Trespasser Twilight/ATX screen issue

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Trespasser Twilight/ATX screen issue

Post by RavingRaptor »

I noticed that I am an idiot, I have multiple CE and Twilight folders and the one I was using to test dgVoodoo had "EnableNewMenuItems=" disabled, that was why the menu options weren't there.

Hey machf, what is TNFS SE?

Also when running Twilight/ATX with dgVoodoo it seems a lot more stable, I had to really crank up the draw distance and do 360° camera movements for it to crash.
And mouse flickering in-game can be removed, just have to turn off "mouse capture" in dgVoodoo configuration program. Watermarks can also be removed there.

By the way, does anyone know why vanilla Tres levels don't work on Twilight?

Edit:
Just noticed that the HUD in Twilight don't seem to work when using dgVoodoo, to enable HUD all you have to do is change from 0 to 1 in atx config ini right?
Also Map function and third person mode don't work for me.

Binds should be?
M = Map
H = Hud
3 = Third person mode
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Also when running Twilight/ATX with dgVoodoo it seems a lot more stable, I had to really crank up the draw distance and do 360° camera movements for it to crash.
I would guess dgVoodoo somehow take advantage of DX somehow. Kinda like CE works. It adds DX9 support which is more stable and take care of most performance things.
By the way, does anyone know why vanilla Tres levels don't work on Twilight?
It should work, there is no reason not to. The levels need to be in the /data folder though.
Just noticed that the HUD in Twilight don't seem to work when using dgVoodoo, to enable HUD all you have to do is change from 0 to 1 in atx config ini right?
Also Map function and third person mode don't work for me.
I haven't used ATX is ages. Does they work if you use the correspondent cheat for them?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

RavingRaptor wrote: Hey machf, what is TNFS SE?
The Need for Speed Special Edition. It didn't work, but I found another app with which it did.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Yea I copied the cd data folder to my Twilight data folder, but all .swp files were missing that's why original levels wouldn't load so now they work.

What would the cheat's be for HUD and such?
Didn't know one could activate them in that way.

Ahhh Need for Speed!
Did you use narzoul's DDrawCompat to get it to work?

Edit:
Sometimes I am really stupid, was trying Map and third person mode on JPDS. There are no map.bmp's and I guess third person mode has been disabled.
Oh and I get what you mean with the cheats, MAP for map and HUD for HUD.

Still the HUD won't work for me though.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Sometimes I am really stupid, was trying Map and third person mode on JPDS. There are no map.bmp's and I guess third person mode has been disabled.
JPDS does have a map, but Draco somehow scripted it so you gotta find the map in-game before it works IIRC. It is pretty cool.
As for third person. It should work on JPDS. JPDS doesn't modify ATX in any way to remove anything.
Still the HUD won't work for me though.
Weird. JPDS have it set to the "h" binding. Unsure why it don't work.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glad you got some of that figured out. Tatu is correct on various things.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

RavingRaptor wrote: Ahhh Need for Speed!
Did you use narzoul's DDrawCompat to get it to work?
No, DXWnd. That finally allowed me to play the Windows version and not just the DOS one.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

Ahh okay I was some time ago since I played JPDS so I didn't remember if it had maps implemented.
Also I didn't mean it lacked the map.bmp's it was MapIndex.ini that wasn't configured, probably because of the map function being scripted like you said.

And THIRDP worked in JPDS but not pressing 3 to get into third person mode, at least for me.

But no matter if i run JPDS, ATX patch or Twilight the HUD don't want to work no matter what I do.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Crap. I uh, can't remember if Lee released a basic HUD script for CE, that could be quickly modded to use JPDS's images? If you wanted to go that road..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Crap. I uh, can't remember if Lee released a basic HUD script for CE, that could be quickly modded to use JPDS's images? If you wanted to go that road..
They did. The example is in the CE download.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote: 5.- set your resolution to 800*600 as that's the maximum that's allowed by default with the original executables
6.- NOW you can add Tres CE or ATX and tweak their .ini files
7.- and also tweak the demo's tpass.ini file to adjust the screen resolution, Max Recommended Tex Dim, Z Buffer Bitdepth and other parameters
8.- after this, you can install the retail Trespasser and use Tres CE configured so that it will use a tpass.ini file instead of the registry, and just copy all the .ini files from the demo folder to the retail folder
So I am chatting with the folks on the OpenTrespasser Discord, who are modifying the source code. The guy talking right now says he's been unable to get the engine to recognize the tpass.ini file, to use instead of a registry. In fact he says nothing in the entire source seems to make reference to INI files of any kind. Advice...?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just change the code so that the values are read from/written to the tpass.ini file instead of the Windows registry...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Advice...?
Don't hijack someone else topic about another issue and make a new one instead, or use something like https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=9215 for example. ;)

RavingRaptor
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by RavingRaptor »

I looked up DxWnd and thought it would be interesting to try Trespasser with it.
So i hooked Twilight to DxWnd and started it, everything seems fine, loaded vanilla BE level, still everything looks good.
Then I get up to the foundations and... Well textures/items like the wooden boxes and the barrels are not displaying properly, they are stretched out over the whole screen.

One the plus side the HUD, maps, third person mode, fps counter and coordinates functions work properly.
Attachments
TresDxWnd.jpg
TresDxWnd.jpg (173.43 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
Last edited by RavingRaptor on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatu

Post by tatu »

You might wanna play around with the DxWnd settings, as it might have a fix somewhere. :)