Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Hunter's camp & Lab complex in Source engine

Post by Double_G »

nice :) how far are you planning on taking this? have you considered doing other levels, like let's say Pine Valley with fully functioning geothermal power plant? :D
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Double_G wrote:nice :) how far are you planning on taking this? have you considered doing other levels, like let's say Pine Valley with fully functioning geothermal power plant? :D
Pine valley would be pretty much the cherry on the top, but unfortunately Source 1 simply cannot handle that massive level (which is why i originally picked one area from the lab level, lab complex valley).

However some things from pine valley have been added / will be added to the worker village. Movie's version of the geothermal power plant is missing things, such as transformers and power grids.
Those have been added next to the plant. Raptor nest in pine valley is basically Trespasser version of the bone yard (the amount of hunter remains in there further suggests this), and same amount of remains will be added to the long grass field (13 have been added by now), few might be placed into the bone yard too.

I probably won't add a puzzle (Trespasser's devs already were traumatized by theirs), however the plant can be turned back online similar way as seen in the movie.
One thing i noticed in the movie was, that the plant didn't seemingly make any sounds when it was on. That is somewhat sorted out now.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey man, that Worker Village is lookin awesome. 8) Few inaccuracies but still nice. That geo tower for example is way too boxy, IIRC, I believe the water tower is not quite right either. Theeee metal structure above the metal dome is also supposed to be somewhat apple-shaped, not cylindrical. As TI mentioned, I would use hppav's town level for reference on accuracy, as hppav spent hours gathering reference for the area. Which, btw, does someone have the link to it? *eeerp* Here I believe this is the right one: https://www.trescom.org/download/downlo ... avTown.zip

Also wanted to say, I believe this is the first time I've seen someone recreate the actual boneyard outside the town, as well as hunter corpses with the nearby longgrass. Gets my vote :!:
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Draconisaurus wrote: That geo tower for example is way too boxy
Kiln house?
Draconisaurus wrote: I believe the water tower is not quite right either.
Stock model, which i've been using till i get a better one. Will likely construct it with the editor, seeing that i suck at actual modeling.
Draconisaurus wrote: Theeee metal structure above the metal dome is also supposed to be somewhat apple-shaped, not cylindrical.
Editor's grid system didn't stretch that far, so i had to use more straight forward shape.
Draconisaurus wrote: As TI mentioned, I would use hppav's town level for reference on accuracy, as hppav spent hours gathering reference for the area.
Which, while being nice and awesome, feels like a slap in my face in a form of suggesting, that i haven't done research. :(
Thanks regardless. :)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

killer89 wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote: As TI mentioned, I would use hppav's town level for reference on accuracy, as hppav spent hours gathering reference for the area.
Which, while being nice and awesome, feels like a slap in my face in a form of suggesting, that i haven't done research. :(
Neither Draco nor I said anything about you not doing research. I simply said that I don't think that area looks right, and that I know of a good reference for it which could help you make the level more accurate. We're only trying to help.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

TheIdiot wrote:
killer89 wrote:
Neither Draco nor I said anything about you not doing research. I simply said that I don't think that area looks right, and that I know of a good reference for it which could help you make the level more accurate. We're only trying to help.
And i do value that.

It's just not exactly very easy to take that kind of feedback (even when the genuinely good intentions pretty much shine through it), when the majority of feedback you have taken during years have been between "you should have taken assignment X instead of Y, as you aren't bright enough for assignment Y" and "you would die, if you would work".

Back on topic, i've been working on the building between kiln house and boarding house with Deadeye and Tatu. According to script and call sheet it's a lab.

The building's interiors are only briefly seen, and Tatu has been chewing and analyzing the scene. So far the part seen in the movie is building up, and also the falling light fixture is mostly implemented (minus the support cables for now). Also the building is bigger than what is seen in the movie: It goes at least to the other end of kiln house and seemingly even a little bit behind the boarding house.

And.. Thanks again for the help. It does mean a lot. I mean it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, I understand better now that the inaccuracies we pointed out are in part due to the limited assets you're working with, so, there's that. Also my final note on research - hppav put everyone else I've ever met to shame when it comes to researching Jurassic materials. So, it means very little to say any particular person didn't do as much as the one who did the most out of all time. :yum: Keep it up.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

man this is looking so good. nice attention to detail too
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Looking good 8)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Do keep it up. When might Ops Center interiors be worked on? Can't remember if you've shown shots from that.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Lab complex -wip-

Been upscaling the original textures with gigapixel, which is superior to waifu2x, however it's time limited with 30 day trial.

Also stumbled on site, http://www.gaming-models.de/index.php/, which provides some fancy props.

tatu

Post by tatu »

Looking goooood!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Holy shit man. At this forum 10-15 years ago this would have gotten severely drooling from this forum, I want you to know that.

While you're at it... Why not make the communication console that Nick uses screen-accurate? Aaaand... also, why not put 3 CRAYs in the comp building? Like Hammond says, and like in JP the Michael Crichton novel. :nerd:
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:While you're at it... Why not make the communication console that Nick uses screen-accurate? Aaaand... also, why not put 3 CRAYs in the comp building? Like Hammond says, and like in JP the Michael Crichton novel. :nerd:
There is already 3 Cray's in the room ;)