Trespasser and Jurassic Park III

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Which year did you play Trespasser the first time?

You may select 1 option

View results

Trespasser2020
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser and Jurassic Park III

Post by Trespasser2020 »

Dear Trespassers,

I know it's unbelievable but I the first time I watched first three the Jurassic Park films had been last week and I'm in my third decade (of my life). Somehow I found out about Trespasser on the web (old review articles, etc.) and managed to "acquire" it (although not in a 100% legal way I'm afraid but if I can find a box copy anywhere I will buy it instantly).

I completed the game and can only say that I loved it very much. The idea of it, the immersive world, the challenging puzzles and the narration by those fantastic voice actors are the best features in my opinion. It is my very first first-person shooter I played in my life as well and I know next to nothing about firearms but it didn't retract anything from the experience, I could roleplay in a way that Anne didn't know anything about them as well.

The reason for this post (aside from me venting some of my new fanboyish enthusiasm out to you) is that in the Jurassic Park III film which was released 3 years after Trespasser I found the basic idea is very similar to Trespasser's. A group crashes on the island. Only the tail survives in the crash. They have to survive the dinosaur attacks and rescued after calling for help via technology. Wonder if the filmmakers were Trespasser fans as well… ;)

I'm also very curious which year did you first play Trespasser so I attached a little poll to this post. And if there is a similar poll on this site please give me the link for that.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser and Jurassic Park III

Post by tatu »

Welcome to Trescom!

Very happy to hear you enjoyed the game. Even after 15 years since I joined this community I still very much enjoy it. I hope you will enjoy it here and feel free to check out all the fan made contents we have in our download section, as well as some of the earlier Trespasser builds: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 20&t=10959 :)

Who knows? Steven Spielberg was involved with Trespasser and I know at least one dev did some concept art for Jurassic Park III. I really do enjoy JP3. I should rewatch it one of these days!

I first played Trespasser back in 2001 when I was 9 years old. I got a copy from a friend and I remember parts of it very fondly. I remember reaching Jungle Road (The second level) and was so happy when I found a new gun that was not in the first level. I remember in the Town I never figured out the keycard locations (specially the white one) so I used crates to jump over the wall towards the Dam. While I am unsure which of my memories are of my first playthrough, I do have some very fond ones from when I played it the first times, before I found TresCom and the TresEd tool to dig through the levels finding every detail. :D

I don't think we have a poll of this already but we do have a topic of when people first played the game. But I don't mind a new one. It will allow people to refresh their memory and tell it again! :)

Otherwise: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11256 and another one that I can't find at the moment.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, Tres2020!

I also thought JP/// was quite Trespasser-like. In particular, the way Eric chucks a human skull at a baby Pteranodon, just as if it were a Tres skull (same color too). And the importance of ruined buildings, etc. I may not appreciate the plot of JP/// too much but its individual elements are great.

Welcome to the forum and do avail yourself of some custom levels when you have the chance 8) Hell, ask and we can help you learn how to mod the game too..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Welcome to the site! :)

Found the game around 2007, finally bought it in 2008, been modding since 2009. I wish I'd found it way earlier, though - back when JP3 came out, four-year-old me would have LOVED this game so much. I had almost every JP game growning up, from the old SNES game to Operation Genesis, and was blown away when I first discovered this as it was the sole JP game I'd never heard of.
Personally, as someone who was watching JP from around the time I could walk, I find it amazing that anyone could only just have discovered the movies!

This is just my opinion, but it seems a lot of the things that Tres and JP3 have in common are coincidental. Although there are definitely some similarities...spotting those power lines (although they're obviously not visible intentionally) during the opening fly-through scene really got me thinking.
I may not appreciate the plot of JP/// too much
I didn't realize there was a plot...
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I think I've said it somewhere before, but my first time playing Trespasser was during the 1998 holiday season, I either got it for Christmas or my birthday. (my birthday is one week before Christmas.) I didn't even know it was a Jurassic Park game at first because the TWL:JP logo is so small on the box and a violent FPS game seemed off-brand. My computer at the time could barely run it; it kept crashing and it was so laggy, but I still loved it, I had never seen such an immersive game with no HUD and an impressive physics engine. I got stuck on IT for months, I couldn't figure out where the keycards were.

I wouldn't be surprised if JP3 was influenced by Trespasser, it seems to be a very influential game in general, for better or worse. That being said, I've always loved JP3, it's a fun movie and while it might objectively be one of the worst in the series, it's still miles better than any other dinosaur movie I've seen outside the Jurassic franchise.