thought they'd have an animated water spray thing. Would have been neat. And well the water spray part wouldn't have been that hard heh. Oh weird... The north side of the admin building here is missing roof physics. So that wood board meant to help you get onto the roof, just drops you back inside the building immediately, and makes the conference room puzzle obsolete. :S Whoa cool.. the flatscreen monitor on Hammond's desk has XFree and YFree! Went ingame to test just now, it works great!! I imagine it is possible to make it go crazy and broken, but while I was doing it it was actually quite sturdy, even while I manhandled it. I figure the double-axis spec adds some sort of partial resistance to the alternate direction's motion. Neat, I'll try to remember this for future use. Huh, I'm in the bathroom and noticing a lot of physics objects have swapped orientation values, at various wrong angles. Thinking about it now, the white truck also has an issue with its front windshield-to-door strut being at a wrong orientation... New theory: the dev's maxscripts were fraking up orientation values when the meshes were below a certain size in Max. We know that Tres scale inside Max is very tiny and when you look closely, it appears to muck up the vertices/edges which SHOULD be the same relative to each other, but have oddly become schismed... So, I'm thinking this is a part of a general issue Max has with small things. Hmm ughh... Looking at the keypad, it looks alright at first glance. Not gonna mess with figuring out why it doesn't work. Probably another one of those "technically it should work but this is Tres" things. Huh oh... It appears from the physics models' positions that the comp building may have had 2 youth urinals before they were "fixed" to normal. lol.

Aaaand we're back in the capacitor room! I'm afraid that's all we have time for today. Tune in next time, when Anne will travel back in time to place her handprint as an accepted reading for the computer vault in 1989, 5 minutes before the evacuation order.

---
To Be Continued
---
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
So ahhhh, the password was useless, due to the fact that the keypad was just not working. I would sometimes get the button to turn green, after which it would stay that way.. Separate from that, I would sometimes get button sounds an a "wrong sequence" alert sound. *sigh* Flying inside, I saw the capacitors... And uh, dude. I tried recording it on video but couldn't do it after the first time... I was able to actually have the weigher-thing dip to the side of the heaviest capacitor, then I swapped them (blue and red, I think) and it dipped in the opposite direction, as it should... It was beautiful. Freaking couldn't get it to happen again. Ah well. The capacitor poster in the adjacent room is pretty neat, too.
LABcapacitors01.jpg
LABcapacitors02.jpg
I was looking at the resistors, and the values don't match the standard color code for resistors:

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

@machf
Huh I wonder why that is... Couldn't have been TOO difficult to look up the right ones o_O

Tatu, thanks for moving the topic into Trespasser Pre-Release 8->

And heeeeeere we go! We're back, in the vault again. Well, almost.

Sooo the capacitors... The interesting part was fiddling with them ingame. I notice that white one here, mass of 16... Could NOT pick it up ingame, just falls out of the hand. Ah well. "Pttoyoilpumpc00-00", the base instance for the weighing device rod thing, is uhh... Wait. Toy Oil Pump? Wtf is that. And what would it have to do with computers. Odd...... Anyway here's an image of the basement version. As you can see it has tall physics on either end to stop capacitors rolling off. And the arm's main physics is textured with the same images as the device, hmm. After some analysis I'm not sure exactly why the arm manages to be so stiff in its ingame movements.. possibly just the density settings, or possibly friction with the strut that holds it up.
LABoilpump01.png
LABoilpump01.png (94.8 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Soooo Tatu told me about this yesterday but I couldn't get to it ingame. The wall panel for the capacitors would not come unstuck... so I left it. Seems the devs at this point had a single capacitor event scripted, where "Ptcapacitors01-01" could be jammed into a tiny cube trigger next to a teleport destination instance, causing this to happen:

group TrigCap01_01Pos1Move = {
    bool ObjectEnterTrigger = true
    string TriggerActivate = "Ptcapacitors01-01"
    float MaxVelocity = 1.000000
    int BoundVol = 1
    bool PointTrigger = false
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 18
        string ObjectName = "Ptcapacitors01-01"
        string TeleportDestObjectName = "TeleportPtcapacitors01_01Panel"
        bool SetPosition = true
        bool SetOrientation = true
    }
    group Action01 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        string MasterObject = "Ptcapacitors01-01"
        bool Breakable = true
        float BreakStrength = 4.000000
        bool Enable = true
    }
}
Obviously the first action teleports it into place. Uhh what does PointTrigger do again? I forget. *looks* oh turns out we're not sure. I should test that in Drac~Test. Anyway funny thing, this teleport action uses SetPosition and SetOrientation... I uh, when I learned how to use this AT, I found that it would go wrong if you didn't set bool HeightRelative = false, in terms of height, so I always included that. Not sure what true relative height is in this case. Relative to what? Another thing to test. Anyway with that value, it seemed that teleportation always automatically set the position and the orientation. I think? What if it's the player and they move relative to the... lol I'll test that later. Anyway the second action here is the CMagnetAction, which has always confused me. The T-Script Reference indicates that there is probably not a value used to specify a target magnet, rather you name an object and modify properties of the magnet which is attached to it? This sounds completely ridiculous but I think the engine actually does something along those lines... Anyway, instead of Freezing the capacitor you just jammed in, it creates a BreakStrength for its magnet. The uhh only magnet which would have been on this capacitor model would be its hand-hold magnet.. apparently the hand-hold magnet is supposed to become a fixed, breakable magnet now? So fuckin weird.
LABcapacitors03.png
LABcapacitors03.png (186.06 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Hmmmm... Ahaaa!!

group Action03 = {
        int ActionType = 21
        string Target = "Svaulthandreader00-00"
        int Frame = 1
        float Interval = 1.000000
    }
This is part of the script for the trigger which opens the vault doors. Which, btw, I need to test and figure out exactly how "Drive" works, what its limits are, etc. But uh, remember how I said the keycard readers weren't doing their animations, even tho their frames were scripted in the visible models? This right here, I do recall the door animation playing when I touched it. So. Seems they DID get it to work, but didn't apply it to the keycards, fsr. Odd. Oh fun thing, the model of the keycard reader on the mesh of the vault door... It has an actual opening in the model for a keycard to go inside. Very cool, might use this eventually. Hmmm... Is there uh, is there something I'm missing? Missing?

group TrigLftVltDoorStop01-00 = {
    bool ObjectEnterTrigger = true
    bool PointTrigger = false
    string TriggerActivate = "Scompbuildvault1-00"
    int FireCount = -1
    int ActionType = 20
    string MasterObject = "Scompbuildvault1-00"
    bool Enable = true
    bool ZFree = true
    float Friction = 5.000000
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int BoundVol = 1
}
This trigger is supposed to stop one of the CRAY doors, as it's swinging into the room. But all this bloody magnet script says to enable it, to keep it with a free-swing axis... FireCount -1, I can only imagine why that is. *sigh*... Possibly there was some goofy code, where setting the "Enable" value to true... again... has the weird effect of "toggling" the enabledness of the magnet? Hmm uh these "stop" triggers don't define Drive values for the magnets but they do assign a new friction value. I kinda considered Trespasser Friction values to be a lost cause, but this could very well indicate that a high enough friction setting can stop a door from moving. ...Just went ingame again, after those doors hit the stop triggers, they won't budge. That's some powerful friction.. Well moving on. Theee CRAY XMP itself... has um, rather strange physics. Starts out okay at the bottom, but then going up it's.. I dunno what is that? It looks neat yeah but what's it got to do with the shape of the machine.. :yum: ..
PS: Tatu pointed out, those low ones are in fact sticking underground, the right height in model but placed too low.. and are still that way in retail. :S
LABCRAY01.png
LABCRAY01.png (131.24 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Oh and of course the animated screens inside the Vault also work. So there's that. They appeared to be all the same textures as retail. Anyway moving forward... You may recall that my game loaded an empty scene as I approached the pens. Weeelll turns out this was done by a sphere trigger, which IF interpretted to have the exact dimensions of the mesh, wouldn't fire until you left the pens. But of course that's not how it works and you never get to go inside because the actual sphere bounding volume sticks out into the area ahead of the pens. There's probably a lot of people over time who've been in the level and never even gotten to the CRAY because this trigger fired while they were exploring in the back. Huh. Oh and check this out - "asc.scn", that's pretty neat! Like "bch" instead of "BE", and "SUM" instead of "SU"... Heh it's called "SU" in a TestSceneNght trigger. Anyway, we know another alternate level name now, that's neat. And it may have pointed to a level which was all of AS and AS2. :statue:
PS: I just noticed... the trigger calls this level "IL". :o Apparently LAB, which I've also seen as LA, was at one point called IL, for "InGen Lab". Like "InGen Town". Nuts!!!

group Trig_Level_IL-00 = {
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 16
    bool PlayerEnterTrigger = true
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    string LevelName = "asc.scn"
}
Awwwe look at this. The chew toy! The physics of this object are in the basement of LAB116, but I always thought it was some kind of ribeye or bone or something... Apparently it's a blue zoo toy thing.
LABchewtoy01.png
LABchewtoy01.png (292.73 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Oh jeez look at this. You know the steel door missing from retail, in the BioChem lab? Turns out the Pens door was basically a reversal with some vaguely different details... We could have used that texture this whole time to recreate the missing one! *facepalm* I want to note, the man-sized pens door leading out towards the buildings, has no magnet and is moveable, but has bool Frozen = true. That is, the earliest I've seen this value used in the game. Hmmm.
LABdoor01.png
LABdoor01.png (367 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
And well now on to the basement... Aha! Look at this. A setup for the guns. Many will jump right up and say "hey it's that thing from TestScene!" However this particular massive crate is much bigger than the ones in TestScene.. It does have a similar name: "SBlock-00". The equivalent one in TestScene is "SBlock00-00", which has a similar array of guns but not the same, next to the raptor-summon board. Here in LAB, a fun note - the tranq pistol is indeed scripted to use the tranq muzzle flash, "FMFtranqMF00-00"! The retail game never uses this. Another note... Long-time modders may remember that, the mesh faces for the top of the 50 cal's stand object, can be found on the gun itself, further back (towards the trigger) than where the stand model is placed in its basement form. Apparently the devs had already changed the location of the pivot for this mounted gun, by b55.
LABguns01.png
LABguns01.png (191.29 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Hmmm. Elsewhere in the basement, the various bent and non-bent ribar pieces, no longer have hand-hold mangets! Shame... Huh, the basement has that centrifuge model but no instances of it ingame. Hmm with the exception of the picture frames and the wooden desk clock, the basement items all appear to be more centrally organized in this version of LAB than in retail. Dahh hmm I just realized. The foliage parent instances are all on the opposite OTP area of the map... And next to it is the full complement of crates. But there were crates in the other basement area... Apparently those were all specialty crates for this level:
"PwoodcrateWarehouse01-00"
"PINGENFrdgLtWarehouse00-00"
"PcrateINGENWarehouse00-00"
"PINGENLrgLtWarehouse00-00"
"PINGENHugeWarehouse-00-00"
"PcrateINGENWarehouse01-00"
"PBoxes4Stairs0-00"
I uh, I wonder if these were the earliest crates put into Trespasser, and possibly had different textures in earlier builds of LAB? Or "IL"... I could see it. At any rate, "PBoxes4Stairs0-00" sounds like a model which was cooked up by the devs when they needed to start designing warehouse puzzles in LAB. Orrr it might have started in another level, but so early that it didn't make its way into the usable builds, but by later times these early crates were already integrated into LAB design and so were just left there. Duhh funny, there are still some stumps and rocks in LAB55's basement which have invisible instances for physics instead of submodels. None of them have any cloned instances. Huh. The uh, the horiz pine model is now the reduced-branches version from retail, but the physics for the additional branches are still on it, lol. Oh the dinosaur base instances are back here, each ending in -00 heh. I should note, that they are sort of randomly placed by each other. AFAICR, in b116 they are always in a straight line, I think with always the same relative sequence one end to the other.

Okay so I just found something pretty strange. The terrain object called "TrnObj_PhlKMmrkr01-00" is used in Pine Valley exclusively with the KM markers. It looks like a patch of sand with a bit of dirt. There are exactly 7 instances of it in PV - the basement instance, and -01 to -06 ingame. Now LAB also has this trnobj in the basement, and I went and just discovered that it has the base instance and then 4 additional instances, -07 to -10. Uh. There are no KMmrkr's in this level. What is this trnobj doing with ingame instances? So I went and checked... They are at very strange locations, indeed.

TrnObj_PhlKMmrkr01-07
LABmarkers07.png
LABmarkers07.png (636.84 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
TrnObj_PhlKMmrkr01-08
LABmarkers08.png
LABmarkers08.png (553.1 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
TrnObj_PhlKMmrkr01-09
LABmarkers09.png
LABmarkers09.png (637.67 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
TrnObj_PhlKMmrkr01-10
LABmarkers10.png
LABmarkers10.png (601.2 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Uhhh. Possibly a very very old alternate route through the level? This one seems doubtful. But the fact remains each of these is very far away from any road. Tatu has the idea that they may have been area references, for the devs. I mean, that's the best guess I've seen so far. What do you think?.. :|

...Been discussing this with Tatu. He has a combined version of PV and LAB, which includes the various instances of the KMmrkr trnobj. And he's projected a possible, older course for the road between the Geo Plant and the Lab complex. Perhaps, there was an offshoot road that led to the harbor itself. As well you can see here, the projected road goes through the middle of those sand trnobjs, as if they were placed on either side of the road at a certain point. Possibly even, this was where the road would have split into whatever provided access to the harbor.
Spoiler: show
LABtatu04.png
LABtatu04.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 6755 times
Oh duuude. I have just remembered, how the bridge over the second riverbed in the SHORE area is angled differently from the road. Checking now, the KM marker is also angled differently!! This is nuts, pretty clear the road followed a different path at one point. Tatu, you're a genius. Also, Tatu suggests that it all points to a pine road that would have allowed separate access to the Harbor and Lab, for security reasons. So that people could get into the Lab without passing through the Harbor, etc. Makes sense. In fact it was surely changed in order to set up gameplay in a specific navigation sequence.
LABmarkers06.png
LABmarkers06.png (526.82 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Dah-hah this is interesting. For the first time in Tres, I see the standard vocal cubes... Though, the set is incomplete, here, tailored to the dinosaurs present in LAB55. In retail, all Tres dinosaurs have their vocal cubes present in each level.

"VocalTrexBite"
"VocalTrexAttack"
"VocalTriceratopsAttack"
"VocalTrexWhimper"
"VocalTrexCall"
"VocalRaptorSnarl"
"VocalRaptorCall"
"VocalRaptorPain" 
"VocalRaptorAttack"
"VocalTriceratopsPain"
"VocalRaptorRoar"
"VocalRaptorStalk"
"VocalRaptorWhimper"
"VocalAnneOuch"
"VocalTrexRoar"
"VocalTriceratopsRoar"
"VocalTriceratopsCall"
"VocalTriceratopsBite"
"VocalTriceratopsWhimper"
"VocalAnneAmmoCount"
"VocalTrexPain"
"VocalRaptorDying"
"VocalRaptorBite"
"VocalTrexDying"
"VocalTrexStalk" 
"VocalTriceratopsStalk"
"VocalTriceratopsDying"
Anne only has two vocal cubes here, hmm. At least people didn't have to listen to "HUP" all the time, yet. Excepting TheIdiot and his parallel-life instances of course, because as we know none of them use the jump button in Trespasser, so. Dah oooo! oooo! oooo! There's a hit spang in this level! LAB is also the only b96 level with hitspangs, as I recall. For those who don't remember, hitspangs are what came before particle effects in the Trespasser engine. For example this one below, ... Oh. It's a bunch of hitspangs. Just, all of them but this blood one on the left, were itsy-bitsy and I had to scale them up to show them. In order, left to right:
"FMFHitSpangBloodcone00-00"
"FMFHitSpangDefault00-00"
"FMFHitSpangGround00-00"
"FMFHitSpangChips00-00"
"FMFHitSpangGlass00-00"
"FMFHitSpangSpark00-00"
"FMFHitSpangWood01-00"
"FMFHitSpangWoodTrn00-00"
"FMFHitSpangBlood00-00"
LABhitspangs01.png
LABhitspangs01.png (64.73 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Their script is neat. Haven't looked at this in a while. For example the blood cone one is assigned to the 3 sound materials of each dino in the level:

group FMFHitSpangBloodcone00-00 = {
    string Class = "CHitSpang"
    bool Shadow = false
    int Normals = 2
    int SpangCount = 8
    float MinScale = 0.400000
    float MaxScale = 0.400000
    float Decay = -175.000000
    float ScaleLimit = 1.000000
    string A00 = "Dino"
    string A01 = "RAPT-HEAD"
    string A02 = "RAPT-TAIL"
    string A03 = "RAPT-BODY"
    string A04 = "TREX-BODY"
    string A05 = "TREX-TAIL"
    string A06 = "TREX-HEAD"
    string A07 = "TRIC-BODY"
    string A08 = "TRIC-TAIL"
    string A09 = "TRIC-HEAD"
}
That alternate blood thing at the end only goes to... "Jerky"?

group FMFHitSpangBlood00-00 = {
    bool AlwaysFace = true
    bool Shadow = false
    int Normals = 2
    float Diffuse = 0.000000
    float Emissive = 1.000000
    int SpangCount = 8
    float MinScale = 0.100000
    float MaxScale = 0.100000
    float ScaleDecay = -200.000000
    float ScaleLimit = 0.400000
    string A00 = "Jerky"
}
Just did a search, that's the only object containing the term "Jerky". Huh. Assuming some sort of food from Pens that got taken out. And uh, a straight flat plane is used for wood impacts -

group FMFHitSpangWood01-00 = {
    bool AlwaysFace = true
    bool Shadow = false
    int Normals = 2
    float Diffuse = 0.000000
    float Emissive = 1.000000
    int SpangCount = 8
    float MinScale = 0.100000
    float MaxScale = 0.100000
    float Decay = -300.000000
    float ScaleLimit = 0.150000
    string A00 = "Wood Hard 1"
    string A01 = "Wood Hard 2"
    string A02 = "Wood Hard 3"
    string A03 = "Wood Soft 1"
    string A04 = "Wood Soft 2"
    string A05 = "Wood Loose 1"
    string A06 = "Wood Loose 2"
    string A07 = "Wood Crate Small"
    string A08 = "Wood Crate Medium"
    string A09 = "Wood Crate Large"
}
- while, the 3D 4-sided cone is used for terrain impacts:

group FMFHitSpangWoodTrn00-00 = {
    bool Shadow = false
    int Normals = 2
    int SpangCount = 8
    float MinScale = 0.010000
    float MaxScale = 0.010000
    float Decay = -300.000000
    float ScaleLimit = 0.500000
    string A00 = "Terrain - Wood"
    string A01 = "Terrain - Cement"
}
Etc. ...Moving on. Fun fact, the LAB55 CSky is still called "TheSky-00", but its texture is not the typical blue happy day and is in fact "Sky_SU.bmp" This is interesting. For those who don't know, SU is a term used in TestScnNght116 referring to the night sky from some unknown version of Summit. This, alternate early Summit sky, also called SU, is not nighttime, but does come in as the earliest manifestation of late-day sky texture. Cool.
LABsky01.jpg
LABsky01.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Ah. Almost done... Off to the south of the ocean trnobjs is an array of voiceover triggers! Lots of ones from Anne, a few from Hammond. I'm thinking there were a lot of Hammond ones here but most of them got used by this build. Pretty neat, I'm curious why other levels don't have this set of voiceovers in the basement.. Guess it was just how this dev's style worked.
LABvoiceovers01.jpg
LABvoiceovers01.jpg (102.39 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Aaaand on to the next level! SUM55. First thing I notice, the first teleport trigger is, once again, called "Teleport_Start", like the retail levels. Am unclear what the real paradigm for the CTeleport naming scheme is. Fun fact, the wind turbine propellars in this level actually have physics! And a magnet with bool Instance = true.
SUMwind01.jpg
SUMwind01.jpg (383.84 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Okay so... This next building is freaking me out.
SUMbuilding01.png
SUMbuilding01.png (453.43 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
It's called "Stpowerstation00-00" and looks extremely similar to the one you're probably already thinking of, "SsupplyShed00-00" shown below. The one with a bunch of clones in retail. So where do I start... First off, there's a cute little keycard reader next to the door. Non-functional, but cute. Also part of the same mesh. In fact this whole building is one mesh, including the door. So the building below, the supply shed... In b96 we got a version of it with an interior, which was neat because the retail versions are empty, you can't go inside. The one below is also with-interior, not surprising. But this powerstation building above... This old, clearly earlier building, has no interior to speak of. ??? It's got a hokey little AC thing ontop with crappy low-detail textures.. which, the vent one is repeated on the side. The side.. the same sort of vent-opening is on the supply shed, but with an actual detailed texture that wasn't half-assed. You could literally swap the texture and improve crappiness instantly. Then the door... the door on this one above, is a freaking empty metal image. No signage, nothing. The one below, has some shine detail and a sign that says Authorized Personnel Only. Also what's up with the physics box sticking above the door? What's that? Oh, I'm sorry, did you say, "Well the door used to be shorter..." Cause that goes exactly with how stupid the rest of this is!! :evil: AND it means you went in to fix it without really making it any better.
SUMbuilding02.jpg
SUMbuilding02.jpg (332.17 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
One note... The door on the supply shed. It IS of superior design.. just uh, for some strange reason it doesn't have any physics, even tho the shitty attached unopenable one on the other building does. And it's got some funny rendering values. Oh well.

group Ssupplydoor00-00 = {
    string Class = "CInstance"
    float Specular = 1.900000
    float SpecularAngle = 0.980067
}
Anyway. So that neat little keycard reader... There is a separate model for it in the level.. well two, named "PCBnkrkeypad01-00" and "PCBnkrkeypad02-00". Funny, the radio building has an instance of each at the door, ontop of each other.. and, this super-early error persisted into the retail release. Somehow noone noticed or cared enough. Anyway, inside.. We still have all those computer equipment tower things. "Bunker Radio Equipment". But the radio itself is gone... The beacon button thing is still there, this time with a door. Hmm. There was definitely a radio conversation planned early on, since we have the Anne voiceovers. I have noticed that the Anne voiceovers and Hammond voiceovers describe slightly different versions of the game (Hammond describes the pylons going through the plains, where Anne describes finding pylons again and assuming they must go back to the town on one end). Anyway, possibly there was a version of the game without a radio conversation, and you would have just hit an emergency beacon that summons a helicopter.

Ahhh wouldn't you know, time's up. This has been a really fun one. Thanks all for joining! Helicopter leaves for the mainland in approximately... 5 hours. Stop stacking crates and leave now.

---
To Be Continued
---
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That's right all, we're back... on the mountain again. And there are uh, no trees to be stuck in, so.. yeah. Why no trees, you may ask? Because -

- weeee are in SUM55, once again. 8) And I realized that I forgot to do an ingame playthrough of this level, so, that comes next. Oh also, it seems I forgot to review PV55's basement in a previous post; I did a scout of it just now, seems we didn't miss anything aside from the expected gone-ness of the humvee and the creation of a little isolated area of props like the toilet, chairs, a table, the plastic plant, etc.

Anyway, SUM55 ingame. Seems the beacon doesn't do anything yet. The path up the crater... It uh, starts out practicable, but you do have to fly to get up there. Anyway, bunch of nothing until you reach "Shelipad-00" It has a stair block next to it, WITH physics, but it can't be reached.. Luckily there's a little terrain incline you can mozzy on up. The texture of this helipad is about the same as the one in IT and demo, but a little white-washed. Apart from this helipad and stairs, there are 3 things: a fuel cart, a fire extinguisher cart, and an antenna. The antenna... makes me quite sad. Actually this whole area does, but it started with the gazing at the fuse box... In this super-primitive version of the level, even, the fuse box is already shoved way up there... tiny, inaccessible, removed from the sphere of ingame puzzles. Not sure why they bothered to put the model in at all. Maybe for future game archaeologists like us. Anyway, it means 99% likely this level never, ever had a working version of the fuse box puzzle. Was just on paper, some dev told another dev to make this model, and with the mounting experience of what this engine could and couldn't do, they didn't even attempt to make this puzzle work. Very sad.
SUMradiotower01.jpg
SUMradiotower01.jpg (120.09 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
SUMradiotower02.png
SUMradiotower02.png (355.58 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
The fuel cart... Funny thing. I forget exactly where, but one of the models in SUM116 contains a texture with "fuelcart" in the name. I even used it in JPDS, for the single-spire power pylons based off ones where I lived. It's just a great, clean metal texture. Anyway we finally got to see the model when b55 came out. This thing is split into separate parts, like so many older versions of Tres assets... Seems they wanted all 4 weeks to have individual rotation magnets, can you imagine lol.

"Pfuelcart01-00"
"Pfuelcatwhl04-00"
"Pfuelcatwhl02-00"
"Pfuelcatwhl03-00"
"Pfuelcatwhl01-00"
"Pfuelcartbrl01-00"
SUMfuelcart01.bmp
SUMfuelcart01.bmp (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6727 times
And then, the fire extinguisher cart. Also with separate wheels, and uh bad smoothing groups, this model is.. quaint? Nice asset to give the helipad some variation other than more crates.
SUMfirething01.bmp
SUMfirething01.bmp (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6727 times
And then this thing. What is it uhh.. "Pwindsock01-00". If we'd had this in the JPDS days I would have put it in JPDS~streams with the airstrip, heh. Anyways, extremely simple model, with no actual windsock on it. Ah well, more asset variation. Oh and it uses a fuel cart texture, possibly the same one that's in JPDS. One thing I notice about Summit is that it just has all-around very clean textures, because these models haven't been rotting in the jungle. Great. Of course I do like when jungles rot things, but yeah.
SUMwindsock01.jpg
SUMwindsock01.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
Taking a quick look at the walkthrough.. what the hell was actually planned here, I remember it was vague and uncertain even then.. *reads* Ah, well. Seems even more anti-climactic than the retail game. :| Though evidently, a note here about a "powerful quote" from Hammond while standing next to a Hammond statue, is definitely what inspired the Ozymandias voiceover. You know, since it's next to a statue, I guess that's part of what made the writer (what was his name?) think of this famous set of lines. Neat. Anyways the walkthrough doesn't even mention a helicopter pad, pretty empty. Oh well.

Huh oh before we go to the basement, I forgot about THESE things. All leading up to the helipad, going up the crater edge, are these things... "Marker-00" to "Marker-49". Duhh huh um. Their script looks like this:

group Marker-00 = {
    string Class = "Marker"
}
A rare class of Tres object. I am quite sure this model is the only example. The T-Script Reference has this to say about the Marker class:
Marker
Is not implemented in executable. Maybe similar to Teleport?
Guess they took the code out? I uh, would like to know if there are any mentions of this class in the Source. Maybe its code was even just commented out. Anyway, they go up the side of the mountain... Very short distances... Random blip-by-blip teleports would be pretty strange. No idea how they would have been used. :!:
SUMmarkers01.png
SUMmarkers01.png (411.86 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
PS: I've just communicated with machf about Markers. Seems this description can be found inside the source:
TextProperties Document wrote: MARKERS
======
string Class = "Marker”;
// A Marker object is used as the base object for a group of instances of that
// object. When you hit the ‘m’ key, you summon a marker to your position in
// GUIApp.
Uhhhhhh. Possibly the parent-children scheme of "-00", "-01", "-02" was introduced sometime after the "Marker" class was designed? Perhaps the Markers in SUM55 were to anchor instances of a small aluminum walkway, at each point? How would the engine have known to do this? I am assuming if you play b55 that this doesn't happen... At any rate. I do think those Markers were intended for having walkways assigned to their positions. Some sort of strange engine mechanic we know little about.

Moving on... Scoping out the basement, I discovered that a single corner of the base trnobjs is mesh-detailed. Presumably, this is where the ocean is. Terrain edit mode shows no sign of anything here, but, yeah. Slightly strange but I guess it made sense to the dev at the time. Perhaps from a point in development when they thought you'd be able to look down at the island from here.
SUMterrain01.png
SUMterrain01.png (253.93 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
Soooo looky here. There appears to be a single cluster of basement models. Of immediate note is the SQUARE sky object, the only one I've ever seen. It is named "sky01-00", with basic scripts and "Sky_SU.bmp" as the texture. As a note for those who hadn't dug in before, retail sky textures are generally in the format "Sky_IJ128", for example in IJ. Why 128, when sky textures are 256, is beyond me. Anyway. All these aluminum walkways... I just checked, there are 42 here in the retail, just as there are here +the one big one which is named "S_EXAMPLE-00". Funny name, as if this one model is THE example model for all structures in Trespasser. :lol: But yeah, there it is.
SUMbasement01.png
SUMbasement01.png (113.18 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
Also, I tested the example walkway, to see if it fit the contour of the crater.. it uh, really doesn't seem to. Tatu and I are guessing that a different dev modeled it, from the one who was building the level. Summit is such a small level, so no way really that there was one dev whose main responsibility was SUM. As such it was shared, and this walkway example suggests a different dev made it from the one who was tasked with placing it. We uh, don't know if any of these were ever actually placed ingame... Before, I thought it was possible, but now I am quite sure the answer is no. Because, in both b55 and b116, these models have no script. No physics present. All we have is that square ascending walkway right by the entrance to the pad, in the retail version. Uses the same textures but none of the original models. Shucks. Of course, for anyone who remembers "SU~test" that I made years ago, these walkways did eventually have a future in modding...
SUMwalkways01.png
SUMwalkways01.png (243.91 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
And well that's it for SUM55!.. Now, TestScene55. There is at least one major difference here - the shooting range has been added! Complete with door that summons a raptor or plays music. The other two gun areas from TestScene116 have not been added yet. The raptor this time is final TribeB but his AI doesn't work in b116.
TSTSCNguns01.bmp
TSTSCNguns01.bmp (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6727 times
Hmmm there is an object in the pond... "Trig_WetClothes".. Rather odd script.

group Trig_WetClothes = {
    int FireCount = -1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 0
    string Sample = "WET CLOTHES"
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    float Volume = -15.000000
}
It plays a sound using the voiceover AT. I suppose it was be easy to test this ingame IF someone had b55 installed, which I don't and won't anytime soon. I uh, don't feel like going through the old TPAs at this time. Was this an Anne voiceover that someone thought sounded like she was dealing with her clothes being wet? Oh, right, in the walkthrough -
Anne036: Early on, splashes into stream
Anne036b

Ah! This sucks!
This is in JR, shortly after seeing the Mayan Face. Uh? Possibly meant for the JR streambed that runs through the hidden valley. Anyway, in the retail TPAs we learned that sometimes multiple text-sound-names can call upon the same sound file inside the TPA. Possibly this was an alternate text call for "VA36". It's just kind of funny, that the devs would think this quote would register with players as referring to the wet state of Anne's clothes. There is uh, a super-early prerelease image of a half-submerged wood crate, where the bottom half is darkened by wetness. Perhaps they had this in mind for Anne's clothing textures? I don't think I've ever seen a game do that...

Hmmm other differences. There is a missing ambient-sound trigger, and a missing ambient-music trigger. There's a new "Trig_Predator" which plays a Stream sound called "PREDATOR" with, get this, a 75% probability. Yeah that's an integer of 75 and not a float of 0.75000... Why on Sorna did the Tres devs use an integer for probability % instead of a floating decimal point? Anyway, there is a similarly suspicious trigger, sound-fire wise, in the old IJ's. As I theorized in an earlier post, sometimes the old engine may have been coded to activate certain ingame events when a specific sound is played via AT0. The other one was about AI. This uh, I guess this one might be as well. Or, I dunno. Maybe it just plays a music track from Predator. Well uh no, from what I read years ago people would have found that by now... What was that one music track about an Uzi? I forget.

Let's see. Fun thing.. the raptor teleport destination, "TeleportRaptorDest", has a full set of textures on it, unlike the retail ones which have no textures. The uhh.. Whaaa.. "TrnObjB_MuddyGrnd-08" was previous part of a sequence leading down towards the CWaterEntity. It's now been moved next to the red X, for that gold bar puzzle. Hmm aha! This level has the hitspangs. Not terribly surprised but this marks only the second specific level name, to have hitspangs in it. Neat. Huh. Back in-map, ontop of that concrete stuff is a new doppler ambient trigger.. and beneath it, a PlayerEnterTrigger trigger that you can't enter, which plays a Stream sound called "JUMP GAP"... Another special EXE call? Just an actual sound? Is this trigger supposed to be on the ground, where you'd only trigger it if you missed the jump? Hmm. A note, the muzzle flash textures in this level are 8-bit instead of 32-bit. Haven't been keeping track of that; I recall b96 had both in different levels. Also, the muzzle flashes are in the terrain right behind the shooting range... Oh, checking TestScene116, apparently Element2 in a CCollisionTrigger can be specified, without an Element1, and the trigger still works. Fun to know. Anyway by retail the muzzle flashes are safely in the basement. Hummmm... In the basement is a field of MASSIVE vocal boxes. Kinda amusing. As with LAB55, there is Raptor, Tric, and Trex. And Ouch and AmmoCount for Anne. Am guessing these are the only dinosaurs they had working at the time? Or, no, we've seen working Paras older than this... I wonder what gives. Huh also in the basement is "Trig_MusicIJ01-00", which plays a raptor attack music track. Not sure why it's out here, or where it might have been placed ingame in TestScene.

Wellz! I am off to chill with some friends across the river. Thanks for tuning in. Competition's over, close the entries, I'd like to thank everybody who lost. 8>

b96/97 tomorrow!

---
To Be Continued
---
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Okay then. On to part... 9. Part 9. Here we go. As per the following graphic made by... uh I forget their name, but as per his graphic, the next build is b96, which is the same as b97, so, what comes after is for both builds.
builds.png
builds.png (69.72 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Starting with... Well first I'll mention the intro cut scene. I have the full files for b96, I just stuck the data folder into my regular CE folder after renaming the retail data folder. So it uses the old menu/TPAs. The intro cutscene was minus a bit of music, seemed a bit scratchy.. was nice to see the non-interlaced version, nor the "fixed" version people have made off of the interlaced one. Oh and the uh newgame cutscene, has Galvan's voice instead of whoever did Jill for retail. Honestly I prefer interlaced, looking now.. Your mind's eye can fill in more of the details when 50% is missing, making it seem more realistic.

Inside BE96, ingame... That wheel is here, as I remember. Theee rock which falls, to demonstrate the CWaterEntities, is not here yet. Nor is the 24 bit ocean texture transition. There's a weird giant boulder going up instead of the step-rock, aaand... the entire starting area is pretty empty compared to b116. It also has a couple Hammond voiceovers which really don't fit, coming before Anne figures out where she is. The early ones in retail make much more sense. This version of BE, has no tutorial to speak of, nor really the starts of one... I wonder what the creator of BE had in mind for tutorial-elements, before he actually got around to making it. Hmm. Oh of course this build still has the square trash can, absent from b116 and one of Tatu's favorite things back when the Beta was released. The fence door won't open... instead you go through a little gap covered up by boards. Funny thing about this is that, this gap in the fence is part of the ORIGINAL version of that IT old fence model, found in retail IT, and.. this is the only time I've ever seen it used, tho I could be wrong. Funny.

The brachio area is a bit underwhelming this time. I entered from below, and eventually found out that there is no Hammond introduction to the species, nor epic music... As well, after that pond and the May Rains voiceover, you can't climb into the raptor-bridge area from down here, you must go all the way back around... lame.
BEbrachio01.bmp
BEbrachio01.bmp (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6715 times
When she gets there, Anne doesn't wonder about her friends drinking... and the teleporting raptor appears in the air, and won't move unless you backtrack towards it. The bridge puzzle is vaguely more intricate, which I appreciated. But then there's no raptor afterward. Hmm the monorail pieces here still have the big middle hump, instead of the flattened one they made for physical interaction purposes... as well there's a monorail-wood piece here, which retail doesn't have any of, even in the basements I think. Theeee "World of Tomorrow" speaker box isn't here, just a gray box that serves as a button... and, the gate opens from the ground level, kinda neat. There were a couple BEEEEP missing-sound calls, despite that I'm using the old TPAs, I wonder what those were.

Going inside TresEd... Huh. There is a tiny flat square up and to the left of the lagoon:

group WaterDisturb00-00 = {
    string Class = "CWaterDisturbance"
    float Strength = 0.500000
    float Interval = 0.700000
}
Guess they decided they didn't want it when the game starts up. Possibly it was causing one of those water bugs. Possibly they want the player to be surprised when they walk into the still water and cause their own ripples. Also, IIRC all CWaterDisturbance objects in b116 are cubes, not flat squares. Hmm.

Something odd... As I recall, all retail invisible instances are colored pink in TresEd within their original, unmodified levels. However, this unmodified beta level has a mix of pink and the familiar multicolored-scheme. I wonder what makes the difference. I recall, years ago in the earliest days of JPDS, the basement actually had some pure pink models... the physics of the door for the tool shack. Which I think are custom, even. But I could never replicate this, and they eventually became un-pink. Strange. Anyway BE96 already has the NoSwim voice trigger, that's interesting. Also, for those who didn't notice, the cliffline edge trnobj in this level uses a PH texture - "TrnObj_PHstreambed00t2.bmp". I used this texture in the PH contest reconstruction, before the actual PH came our way. Heh.

Hah! The tutorial-subtitle-only voiceovers are actually used in this level. I had no idea. Or at least, the jump one is... Hum some of the scaffolding models are used ingame, here, unlike b116. As such their physics and magnets are present ingame, instead of the basement. The first fence is gone and water later becomes the shooting range is totally open. Huh... apparently the gate DID have a magnet. Hmm seems that neither the main model nor the submodels had Density or Mass specified, so, guess they were just too heavy. Hmmm.. over by the unimog with the hunting rifle, tutorials FIRE, PICKUP, and DROP are included. ..Ah! lol, they didn't set HeightRelative to false for the raptor teleport, that explains it. ..Huh. Teleport_start in this level, is over at the Terminus. Must be taken from JR. Why would a JR trigger end up in BE? Sometimes I wonder if only certain devs knew how to use the scripting engine. That seems very possible. Hmm.. the SWING tutorial is over by a piece of ribar in the Terminus area, and not by the baseball bat.. odd. Oh and heheh, the physics for the version of the Terminus wall from the JR Max scene are here, as they were in JR55, even though neither has that old version of the wall in it... All these builds later and still these erroneous physics, heh. Makes you wonder what sort of level-cleanup phase there might have been at some point, and during which build...
BETerminus01.png
BETerminus01.png (665.06 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Huhhhh... BE96 even has a CTeleport called "Teleport_Area01" which is beyond the level-end boundary, into JR. :lol: Oh and. There are four "TrnObj_BeachGrass-00" trnobjs in this level, not since before or since. They surely go to a version of BE which was in intermittent-development stage. These large hexagon trnobjs are very reminiscent of early Trespasser and were mostly removed for the final game. Possibly an old, lost BE had even more hexagons.
BEgrass01.jpg
BEgrass01.jpg (511.9 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Moving on to the basement... Ah. This is now the first example of the basement spreading out its objs over a large area, including with multiple, separate, distant sections. Hmmm... There is a "RaptorA01-00" in the basement, but only "RaptorA01-01" gets teleported into the play area... And, both brachios in this level are the same size. Hmm, the basement's got a "TrigStart_" trigger for the terrain, but it's a "CLocationTrigger" that can't be activated unless you teleport over there... Duh. The full complement of ribars in this basement have the hand and shoulder magnets, again, even though they began to remove them in b55. Funny. Hmm oh, there's a desert eagle by the raptor-truck apparently, but it's buried under the terrain... Aaaand there's another one on the OTHER side of the Terminus wall, that you can't get to obviously. That's funny :lol: That monorail wood piece, seems to be the only one, but it's number -12... guess there used to be more.

Soooo uh, these are, these are fun. I didn't remember that there were THREE triggers associated with an ASA animation in BE96 - the only version AFAIK that has any mention of ASA files. Here they are:

group TrigStart_Anim-00 = {
    string Class = "CStartTrigger"
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    int ActionType = 26
    string AnimationName = "Start"
}

group TrigStart_Anim2-00 = {
    string Class = "CStartTrigger"
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    int ActionType = 22
    bool Visible = false
    string ObjectName = "Player"
}

group TrigStart_Anim3-00 = {
    string Class = "CTimerTrigger"
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    int ActionType = 22
    bool Visible = true
    string ObjectName = "Player"
    float MinLowTime = 18.700001
    float MaxLowTime = 18.700001
}
According to this, an animation called "Start" plays as soon as the level begins; as well the Player is immediately made invisible. Then, 18.7 seconds later, the Player is made visible again. So, we're missing an 18.7-second-long animation. Some sort of neat flying-view of the island, I guess. Assumedly it was removed due to instability of swift, constant camera motion. As well I've just noticed that I never use CTimerTrigger... I always use the CDelay actiontype, or the FireDelay value. I'll experiment, see what it can and can't do. Oh also, next to these 3 triggers are some standard start-triggers of the sort that have become entirely standard by b116. Huh, that giant fallen palm, "V_Fallen_PlamB-00", was used ingame here again by the unimog, but with no physics.. I am starting to think this model was never given physics. ..Lmao. The worklights physics.. for some reason.. are, really far away from the visible model, and are in the middle of the foliage area. ??? Haha
BEworklights01.png
BEworklights01.png (167.75 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Aha, the full complement of vocal cubes is here now... Including Drink, but those are all grayed-out and without script. :? Skirting around the edge of the map, there are 2 monorail models way out by themselves... the one of the basic single-block pieces, and the standard long combined one seen a couple times in JR... But if you look carefully, they appear to be at their JR ingame coordinates. Am guessing the single-block is about where the first manlifter goes.
BEmonorail01.png
BEmonorail01.png (160.78 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Huh! Cool. Like LAB55, this level has a little area for voiceover triggers. There are... only 2 left at this point. *hears "Only two left..." in Anne's voice*..... But uh, it's VH9 and VA14.
VH9: The mysterious John Hammond, shady investor, multi-millionaire.. *laughs* jovial mad scientist.
General introductory line...
VA14: "No trespassing." Thanks.
Funny, I put this one in BE Reloaded. By the various materials we had it was evident that this voiceover went in the Terminus area, so I put it by the gate. Anyway now we have the Anne script, which says this, in reference to a spot in JR away from the beach and approaching the Terminus but not there yet:
Anne013: Leaving the beach
(nervously)
Anne013b
Maybe…maybe if there's a phone line, or a radio…

Anne014: Passes "No Trespassing" sign,
Anne014a
(reads)

"No Trespassing." Thanks.

Anne015: Entering the jungle
Anne015a
Oh god. Someone's gotta come get me.
As a note, the previous and next voiceover are present ingame, in BE96/97.

Oh, there's also this, explaining the VH9:
Anne019: Opens gate
Anne019b
I wonder what they left here.

HAMMOND
The mysterious John Hammond - shady investor, multimillionaire, jovial mad scientist.

Anne020:
Anne020a

Try "weird psycho old guy."
Sooo, that would have gone at the end.

Next! JR96.

Duhhhhh. CE um.. apparently only stores 1 screenshot at a time, if no mod folder is being employed? I just learned this, and lost all my screenshots. Have to go back and retake them. *facepalm*

Okay so. I picked up the Rex Tooth right off the bad, of course. 8) Then I went into the far-left lane... little known thing that you can go that way in b96. In fact, along the way there is a moveable palm ingame, possibly the last one you'll see chronologically in Trespasser. Some remnant of a puzzle set-up attempted by the dev between the b55 crates and when the path was sealed off. As I recall, when I found it years ago, it was the first time I had seen this model, and I was fascinated that such a thing had once been used in Trespasser for puzzles. Anne being able to pick up a whole palm tree...
JRdeadpalm02.bmp
JRdeadpalm02.bmp (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6715 times
And, several builds later this jeep STILL has all the same black texture errors as before. Oh and the Mayan Face is now, sadly, gone... Though, as Tatu discovered years ago, its textures are still inside the SPZ for this level in b96. Unusual. I'm not aware of how textures are added to a SPZ file.
JRjeeptex02.jpg
JRjeeptex02.jpg (280.63 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
This. Having been through the early builds, it occurs to me here that the bizarre road trnobj placement we're used to in JR, from retail, may have started out when JR was much more open-ended, as it is in b55. Before so much of its area was closed off, roads may have been sprinkled about and not had the unfortunate occurance to go up or down indrivable slopes. Might be fun to analyze, some other time.
JRroad01.jpg
JRroad01.jpg (316.7 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Huh. Looking here, the streambed is... extremely thin. That's just, odd. It's a healthy thick-size in b55. Why would they make it so thin..
JRstream01.jpg
JRstream01.jpg (335.15 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
The beach, b96. It's... not a beach lol. "There aren't any snakes on the beach." Yes well in this case there's no beach for them to be on or not, anyway. Actually there is an Allo skull here in JR116, maybe it was "allowed" to show up because the area was no longer a beach. :lol: But so. This area is extremely boring. Nothing but a bit of water and picknick chairs/tables. Not even any tea. Boooo..!
JRbeach03.jpg
JRbeach03.jpg (241.22 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
The Hidden Valley... That's what we all call it, but at this stage I wish we had a different name for it, stemming from what it originally was instead of the empty area we use only to have, from retail. Got no ideas. Sad, at this point the valley has already been squished together.
JRhiddenvalley01.jpg
JRhiddenvalley01.jpg (354.29 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Up at the end of this valley, I died fighting a raptor with the Trex tooth. :( Starting over, I went to the phone booth. I noticed that the board-rim of the roof is textureless. No idea why. Also upon pressing random buttons, the phone voiceover played twice. I don't think that would happen in b116. Hmmm no brachio in the valley after the gorge (tho the gorge has a fun classic-style trnobj covering it, neat). Theee Final Exam monolith jump area STILL has the same predesigned pieces found in b22, amazing. And still with the missing faces at each track segment end. Ah well. Also, that manlifter still has purple in its texture...
JRmanlifter01.jpg
JRmanlifter01.jpg (372.53 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
......Aaand I'm afraid I got a little distracted by the TresCom Discord today, so that's all here until tomorrow, when we'll explore IJ96/97 in TresEd. First we eat. Sleep. Two hours. Then we hit it. :pirate:

---
To Be Continued
---
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I wish we managed to find some level versions in the 40s, 60s, 70s and/or 80s numbers...
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

Draconisaurus wrote:Okay then. On to part... 9. Part 9. Here we go. As per the following graphic made by... uh I forget their name, but as per his graphic, the next build is b96, which is the same as b97, so, what comes after is for both builds.
That was me. :D
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:I wish we managed to find some level versions in the 40s, 60s, 70s and/or 80s numbers...
Same. I would like to see how AS1 & AS2 looked in early stages, along with a more developed BE comparing to 55. And of course, a Plains version with the actually terrain. :ebiggrin:
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Possibly the most epic post in all of TresCom right here...it's like the Trespasser Odyssey. :wink:

I read over the whole thing last night. Some really interesting finds here.
I had no idea about that potential alternative road in LAB, though it makes perfect sense.
Interesting that the capacitors seems very close to being in a working state, but it seems like they couldn't quite work out how to make the puzzle operate, sort of like how the Geo Plant doesn't work properly in any version of PV.
Early JR is extremely interesting, it's probably the level closest to how the walkthrough envisioned Trespasser. You can actually read the walkthrough and follow it around the level, finding pretty much everything it describes in a semi-finished state, or at least being obvious where it should eventually be.
Early BE (Bch) is also quite something, the open-style of the terrain indicates to me that at one point the entire game would have had largely open level design...while I was doing the terrain for the Island Project, it became really evident where the developers had edited the terrain to close off parts of the level, as their later work is very jagged and rough, clashing heavily with the natural style of the rest of the terrain. It seems as if there is a lot of area that should have been playable, but this simply couldn't be done in 1998 - the object count in the levels would have been at least doubled. Nowadays you'd have been able to climb every peak of the island.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah, Velociraptor Alpha, that was you, neat thanks 8) It's quite helpful.

machf and Tatu I agree, that'd be pretty nice... Maybe we'll see those and more Max scenes in the afterlife...

EDIT: Ah hey TI. Thanks :lol: It is one of the most in-depth, long term dives I've taken into the game. Yes the new Lab road is one of the more interesting finds, very well-hidden... The capacitors, I mean, I got the weighing thing to work exactly once, with two specific capacitors. Hardly a working-state. Where they got by b55, is close to where I'd say that modern Tres-modders could pick it up and make some sort of working hacky version, heh. The geo plant... could have sworn that everything but the cooling tower was working, though with a chance that the turbine puzzle would go crazy before finishing it.. I'll have to investigate that soon. JR, I agree... Hm. Now that you describe it, with the terrain, I am thinking possibly that some of the later/final modifications to the terrain, looking all jagged as they do, were edits done inside 3DS Max. As you may recall from stuff we got years ago, Tres terrain was put together using layered heightmaps in photoshop, including as it seems a layer defining terrain detail level... But you know, with the model in Max, that could easily be modified manually before the terrain is exported. 'Nyways glad you joined us on this quest :statue:

Oooookay. Onward! Hold on to your butts...

TresEd JR96/97. So... This time, Teleport_start is outside the gate, as one would expect.. the JP CTeleport's carried from JR into BE96, are not present here. I... LOL. I was just selecting another CTeleport object, and this tiny trigger way beneath the terrain happened to be selected as well:

group TrigTranqPickup-00 = {
    string Class = "CObjectTrigger"
    bool PickUpObject = true
    string A00 = "Ptranqpistol00-02"
    int FireCount = 1
    int ActionType = 0
    string Sample = "VH95"
}
It's Hammond's quote about "Lindstradt guns, by the way. ...". Interesting. i uh... Oh, this is in retail too. Never knew. Anyway I was a little in error, "Teleport_Area01" is back, which was in BE96 at the same spot, so. Huh... VH7 is played by the little water spot to the right of the start gate, where the barrel is in retail. This voiceover is already in BE96.. Odd. Huh whoa, a huge hint trigger pointing to HintID 200 is mostly-buried under the Terminus area, unlikely to be triggered. Anyone want to dig out the Hint Strings from the beta? ...Aha thank you Tatu:

18200, 	"Amonorail - ooh, futuristic!  Well, these tracks must lead somewhere."
...Evidently meant for BE, which is why it's mostly on the other side of the wall. OR it was made early enough that the Terminus was a part of JR still. The previous, and only earlier, hint says this:

18100, 	"The Beach hints will start here"
So, no BE hints in this build, basically. Humm the start has a music trigger, with a track even the b96 TPA doesn't recognize:

group Trig_MGate-00 = {
    int FireCount = 1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 2
    string Sample = "MusGate"
    int SpatialType = 0
}
...Aha! Teleport_Area02 is in the far-left path, that I took ingame. Neat. The path which is "intended", has Teleport_Area03, with a crate puzzle that looks identical to the retail. Hm oh, man... Remember the beautiful hill view, I posted from JR55? Well of course that hill is long gone now (associated with the "make out rock" from the Walkthrough), but the VH15 trigger from it is still here... buried deep in the terrain of the far-right path:
JRmakeoutrock05.png
JRmakeoutrock05.png (759.59 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
Hmm, the VA40 trigger where she says "Orchids!", is not at the top of the hill overlooking the Final Exam monorail, but rather in the pit where the Mayan Face usually goes. Wonder why. Heh that one voiceover, where Anne remarks about the face, is still there, where the face should be...
VA34: YOU saw what happened, didn't you...
And it actually works, in the beta TPAs. Also... This is the introduction of the super-spherical trigger into Trespasser. It's here in b116 as well, and it's.. extremely spherical. 224 faces, compared to the 8, 24, and 48 faces of standard Trespasser sphere triggers. Noooo idea why. Maybe the dev was upset that the Mayan Face got ordered to be removed. I *think* used this super sphere in the final version of JPDS, hard to remember... Hmmm. You know that lonely Trike, up in the far-right lane? She has DamageHunger = 10.0 ..... DamageHunger? She wants to eat plants faster if you shoot her? :lol: Hum. The dino bones from b96, near the Para on your way down to the "beach", are not here yet. Oh and speaking of the "beach"... Tres devs haven't invented "bakers" yet, so this thing is sitting there:

group InvisibleBeachWall = {
    bool Visible = false
    bool Tangible = true
}
Huh, wow. The REAL JR beach, left behind some of its audio triggers for us to find, in inaccessible areas.

group Trig_Amb_MainShore01 = {
    int FireCount = -1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 1
    string Sample = "AMB-BE-01"
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    float Attenuation = 1.000000
    bool Looped = true
    float MaxVolDistance = 0.700000
}

group Trig_Amb_Shore01 = {
    int FireCount = -1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 1
    string A00 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-01"
    string A01 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-02"
    string A02 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-03"
    string A03 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-04"
    string A04 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-05"
    string A05 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-06"
    string A06 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-07"
    string A07 = "AMB-PL-BPLANE02"
    string A08 = "AMB-BE-B01 DOPL"
    string A09 = "AMB-BE-WAVE-02"
    float MasterVolumeMin = -9.000000
    float MasterVolumeMax = -1.000000
    float SequenceDelayMin = 9.000000
    float SequenceDelayMax = 15.000000
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    float Attenuation = 1.000000
    int ProcessStyle = 6
    float MaxVolDistance = 0.750000
}
As well as diamond triggers for VH16 and VA29.
VH16: The southern beach looked out on trackless ocean, down past Peru, all the way to Antarctica.
VA29: This is like hiking in the woods behind my house. We used to pretend we were on a spy mission...
I happen to remember VA29 was placed a little further back in b55, close to the 3-way intersection that leads here. Ah and VH15 followed it, along the streambed heading towards the beach. ..Oh yeah, HintID 201 is at the intersection with the Trike and 2 attacking Raptors. It says:

18201, 	"Looks like a few ways to explore.  Best to remember where I left the monorail, though."
I think this is what the retail one here says, too. Moving on... the Hidden Valley, now featuring SquishednessTM as seen in b116. It appears that the ambient triggers, therefore, don't line up with its path in this build. Although.. they don't really seem wide enough, to start, for the width of the area. Hmm. Next to Teleport_Area05, is the slight unclimbable ridge that makes you hop onto the monorail segment... This area has instances of "TrnObj_mossblend00-00", of which there are only 35 in the level, all around the gorge and volcanic spring (except the basement instance). I... Oh yeah, the retail has these things too. I plugged the texture in JPDS because of how cool it was. I am 100% sure this texture was not in any other retail level, but it seems to appear throughout mid-stage Trespasser terrain texturing. For example the IJ96 base terrain texture, which many may remember was NOT the ugly base terrain from retail, was a mix of this and some kind of dirt texture. Fields of green and brown everywhere. 'Nyways JR55 has.. heh, 55 instances of this trnobj. All still around the gorge and the volcanic spring.
JRterrain01.jpg
JRterrain01.jpg (480.23 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
Duh. I just thought to check under the terrain for additional hidden triggers. There's one a little ways after the start gate which plays "VA20a"... VA20 is where Anne calls him a werid psycho old guy, which is a response to what the walkthrough said goes at the gate itself. Hmm. A little ways forward into JR is a nested pair of Anne voiceovers... "VA22a" which should say "This has to go somewhere...", and inside it is VA24:
VA24: No dinosaurs in here... I guess this was just construction. The real facility could be MILES away.
This is, after the 3 paths forward have finished, at the beginning of the open space with the jeep and wood shack. Hum...
Anne024: In construction shack

Anne024a
No dinosaurs in here.
I guess this was just construction – the real facility could be miles away.
Close to the shack but not quite there.. Hmm. Oh, just found another thing, between the shack and the Trike vs Raptors. "Teleport_Superjumpll"... Theeeere's, no jump here. I wonder what they left here. I mean--- I wonder what it looked like. In the Hidden Valley is a music trigger which plays "MusAmb1", it's not in the beta TPA files. VH57 has a trigger underneath and to-the-side, here... the rain-in-May quote. In this build that's also in BE, so, that's interesting. I suppose if the final version of the game had had this valley, it might have had this voiceover here.

Aha, the manlifter... Been waiting to get to this. So, here's a shot of the lifter box in b55:
JRmanlifter02.png
JRmanlifter02.png (479.41 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
Here is the same manlifter, in b96:
JRmanlifter03.png
JRmanlifter03.png (522.81 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
And again, in b116:
JRmanlifter04.png
JRmanlifter04.png (522.54 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
As you can see, a little circle thing appeared. Below you can see that its faces are visible from underneath. Some sort of ingame control device model was a part of this mesh, then removed, leaving its bottom faces behind... Why isn't it in the b55 version? It seems perplexing. Tatu points out just now that the b55 version doesn't have the lower control box, either. One would think that the earlier versions would have a version more matching what they wanted, for the functional plans of the model - for the Player to control its motions using hand-control things. Yet the earlier build is missing this, while b96 and b116 have these parts remaining. Did they try again to make it work, after fiddling with the engine? Did the dev revert to an older version of the Max scene for this model? Did they decide they wanted the control interface for appearances, even if it wasn't going to work? Hmm.
JRmanlifter05.png
JRmanlifter05.png (129.38 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
Ack, and Tatu just went and showed me the JR Max version of the manlifter, which has yet another variation... This is even more intriguing. Why would there be two different versions of the control interface? The earliest one just goes 2 directions. Possibly the later one was meant to be able to angle over 360. Did they change it in an attempt to make it work with their progress to the engine, or did they actually make it even more advanced before any version of it could be tested in-engine?...
JRmanlifter06.jpg
JRmanlifter06.jpg (187.92 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
Well that would appear to be all the time we have for Tres re-exploration today. Tune in next time when Tatu will reconstruct build 6 "TO" by reverse-engineering the Maxscripts and cross-referencing color palettes between different language releases...

---
To Be Continued
---
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Okay then, here is number... Um... Don't remember. Anyway, we now return to, the show and stuff. Dinosaurs. Crates, a few guns sprinkled here and there.

Back in JR96/97... Moving beyond the manlifter. There are a series of triggers in the naming scheme of "TrigYouGoThere##-00", all of which guide a single raptor to a succession of StayNearTargets leading up the monorail. This build is where they appear; I remember them in retail. The voiceovers in the area, seem very much like retail, don't see anything new to report. Huh... The wood shack is, again, the model without the shelves in the back... However, unlike the one by the crashed jeep, this one has *physics* for the shelves. Huh. Oh funny.. The second manlifter, down the track, has -01 instances of the $ubmodel-physics for the arm. Obviously a big no-no. Wonder why that happened. The arm physics box is a parallelogram instead of a box, too. Kind of strange. Hmm, and these physics have a texture on them that's not the DummyMap:
JRrock01.jpg
JRrock01.jpg (147.47 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
I seem to recall a number of invisible models in Tres which have a rock texture on them. The only other one I can remember ATM is the trigger model from demo:
JRrock02.jpg
JRrock02.jpg (81.43 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
I doubled its scale for comparison - as you can see it's based on the same image. The first was called "TRocA01t2.bmp", while this one is "TRocB128_00t2.bmp". Similar names. I checked, it's not the same image as the one used for the Mayan Face. Am curious why this texture was chosen for invisible models.

Moving on to the basement... I see the final version of the hunter skeleton set is present. I'm surprised how many builds Tres went through without including the human skeletons ingame. Must have been lonely. Hmmm that odd breakable yellow chair that I never think to put in my mods, has a basement instance set with all the physics and magnets. In retail this was fixed and they were moved in, so that the magnets would apply ingame.

Here's.. a mildly interesting note. The orange DummyMap'ed physics are clearly the older version, while the pink ones are when the devs went back in and applied more essential physics, for game stability purposes.
JRpicnic01.png
JRpicnic01.png (70.72 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Over at the ribar set, only the smallest one has hold magnets. First time for this specific version set. Huh.. I am noticing that it's much more common for older levels to have this set of wood pieces. In retail they are quite rare, especially ingame.
JRwood01.png
JRwood01.png (90.86 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
So sad... That fallen cuban palm "V_FallenCubanPalm-01" is the only one in the level. This used to be so common. And again, the final standard CStartTrigger set is represented, here. ...Ah! The sky triangle is now of square-based dimension, instead of elongated, and is called "Sky_JR-00" instead of "TheSky-00". The texture, as well, has the final naming format - "Sky_Bch128.bmp". All the ducks in a row... as the dinosaur linear basement sequence is here, too. B96 seems less like an early build and more like an incomplete retail game, heh. Looking at the gun set... It appears to be the final standard, none missing or added. Interesting considering that PV96 has a barrel-clipped hk91. Assumedly that one was put in while they were scripting more new guns but hadn't arrived at the final set yet. As is common in retail when there are no ingame instances, the tranq rifles have incomplete script. I'm not sure why. They also still have the shoulder-brace on the butt which was removed in retail (except in TestScnNght). But the rest of the guns appear to have their finalized script. Daaahh the bloodsplats.. this is the first time I've seen them. *checks* Yeah, not in BE96. Cool.

Oh speaking of BE. I must report that I neglected to discuss a couple certain trnobjs - "TrnObjE_LighttoBaseTrans8-00" and "TrnObj_HvytoLtTrans21-00". Both are present also in b116... but it's clear that they used to have different textures. Both claim to be transition textures but in appearance are consistent textures with a specific opacity for general-purpose blending. In fact one texture is named "TrnObj_grassmudd02t2.bmp" (left) and the other "TrnObj_grassmudd03t2.bmp". I am betting they once looked similar, but no longer...
BEtrnobjs01.png
BEtrnobjs01.png (873.99 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Of note, the object name "TrnObj_HvytoLtTrans21-00" (the brown one above) appears again in JR96... The model shape is roughly the same, however the mesh is, instead of a set of squares, a solid mesh form, with the same texture "TrnObj_grassmudd03t2.bmp"... Interesting. Not entirely sure what the devs' thinking was on this one.
JRtrnobjs01.png
JRtrnobjs01.png (223.74 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
And of course, the standard vocal cube set is here also... Including the grayed-out drink cube, again. Why exactly they took veg-eating and general drinking out of retail Trespasser, I have no idea.

That's it for this level - now PH96. Errrr I mean, IJ96. First thing, the starting area - very iconic in retail - is fairly different. The giant boulders are missing, this time, it's achieved by terrain instead... And there's a neat little "Phuntercybody-01", a motorcycle body without any wheels or other parts. The helmet is still here. Other very noteworthy thing here is the base terrain texture. It is not yet transformed into the ugly retail one, but still hearkens back to earlier builds:
IJtrnobjs01.jpg
IJtrnobjs01.jpg (109.36 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Hmm. In a previous post I said that the start of the IJ1 path in the early builds appeared to be different than retail. Comparing them now, they are in fact pretty much the same. Somehow they just didn't look very similar. Moving inward... that jeep you can tip over into the streambed, before the first CWaterEntity, is not here. There IS a complete motorcycle around the same spot, also perched above the streambed, tho good luck getting this to damage a raptor. I like how it has so many different pieces here... Oh the instance numbers are funny and all mixed up.

"Phuntercybody-02" instance of "Phuntercybody-00"
"Phuntercyhbars-01" instance of "Phuntercyhbars-00"
"Phuntercyrear1-01" instance of "Phuntercyrear1-00"
"Phuntercyshock1-01" instance of "Phuntercyshock1-00"
"Phuntercyshock2-01" instance of "Phuntercyshock2-00"
"Phuntercywheel1-02" instance of "Phuntercywheel1-00"
"Phuntercywheel1-03" instance of "Phuntercywheel1-00"
Yerrr, IJ still has the moveable fallen palm ingame, that's nice. Though its base instance is Frozen...
IJlogpuzzle02.png
IJlogpuzzle02.png (497.08 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Lots of raptor anchors around. Maybe because they were just discovering how useful those were. Oh uhhh. I forgot to play this one ingame first. Oops. Here I go.

That first pond is very shallow, here. Dunno why. The raptor right after is usually just walking straight into a log... The early climbing puzzles are more or less gone... Theee actual streambed crisscross log puzzle IS still here. For some reason, it was not as fun as b55. Am unclear why. There was, a neat little skeleton hoving above the ground though.
IJlogpuzzle03.jpg
IJlogpuzzle03.jpg (307.5 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
There remains a single trnobj with the original streambed texture, here where it used to empty out into the lake/swamp area. The Trex is here, of course not green this time, with two escort raptors. Not very dangerous really.
IJrex01.jpg
IJrex01.jpg (359.12 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
This jeep. It was there in b32 and b55, and is still here, though gets removed by b116... It's got a hunting rifle this time. As well, it has a sizable hill thing next to it, which is new, and more or less remains in IJ116. I like this spot. It's also next to where the Trex respawns by that later trigger. Oh and near this spot underground are also dinosaur bones from the previous builds other than b22.
IJjeep01.jpg
IJjeep01.jpg (370.84 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Oh, this is that spot with the over-sized underbrush underneath the terrain, like IT116. What build is this from? Not b55 or earlier, from our records.. Why so big? Presumably it was placed here at a stage after the lake/swamp had been removed in favor of the gorge.
IJjeep02.png
IJjeep02.png (269.2 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Over at the IJ2 waterfall, the flower without its stalk is present, for throwing... but.., its magnets are off, so you can't pick it up. Oops.
IJwaterfall01.jpg
IJwaterfall01.jpg (301.22 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Inside the gorge... carrying a hunting rilfe with me, first time around I tried to slip by without engaging, and.. died. Second time, shot the second two, and proceeded... The cave top is absent from this build. The second raptor nest, up next, looks about the same from ingame. As per a typical retail play-through, a couple of the raptors were already dead from fighting with bones...
IJgorge01.jpg
IJgorge01.jpg (221.62 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Moving on from there. It still impresses me how much completely new area was designed and made for IJ2. Probably the only time this late in development that any such thing was done. The volcanic cliff jumping puzzle is here now, but without the trnobj to fit... The jump down works, but the water at the bottom doesn't have a trnobj to highlight it, which they fixed later. Here in IJ3, the white jeep is moved off further down the level... It appears the Alberto and Para are scripted to run down south as soon as they're able, will check in TresEd later. Gravel hill looks sad now, without the crane arm... :? Also, the power pylons still don't have powerlines. And one of the numbers is doubled. Looking at the other levels... this area originally had a more stretched-out area between 21 and 20. But still had a pylon on Gravel Hill. Then they filled the gap with a new one, which was an extra 20. Then for the retail, they took out the old Gravel Hill 20 but kept the new 20, creating a gap again. And then there are a bunch of 21's going up the hill into PV (or some imaginary version of PV that doesn't exist).
IJgravelhill01.jpg
IJgravelhill01.jpg (291.48 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
The wood shack from the north end of IJ3. It's hovering off the ground this time, so you can't use it for hiding. Still has the mac10. The floating padlock is less high at this stage and you can stand infront of it ingame.
IJlock02.jpg
IJlock02.jpg (309.73 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
So, the culdesac finally has something in it. A truck.. no gun. And the two brown barrels. It now also has the two CWaterEntities which it retains until retail: "TWaterMexico-00" and "TWaterMexico2-00". In b116 there was nothing to tell why "Mexico" was in the object names.. I vaguely recall a musing that a developer had a personal memory associated with Mexico, that he associated with this spot when he made it. But no, turns out, the voiceovers about Anne riding the bus to Mexico - VA71, VA72, VA73 - are placed here, in b96. Sort of a quaint little spot with nothing else.. I like it.
VA71: I rode south along the coast, bus stations in the early morning, eating vending machine food in the fluorescent light.
VA72: Stepping out of the bus in Mexico City, I shouldered my knapsack, felt the heat wash over me.
VA73: It was good to be alone, to be nobody for awhile.
IJculdesac01.jpg
IJculdesac01.jpg (291.88 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
The smuggler's plane is here, for the first time. I notice the terrain has been busted up around it, to help get the image of a crash across. It still has the first aid cabinet... inside is a mac10, instead of a barrel-clip AK. Beyond is the side-lane IJ3 streambed, with no Monolith yet... and still, for some reason, with the BioSyn helicopter theme.
IJplane01.bmp
IJplane01.bmp (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6673 times
After that, there is a para fighing with a couple raptors... the various crates and other equipment that used to be found after this spot, is now all gone. Not sure why it was removed. As well the old road trnobjs are still present, but the terrain-road goes on up to the newly placed Harbor fence + crane. Hmm. Sadly the final puzzle in this level can't be completed, as there are no crates as needed to ascend ontop of the crane arm and get over the fence. Ah well. Final note... as Tatu pointed out years ago, there is a single tree model in retail whose instances are all moved the same amount from where they're supposed to be, meaning several are just floating around in space. That is still the case back in b96.

And that's all we have time for today. Tomorrow we'll go through this IJ in TresEd and see what else is here. I must confess, while still nice, this build of Trespasser is less thrilling to explore, since I went through it all years ago and since it's not as ancient build-wise. But, build 99 and 103 have a bit to look at, and can be compared to my memory of the Strategy Guide, so there's that. Until then.

---
To Be Continued
---
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

We're back, in the car again. And um I don't think we were ever in a tree, so. :yum:

Right back at it! So yesterday, we finished the ingame pass of IJ96/97. It's time to dive into TresEd and see what other secrets this level holds.

Ah, I forgot to check underground, when I did that brief TresEd pass. We'll start here. Right under the start spot is a bunch of burned logs:
"Pburntlog01-01"
"Pburntlog00-01"
"Pburntlog00-02"
"Pburntlog01-02"
"Pburntlog00-03"
"Pburntlog01-03"
There's been a theory over the years that the Hunters Camp went here. Possibly inside PH, it would have gone right next to the IJ entrance. I think this is possible, and that it was moved to where we see it in PH by the streambed, because the player was intended to get a nice gun or two there and the level transition would nullify that. Possibly they toyed with the idea of putting the camp at the start of IJ, instead, to fix this gun problem... Aaand possibly, the logs were dragged in from a PH level file and are here accidentally. Ahead of these, there is a buried music trigger which plays "MUSIC - RAPTOR ATTACK #3". Never seen a version of IJ actually start with this level of epicness. Then also buried is a medium tall InGen crate, and a mouthless water canteen. Then there is a music trigger which plays "MUSIC - IJ JUNGLE AMBIENT 2", right after. Hmmm... skipping ahead a bit, still in the buried-department, is an unrotated "Pbenelli-01", and then - get this - an entirely separate version of the pond water, in addition to the one which is there ingame. The ingame one is named "TWAterPuddle-00", while this one is named "WaterIJ0-00" Hmm. They are rather different shapes and the buried one is big. It's also got "AIBoxLake" surrounding it, as well as two small crates and a tinker toy. I swear, the devs were hard set on having a game full of physics puzzles to progress but they couldn't figure out how to make that many different puzzles so they just started placing the puzzle objects around randomly. :lol: Ahead are even MORE of these:
"Ptinkertoy01-01"
"Ptinkertoy00-01"
"Pplywoodsheet1-01"
"Ptinkertoy02-01"
"PStlPlate00-04"
"Pbenelli-02"
Here's another... THIS one, was ingame in b55. Usable, too, but you only needed the second plank.
IJplank01.png
IJplank01.png (231.81 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
And again, "Pribar03-02"... Btw. This thing:

group Trig Amb_13 = {
    int FireCount = -1
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int ActionType = 1
    string Sample = "LOOPFOREST01"
    bool Wrap = false
    bool Merge = false
    bool Split = false
    bool Looped = true
    float MaxVolDistance = 0.900000
}
May not look like much but, very significant. The main ambient loop for the level. In b116, this sound is still called upon sometimes, but points to the same sound file as one of the traditional-format sound names, I forget which one. However, playing with the beta TPAs yesterday, I noticed that this was an entirely new ambient sound loop that AFAIK we don't have in the retail TPA files. I've been wanting new ambient loops for a while, and here one is. Expect it to appear in future mods with additive TPA files, and my youtube channel.

Here's a thing... In IJ116, I remember IJ1 Hammond voiceovers describing the CRAY XMPs, and how he Spared no expense, permitted no failures. In this build of IJ, the his voiceovers are about the early process of the island - how he acquired pattents, what his experience was like to begin the cloning process... Pretty interesting.

Moving on to the Trex... There's this big cube trigger there:

group TrigRexNoStayNear = {
    int AlphaChannel = 0
    int BoundVol = 1
    bool CreatureEnterTrigger = true
    int ActionType = 9
    string Target = "TRexX1000-00"
}
AT9 is for modifying dinosaur AI. This trigger specifies the dino but doesn't make any changes. Either they were removed, or this is another one of those triggers that the devs may have scripted the engine to do something on its own about. Anyway... inside this trigger are two anchor objects: "AnchorRaptorRexFight" and "AnchorRaptorRexRun". They're right next to each other, so it seems unlikely they were both for StayNearTarget. Quite possibly Fight was for StayNear and Run was for StayAway, for some reason being made into two different anchors at about the same spot. Why would the Trex be running away? Or would it have made the raptors run away, and why?

Ah! Ahh! Just realized. Remember how LAB55 had RaptorX and RaptorZ? And TrikeZ... Well, this level has TRexX, as the retail does. ...Well duhh. Just checked - this Trex is called "TRex_m_A" in IJ32, like the naming scheme of the female we've seen the whole time, "TRex_f_A". It's really fascinating that the male was once named this way, too. Even so, it was something-"_A", now it's something-"X". All these years I only interpretted the Raptors having letter-variants, but it seems this was common among others as well. Apparently there's a "Para_A", too. It seems to me, that letter-endings for the dinosaurs were originally for the purpose of general variant-making, considering that sometimes raptors were ended with X and Z. Possibly the letter-variance was a combined matter of PVA's and skin appearance. I could easily see that the three raptor tribes, while a plan in Trespasser since very early, were not actually labeled by the devs as tribe A, B, and C until later in development.. Perhaps as they started to get working dinos, the letters being used for AI distinguishment were used as a seed for creating a naming scheme to differentiate the tribes, since the letters were already being used. Pretty neat.

Somewhat amusing... Despite that "WaterIJ0-00" is buried/unused, "WaterIJ1-00" is the CWaterEntity accompanying the IJ2 waterfall. I'd never really studied the structure of the big rock base model before, it's pretty beautiful. Has a bowl for water to collect in, etc. Huh, so even with beta TPA files, the waterfall sound loop at this spot is just a long beeeeeep. Apparently this sound was referred to as "WATERFALL 2". Is it in a previous-build's ambient.tpa? I'd like to know, perhaps we could use it for variety in modern mods. Oh, remember how previous builds had the PV Ambient music here? Well that trigger is still here, but underground now, along with the tranq rifle. Which, funnily enough, has much more full scripting now. I find it funny that this gun may have been upgraded to start working right, at a time when it was already buried underground, and the devs just kept working... :yum:

Let me see, there are more buried giant underbrush models.. then the gorge. There is an interesting buried thing here... "V_KnockOverPalm00-00". I mean, come on, how many different versions of a moveable dead palm do you need? This is the third I've seen, and then there's the giant immoveable one. And then some which are still standing. Nuts. Anyway this one has a magnet on it called "MagTreeHinge", with a Friction of 5.0.
IJlogpuzzle04.png
IJlogpuzzle04.png (169.49 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
At first I was thinking, maybe this was from a lost intermediate version of the gorge, where it had some sort of palm-knock puzzle to get across something... But no. Tatu has a level where this palm is placed in the earlier lakebed terrain, and it fits perfectly. Apparently it was meant just to be knocked over onto unsuspecting raptors.
Spoiler: show
IJlogpuzzle04.png
IJlogpuzzle04.png (169.49 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Ugh, that errant trnobj, "trnobj_gorgerim04-00", is here still, untextured and unscripted. Big hole in the terrain texture, oh well. Hmmm... There's an oddly-placed CWaterEntity called "WaterIJ3-00" near the end of the gorge. It's not in b116, or b55, despite the naming scheme consistent with older IJ models. Possibly this spot in the gorge was once shaped a little differently, maybe one of our only hints as to older shapes it had.
IJwater01.png
IJwater01.png (350.89 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Yay swamp planks. I remember finding these when the beta first came out. They are in the area which would be the end of the lakebed area, and the walkthrough-intended location of the IJ swamp... Apparently these end up on the slope after the lakebed, if you put them in earlier versions of IJ.

"Pswampplank02-01"
"Pswampplank03-01"
"Pswampplank01-01"
"Pswampplank16-01"
"Pswampplank17-01"
IJplank02.png
IJplank02.png (162.36 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
I find it funny, even as late as b96, they were putting up billboards in areas fully accessible to the player... I mean, even if they had started doing Bakers already, in retail Tres they almost never put it on a mostly-level surface like this. It's almost as if they assumed that there would be invisible walls wherever they wanted them, no priority to make unclimbable terrain. Huh.
IJbillboards01.png
IJbillboards01.png (609.09 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Oh, fun thing. Diehard modders/TresEd-explorers may remember that the ingame model of the Alberto in IJ3 retail, has a different visual shape in TresEd from the pink-outline shape when you select it, due to its ingame model shape not being the same as the basement model shape. Here in b96, this is not the case; this should mean that the b96 alberto has a differently-shapped, rigged dinosaur in the basement for this CAnimal... I wonder if it looks any better or worse.
IJalberto01.png
IJalberto01.png (523.74 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Tatu has just pointed me to a topic that I have no memory of, which apparently addressed this a while back...
https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11363

Under the ground in this area are some scripted AI events, which honestly I don't think Tres has too many of... One of them has this interesting action:

group Action02 = {
        int ActionType = 9
        string Target = "RaptorB300-02"
        string StayNearTarget = "Anchor_WaveTwo-00"
        float StayNearMax = 25.000000
        float StayNearOK = 15.000000
        string StayAwayTarget = "RaptorB300-01"
        float StayAwayMin = 17.500000
        float StayAwayOK = 25.000000
    }
Setting both a StayNearTarget and a StayAwayTarget, I thought I tested that years ago and decided it didn't work... I mean, it might not work even if this trigger is trying to do it, which is still in b116. But it might work. Anyway, I wouldn't attempt it. The AI gets confused enough as it is. Huh... Remember how I said yesterday, that there were two pylon-20's? Well, there are physics for yet another one, after 21, which would assumedly be 22... Since even b116 only goes up to 21 and then has several 21's, I'm guessing they used a pylon-21 here, but for this build-compile, they decided they didn't want duplicate pylons and removed it. Huh. A trigger is in the area, playing "MUSIC - JR GENERAL AMBIENT"... It is slightly buried in the terrain, but still works. Its height is the same as b55, despite that the terrain is now higher. And again, that wood shack is up off the ground, suggesting that at one point it was even HIGHER... I am not sure what caused overall terrain height to change at various times.

Huh okay I just took a step back and realized that there are massive ambient triggers in this build which are covering entirely unpopulated areas. Once again, devs seem to interpret the sphere triggers as actually being the shape of the spheroid meshes being used to represent them, and they are placed next to each other accordingly.. But uh, here's a funny thing:
"Trig Amb_03"

string A00 = "AMB-IJ-A02"
    string A01 = "AMB-JU-B05"
    string A02 = "AMB-PV-A02"
    string A03 = "AMB-IJ-B09"
    string A04 = "AMB-IJ-B02"
    string A05 = "AMB-IJ-A09"
    string A06 = "AMB-IJ-A14"
    string A07 = "AMB-PH-A11"
    string A08 = "AMB-IJ-A12"
    string A09 = "AMB-JU-B11"
    string A10 = "AMB-IJ-A10"
    string A11 = "AMB-JU-A15"
    string A12 = "AMB-IJ-A06"
    string A13 = "AMB-JU-A08"
    string A14 = "AMB-IJ-A08"
    string A15 = "AMB-PH-A09"
"Trig Amb_07"

string A00 = "AMB-IJ-A02"
    string A01 = "AMB-IJ-B09"
    string A02 = "AMB-JU-B05"
    string A03 = "AMB-IJ-B02"
    string A04 = "AMB-PV-A02"
    string A05 = "AMB-IJ-A09"
    string A06 = "AMB-IJ-A14"
    string A07 = "AMB-PH-A11"
    string A08 = "AMB-IJ-A12"
    string A09 = "AMB-JU-B11"
    string A10 = "AMB-IJ-A10"
    string A11 = "AMB-JU-A15"
    string A12 = "AMB-IJ-A06"
    string A13 = "AMB-JU-A08"
    string A14 = "AMB-IJ-A08"
    string A15 = "AMB-PH-A09"
So, it's bad enough that the devs completely threw level-specific bird sound design out the window and threw them all into the mix together... But here are two triggers, next to each other, not even covering any ingame space... and they have tiny specific differences. A00, and A05 - A15 are the same on both, but A01 through A04 are different betweeen the two. Actually, the same sounds but in a different sequence. I mean, what??? So weird.

These power pylons moved around a lot. What could possibly have been so significant about their exact location, that they'd need to be moved like this.. they're going to have dinos bump into them regardless. Anyway, the plane... Remember how the magnets for the propellars are off in b116? I just checked, those locations/orientations are the same as in b96, while the plane itself is in a different spot, heh. Hum... "SAirplanePropLeft01-00" is underground in b96. I suppose from an earlier-build's height. I notice this area doesn't have the cool Hammond voiceovers that b116 has here, talking about the raptor tribes and all that. Duh.. Floating or Sunken? Over ontop of pylon17 is a floating Anne voiceover trigger:
VA82: These can't run more than a half mile more.
Ahh man I forgot about "AllyEncounterPivot", under the middle area of IJ3. The gray box with no script. It's here in b96... Checking now, it's not in any previous build of IJ. Back in the day we had a bunch of theories.. I personally thought this was a super-old object and referred to "Allosaurus", since there's an allo skull model. Others thought it referred to some kind of human "ally" despite that no other game material provides for this. I still think it's about an early allosaurus. I uhh, hmm. This is also the first build with the smuggler's plane. Possibly it was dragged in from a forsaken version of PL, and IS in fact very old.
IJallyencounterpivot01.png
IJallyencounterpivot01.png (167.44 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
And then the level ends. On to the basement!

Again, still no HideMe object. Though, I did notice a spot in IJ1, in this build, where Anne's arm and her gun disappeared if you walked through it... I don't see anything that would cause that. There are other mysterious zones like this in Trespasser... maybe some complex interaction of foliage objs we don't understand. Anyway. That one trigger that plays the "AI TRIGGER TEMP" sound is still here, floating above the basement foliage. Hmm over by the guns... There are two gray boxes - "Box10" and "Box01". Huh there's "Box01" again but it's different this time... Eh-hem. Box10 is more or less under the tranq pistol, while Box01 is under the M14 rifle. What was their purpose? Possibly to show where the ground height would be, if the weapon was held. Hmm. Ah again, the ribars all still have their hold magnets. That circular trashcan model is here, without any ingame instances now.. The hunter skeleton objects have become present here, of course. Hummm...

Soooo. The jeeps. Finally they are in the IJ basement, my favorite place to find them. On the lower left, you see "PHunterJeep00-00" - the proto-version of "PHJeepCrshed00-00", upper left. The newer version has physics. On the upper right is "PHunterJeepSuvy00-00", the proto-version of "PHJeepCrshSuvy00-00". Again, the newer one has physics. The older versions have more complete names and don't include "crashed" in the name. As well, the older versions have those bar things ontop, and don't have an albertosaur bitemark on the roof. On the new ones, "PHJeepCrshSuvy00-00" has dented doors while "PHJeepCrshed00-00" does not. Also, the proto jeeps have these neat little fuel containers on the back. I'm quite a huge fan of the proto-versions, which is why I put them in JPDS and gave them physics. The BioSyn jeep is based on these.
IJjeep03.png
IJjeep03.png (176.67 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Now, there is something a little mysterious, here. First off, it's anyone's guess why the proto-jeeps are here to begin with, since old IJ versions don't have any of this type of jeep. Checking with Tatu, PH32 is the only previous-build level to have one of these jeeps, other than the dark-green JR one that continues to be dark green until b116 heh. The one in PH, "PHJeepCrshSuvy00-00", looks just like the on in IJ96. So by b32, this crashed version of the jeep with the tan textures was available. The dark green JR one, "PHunterJeepCrashed00-00", has yet another name... and, it still has one of the top-bar-things. But, not the fuel tank on back. Its doors are dented, unlike "PHJeepCrshed00-00". So, what exactly happened here? What was the sequence of development on these jeeps? Several possibilities... I suspect the earliest is in fact the dark green jeep, undamaged, as you see below. Then, the following cluster of events has a strange, uncertain sequence: (light tan versions of the textures were made ; a dented version was made for effect ; a Survey Team variant was created ; wheels were not included on the proto-versions ; a tire-less wheel version was made ; tires were included on the regular, non-Survey Team tan crashed jeep). Oof! Then after all this, individual versions of all this variability landed themselves in different levels. As well, the tire vertices were deleted from the non-Survey Team tan crashed jeep by b116 for IJ-only. Pretty narly array here.
JRprevis4.jpg
JRprevis4.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Also! The moveable, top-bar-less version of the white jeep is now accompanied by the regular one and the slide-seat variant, as are found here in b116. The physics, also like in b116, are ingame for the regular one and no-where for the slide-seat one. I had to make those in JPDS lol. To date I've never seen the slide-seat actually work... I'll add that to the to-do for Drac~Test.

Elsewhere, the level now includes both the pale, clean bones and the dirtier old-looking bones. The clean ones, evidently of older inclusion in levels, have a Bronto skull which the other set lacks. The later set has an Allo skull which the earlier one lacks. Interesting, since Allosaurus is said to be an earlier Trespasser design plan for the medium-predator, instead of Albertosaurus. Possibly the model was already lying around before now, or the dev who modeled it got an outdated list of the planned dinosaurs when he sat down to make new bones.
IJbones01.png
IJbones01.png (145.51 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
IJbones02.png
IJbones02.png (113.74 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Moving on to vocal triggers... This is slightly interesting. The full set of vocal cubes is present, minus the Brachio... but the OLD raptor vocal diamond-triggers are ALSO present. I bet the engine uses whichever instance was loaded last. Idk which ones play ingame in this level. Oh I neglected to mention last time but b96 has the final Anne vocal cubes. Close by are the fresh blood splats/streaks... aaand next to these, what do we have? The first CParticles objects 8)

"EffectDirt"
"EffectDefault"
"EffectSpark"

group EffectSpark = {
    string Class = "CParticles"
    int R = 255
    int G = 195
    int B = 63
    bool Solid = false
    group Min = {
        float Threshold = 0.600000
        float Number = 0.000000
        float Velocity = 2.000000
        float Lifespan = 0.250000
        float Size = 0.003000
        float Length = 0.050000
        float Gravity = 0.000000
        float GravityStuck = 0.000000
        float Spread = 90.000000
    }
    group Max = {
        float Threshold = 1.000000
        float Number = 30.000000
        float Velocity = 4.000000
        float Lifespan = 0.350000
        float Size = 0.005000
        float Length = 0.090000
        float Gravity = 0.000000
        float GravityStuck = 0.000000
        float Spread = 30.000000
    }
    string A00 = "Oil Barrel 1"
    string A01 = "Metal Dull 2"
    string A02 = "Pistol"
    string A03 = "Metal Hard 1"
}
This is what's used now, instead of CHitSpang. Not all final levels have these three and many modders probably don't know about them. I included them in the "Import_Base" folder of Shell Generator, in Tres Twilight and Tres Millennium, as a single TPM. I import them into every new level I make as a matter of course, so I don't have to worry about it and so they are sure to show up when you do things like shoot a barrel. I think they're pretty neat.

IJ96 still has "TheSky-00" as its sky object... "Sky_IJ.bmp", old texture name format. Oh, this basement still has the short-scaffold pieces in it, barely used in previous IJ builds. Anyway... Look, look at these trnobjs. Hexagons. What are hexagons doing here? IJ55 and earlier uses large squares for the base terrain. Why switch to hexagons? Those are what the OLD Trespasser uses, they're being quite phased out by this point. Anyway the point of hexagon trnobjs in Tres is to give some of them different textures, and maintain the square-SoundMaterial-area. All these ones in IJ have the same texture. And then there are these little tiny ones that are put ontop of gaps where the chaos-terrain-texture dimension must have been showing, and then they are all at various different rotations to the texture isn't pointing the same way. It's just... it's pointless and sloppy, is what it is.
IJtrnobjs02.png
IJtrnobjs02.png (613.74 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
That's it for IJ96! Pretty nice level, I like it. Encourages me to come back to these original levels for resources in building new ones. Onward, to the earliest build of IT - IT96.

Oye, ingame IT takes foreeeeever. I play the game through before commenting on screenshots. Alright sooo. The... ugh. There are a TON of screenshots, considering this is IT. It's going to make this post way too long, so, I'll save these for tomorrow. Hopefully I remember what happened okay, heh.

Finally before I go, I will share THIS that happened, while I was inside the level...........

---
To Be Continued
---
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome back! To Trespasser: The Ongoing Investigations. Or something like that :lol: Today I'll be going over the adventure I had yesterday in IT, and doing a little bit of TresEd-digging. Again, we're in IT96/97. Let's go.

First up, the sign at the start of Burroughs... is now, outside the town, instead of inside. Hmm. The sign at the church looked exactly the same, so I checked, and those are in fact the only 2 welcome signs in this version, huh.
ITsign01.jpg
ITsign01.jpg (144.21 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
In the intro bunker thing, there are gray boxes on the gun rack, evidently from non-scripted physics boxes that exported wrong... There are a lot of these in IT96, as well as other things grayed out from missing textures, AND lots of things are non-physical including crates and construction trailers. Anyway, the keypad in this room is.. quite high off the ground. Barely possible to hit some of the numbers, I didn't even try very hard and just went to see what the sewer pipe looked like in this version.
ITdoor02.jpg
ITdoor02.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
The bungalows provided various new sights to see, relative to b116 and the Max scenes. This one, for example, now has a fence in front since the Max version:
IThouse01.jpg
IThouse01.jpg (159.02 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Inside, more missing textures...
IThouse02.jpg
IThouse02.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
The way the rooms were populated was interesting. IT96 is absolutely full of gun cabinets, most of which don't have doors... some of which have multiple offset clones of the cabinet right next to each other. They include actual guns in them, which is nice, though the bungalow door moves funny and won't open so you can't really get inside to fetch them. Funny story... When I was in the beta, engine and all, back when we first got it, one of the things that happened to me was, I tried taking a spas out of a gun cabinet... It caused a severe physics glitch, but instead of crashing the game, it teleported both me and the gun to the origin, the 0,0,0 loc underneath IJ just a hop skip and a jump away. This, is surely also where the disappearing stego from JR96 went, while I was playing. Hence why recreations of StegoLand have a deserty appearance, since the 0,0,0 loc is where TestScene goes. Heh.
IThouse03.jpg
IThouse03.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
There are, in IT96, a lot of intersecting objects... This spot here, has a fenced-in trailer area, which is fine by itself but it's ontop of a street-end and has road-blocks sticking into the trailer, heh. And to the right of this image is a hole in the ground for a house foundation, but the foundation for it is off behind it to the west, at a spot where there's no hole in the ground. Makes it clear that things were being moved around a lot as the level was made.
ITconstruction01.jpg
ITconstruction01.jpg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Ah, inside the InGeneral Store, I had some fun... This Raptor paid a visit, and killed me lol. As you can see, there are a couple shelves on the floor left over from the models that the Max scene had, that's a fun remnant. Yeah that's right, Raptors in buildings. There are at least two locations in IT96 where it can happen. Also that red door still has backwards normals, since the Max scene.
ITstore01.jpg
ITstore01.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
...Then THIS happened at the gas station. Tatu already knew about this but *I* didn't. Apparently the car lifter was given a terrain hole to descend into. I just checked... It doesn't have a magnet, so I don't know how it did this... But, basically the lifter fell into the hole, and bounced up and down indefinitely. Heh!
ITgas01.jpg
ITgas01.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Oddly the floor is not visible ingame, due to not being a trnobj.. I had to lift it up in TresEd just to see it:
ITgas02.png
ITgas02.png (383.17 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Inside theeee barracks, I noticed there were a lot of lawn chairs... Apparently that's what the construction workers had available to sit on. Or the wood chair model the devs made was sucked into StegoLand. Or the dev was having an off day when he set this building up and didn't like the orange color of those one chairs. Anyway, one of the rooms had... *duh duh duh*... Physical hockey sticks! I've waited years to see this, didn't know we had them... IIRC I had to make new physics for the model, in JurassicShore.
IThockey01.jpg
IThockey01.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Aaaand even in the earliest actual build of IT that we have, the spacewarp had been activate, erasing... all trace of us...
Itspacewarp01.jpg
Itspacewarp01.jpg (156.9 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Aha, this water under the Ops Center. I've been wanting to check something... "TrnObj_PondBottom0-00"... Yep, it's the same trnobj as is found in TestScene. Which, you may remember me describing earlier, was designed to fit the exact shape of the terrain at that spot, the outline where the CWaterEntity intersects the terrain. It's got a boarder to fit, too, which this IT doesn't have. But why would they pull that out and put it under the Ops Center? Possibly the dev saw it, when adding the level-load trigger for TestScene into IT. That trigger is not present in IT96, but the random gap in the wall physics, where it goes, IS. So, probably he took it out for whoever they were distributing this build to.
ITopscenter01.jpg
ITopscenter01.jpg (99.16 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Huh, as has been identified before, the Edgar Rice Burroughs statue has different hand positions, between here and retail. Here they are sticking up at two different angles, while in retail they're at his side.
ITstatue01.jpg
ITstatue01.jpg (128.27 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
And of course, the cafe painting... In fact, I used this model and its textures, to create (all? I think) subsequent paintings I made for Trespasser. I just added the texture of whatever I wanted the new painting to be, applied it to the canvas faces, and non-uniform scale the mesh to fit the dimensions. So this is in a way The First Painting lol.
ITcafe01.jpg
ITcafe01.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Meanwhile, inside... Why is this seat so much bigger than the others?? X_X It is missing the floor stain texture the others have. In the Max scene, this one is the same scale as the others, and sitting on its side, turned over. In retail, it's just gone. Bizarre.
ITcafe02.jpg
ITcafe02.jpg (171.2 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Aha, back at the Ops Center... the area with the whiteboard, in b116 has no door. In b96 however, we have a door specifically for this spot, labeled LOUNGE. I apparently remembered this in the past, because my Ops Center in TstScnRld (Test Scene Reloaded) has this door. Anyway it's nice to have a door here.
ITopscenter02.jpg
ITopscenter02.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Double toxin rifles... Toe niiice! ...Can I take this? lol I forgot to actually pick one up while playing. Hmm the radio room has no radio in it, yet.
ITopscenter03.jpg
ITopscenter03.jpg (68.51 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Derp! So for those following the creation of Drac~Test and the development of a complex ingame computer... This is important. I had forgotten that Trespasser already had a scripted set-up for a screen to display a matrix of combinations on the same screen, of different buttons being on or off. This is one of the kinds of complexity I was planning for the Trespasser computer. I'll be sure to look at the retail version of this scripting carefully, in case they did bug fixes that aren't here.
ITopscenter05.jpg
ITopscenter05.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Btw... there's even more empty space now, but the Ops Center has some pretty specific designs as far as layout goes, not all of which is clear in purpose from any of the versions we have. I can imagine that when this building was designed, the developer had little notations about what each room could be used for. I'd reeeaaally like to see that, and it's almost definitely something we'll never get our digital hands on.
ITopscenter06.jpg
ITopscenter06.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Aaaand Wu's house, believe it or not, is the other location where you can find an indoor Raptor. (That's, in - door - Raptor, not Indoraptor.) I like that they put a computer tower in his house... It's the only one in IT96, besides -00 in the basement. This build, as was made a big deal of back in the day, has actual decent-poly bathroom fixtures. Like, normal poly. In the retail these were reduced to individual faces mimicking the general shape of fixtures.. it was pretty funny. Also the kitchen, the fridge doors work and are not at an angle but they are buried in the floor, lol.
ITWu01.jpg
ITWu01.jpg (156.52 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Inside the garage, the washer and drier may not technically be openable but they have full interior meshes... Err hmm so. Below is the IT Max scenes' version of the washer/drier. They are empty inside, and their meshes don't even have edges for the doors.
ITWu02.png
ITWu02.png (304.86 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
This is the IT96 version. I've moved the doors out so you can see better. The machines now have interiors, and have separate models for the doors, indicating a plan to make them openable via physics.
ITWu03.png
ITWu03.png (331.38 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
By b116, the door models have been combined with the machines into single meshes. They are self-physical and you can't see inside. Soooo, slightly like the jeep, another strange development timeline. They started out empty-meshed, then plans to make them openable came about while they were still working on the engine. Then they changed their minds again and kept them closed but left the extra faces in, even though they had just spent time removing most of the individual faces from the faucet fixtures. Weeeiiirrrddd. Oh and a final note, the garage door is missing in b96, don't know why. Possibly they took it out from physics issues but then it works in b116.. perhaps there was actually at least one case where physics got better and able to handle things that had previously been removed, allowing for the adding-back of some things like the garage door..
ITWu04.png
ITWu04.png (246.24 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
On to Hammond's House, now without incomplete bolt-action door. First I want to make note of the Mayan statues out front. In the IT Max scene, these models are in a bunch of separate pieces, though without physics. In IT96, various groups of these pieces have been combined together, and given physics, so that the statues fall apart in big chunks. Then again, in IT116, they have been separated into tiny pieces once more... almost the same as the Max scene, except the platform from the blue one has been cloned and placed under the brown one, presumably to make them appear more balanced with respect to each other. Fun switcheroos that took place.
ITHammond01.jpg
ITHammond01.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Theee... Big Dipper in the backyard. I noticed in IT96 that the rocks were all non-standard models. I was like, whaaa... Nice normalmaps, too. Checking now, yes indeed, the rocks there in IT116 are standard ones. In IT96, there... Ahh I'm going to show each version in succession.
ITHammond02.jpg
ITHammond02.jpg (156.51 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Below is the IT Max Scene stones. They don't quite make the Big Dipper at this time... Notably there is both a North Star boulder, and a North Stary KEY boulder. There is, no keycard. This version doesn't have any doors on the room it's supposed to open. Possibly, the devs actually had in mind that the player should touch/move this stone somehow, and THAT would open the door. Pretty amazing IMO.

"P1Stone01-00"
"P1Stone06-00"
"P1StoneNrthStr01-00"
"P1StoneNrthStrKEY01-00"
"P1Stone02-00"
"P1Stone05-00"
"P1Stone03-00"
"P1Stone04-00"
ITbigdipper01.png
ITbigdipper01.png (572.82 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Below here, is the IT96 Big Dipper. It actually looks like the constellation now, has an additional boulder ("P1Stone07-00"), and the keycard is now located beneath the terrain (accessible ingame) at the KEY boulder. What's up with the naming scheme? "P" for Prop instead of "T" for Terrain... and "1"? Why 1? Odd.

"P1Stone05-00"
"P1Stone04-00"
"P1Stone01-00"
"P1Stone03-00"
"P1Stone07-00"
"P1Stone06-00"
"P1StoneNrthStr01-00"
"P1Stone02-00"
"P1StoneNrthStrKEY01-00"
ITbigdipper02.png
ITbigdipper02.png (599.72 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
And, b116 Big Dipper. Looks QUITE similar... The lower-left rock is a little out of place in b116, I think b96 had it right. Then the KEY rock has been removed, I guess to make the puzzle easier. Like that battery under a hollow crate in JPDS~trails that no one could find. xP The stones are a bunch of Plains boulders and a PV rock.

"TPlnsBldrB-03"
"TPlnsBldrA-01"
"TPlnsBldrA-02"
"TPlnsBldrB-04"
"TPVjhrock00-02"
"TPlnsBldrA-03"
"TPlnsBldrB-05"
"TPlnsBldrA-04"
ITbigdipper03.png
ITbigdipper03.png (554.1 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Of course, the the library has all these cool objects you won't find in any other version... Love this stuff. Theee secret compartment has the discette still but it's under the terrain. Thankfully you are able to fish it out ingame if you know where to grab.
ITHammond03.jpg
ITHammond03.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
This build has an interesting way of getting up the crumbled stairs. A handrail in the middle of the hallway. Yeah.. I'm quite sure this was done so that whoever received this beta of the game would be able to play it successfully.
ITHammond04.jpg
ITHammond04.jpg (130.26 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
The map! The map TABLE. Pretty nice. We never got to see what buttons these gray boxes would have turned into, had the devs kept with the table idea. I prefer the table, since you can walk around, crouch and see the height of the different parts of the island. Way cooler. I noticed the texture didn't animate in this version. The model has none scripted, either. But I love these little house things... Cute.
ITHammond05.jpg
ITHammond05.jpg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Aaaaand his desk. You see here, the floating discette... It is in fact frozen there. I was waving it around in my hand near the disc drive, when suddenly my hand stopped moving. Huh? I let go of the disc and my hand retracted, but the disc remained. Kinda neat version I guess, tho a little funny-looking. Also I didn't hear any Hammond audio. Checking in TresEd, there isn't any. Ah well.
ITHammond06.jpg
ITHammond06.jpg (130.89 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
On into the "new" Plains... I posted the Para Parade yesterday. Theeee dam itself... the control building's lever moved but did nothing. As I thought I saw, the left floodgate door is open the entire time... There are triggers by the doors to try and make them stop swinging, and a trigger for the lever, but it appears that the dev couldn't get it to work and so just left the door open. There are magnet-stop triggers for the closed position and for the open position, not sure why that is. Anyway, typical Tres... in b116, the magnets are still there to keep the doors from moving, but all the lever trigger does is teleport one of the doors into an open position. Amusing. :? Meanwhile there's this funky thing on the floor... What's it called? "Ppanel00-00", textured with "Sceilingtile00t2.bmp". Heh, the model is a Prop but the texture is a Structure, lol. Anyway these aren't in retail.
ITdam01.jpg
ITdam01.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
This crate is on the ground in front of the floodgate... Non-tangible, but anyway, I'm curious about its angle. When would this have matched terrain in front of the dam?
ITdam02.jpg
ITdam02.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Finally, inside!... Aaaaand there's no Harold Greenwood. Sadface :cry:
ITdam03.jpg
ITdam03.jpg (55.08 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Aaaand shortly after was the end of my IT96 expedition, yesterday. You know I have time for more but, again, this post is too big, so I better cut this tour short, add in the Jungle River Cruise tomorrow where we left off. 8)

---
To Be Continued
---