Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Jurassic Life "The Valley" Contest

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey neat, a contest! Sucks that TI has decided not to make an entry. I feel like he's the only one here who might be able to make a full entry for the contest as lined out in the specs; I don't currently use Max and may not get back to it. :? I have a vague idea of plotting out some basic parts in a map but I don't think I'll do it because the extent to which I'd devote time to it would result in something essentially no better than a combination of the original map and the heightmap TI has drawn, which I note could be used for the Jurassic Life material. 'Nyways, thanks for thinking of us seriously enough to offer a contest! Good luck to the team.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

As the deadline is January, I am gonna take a go on this. Even if it won't end up perfect. Remember how Mickey did "The Hunt" in only ONE week, so you could do something neat and basic still. And of course, add puzzles that would be difficult to do in source. ;) ;) ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

So I have a much better look at what I want people to tackle on the Contest. Taurus of the JL team re-edited my rough drawing to better match the JL map design. (Only map the light green area, dark green is representative of the transition map)

Using TheIdiot's heightmap and some assets from some maps, I made a rough concept. If you could improve on this concept with your own creation, please do. (By the way, please place the maintenance shed east and the Radio tower west, per taurus wishes).

tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh nice! That will help out a bit of what you vision with the level. Thanks!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

Question about the heightmap TI: When importing it into TresEd, what settings do you recommend with the size and import scale?

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:Question about the heightmap TI: When importing it into TresEd, what settings do you recommend with the size and import scale?
It all depends on what size you're going for. I can't remember what settings I used. I believe the original was a 1024x map...pretty sure I intended it to be about half the size of a retail level. You'll want to fix the river first, though...it needs to be raised a LOT so that the mountains are much taller. I'd probably go with 1.0 import scale once the river is fixed, otherwise the river will be super deep and the mountains too low. Had I not deleted the .xcf, I would have made the mountains very tall and the river very shallow as I wanted it to look like it was taking place deep in a valley between some classic Hawaiian mountains (by the way, I was also going to use my skybox from MegaJungle in order to include the skybox mountains as well).
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
tatu wrote:Question about the heightmap TI: When importing it into TresEd, what settings do you recommend with the size and import scale?
It all depends on what size you're going for. I can't remember what settings I used. I believe the original was a 1024x map...pretty sure I intended it to be about half the size of a retail level. You'll want to fix the river first, though...it needs to be raised a LOT so that the mountains are much taller. I'd probably go with 1.0 import scale once the river is fixed, otherwise the river will be super deep and the mountains too low. Had I not deleted the .xcf, I would have made the mountains very tall and the river very shallow as I wanted it to look like it was taking place deep in a valley between some classic Hawaiian mountains (by the way, I was also going to use my skybox from MegaJungle in order to include the skybox mountains as well).
Thanks! I plan on editing the terrain anyway as the mountains are way to high detail when imported into a terrain. Oh nice. I might borrow that idea, with added credits of course. I am gonna use my foliage skills for this contest. ;P
Thanks again!

TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

tatu

Post by tatu »

For anyone who uses TheIdiot's heightmap as a base - You need to do some time consuming terrain work on it. Mainly to reduce the overall terrain quads it has. While it doesn't result in lag in-game, you will probably get some bad terrain bugs :P :

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heh this stuff looks great guys, keep it up... You know, I had a plan for compies in the Util Shed model for "Escape from Jurassic Park", that looks fun. Anyway on terrain, I figured out some time ago that the way to reduce imported terrain detail is to shrink the size of the import BMP beforehand. You'll get the same shape but way fewer quads - seriously, try it. 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

My terrain is looking 100% as intended, tatu. I thought this level should take place in another dimension made up entirely of non-euclidean geometry. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm non-euclid geometry...

tatu

Post by tatu »

Lmao!

tatu

Post by tatu »

I know the deadline is in just a week's time, but I have to withdraw from the contest. I've done a bit of work but I just haven't been in much Trespasser modding mood to put the hours in. Maybe it there were a few more month I would've finish it (maybe I finish it in the future). I really do like TI's heightmap.

Here is what I've done, for anyone interested: https://www.mediafire.com/file/njtb6xuw ... se.7z/file
It should be playable in CE, though I have not fixed the terrain palette. Enjoy!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh that was pretty neat. Nice to see JPDS's JP/// female raptors, and the util shed... and Rebel's thingy from _rescue. Am unclear what parts are yet to be added. Also what's up with the odd patchy yellow-gray terrain texture?