Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Jurassic Life "The Valley" Contest

Post by TheKritter71 »

Hello! I am Lord Krit or known on here for years as "Thekritter71". Today I have a special announcement, as a developer, I've been recently hired onto the Jurassic Life team and been mainly at the center of concept and recruitment. Well, we started working on developing a new map campaign called "The Valley". The Valley is a map that happens after the Raptor Pen when you go east into the woods. What is the Valley? The Valley is a planned map intended to take the player (Robert Muldoon) to find Ray Arnold, who had gone missing to turn on the power. Unlike in the movie, where the shed is close by, Jurassic Life takes liberties just as Trespasser took liberties with Isla Sorna. Much of the movie locations have been changed, as well as geography. The maintenance shed is no longer located close to the Raptor Pen but rather at the end of the dense forest that is the Valley. In the Valley is three key places, an electrical bridge over a river crevice (with an office needed to turn on the bridge), the Radio Tower, and the Shed itself along with a backway near the Radio Tower. The goal of this contest is to concept the map in Trespasser to the closest of my vision as possible. You will be helping create a template for the JL devs and I! The winner of the contest will receive...

- A special credit in the JL credits!

- A first-hand look at the mod itself (with permission from the lead developers)

- First-hand privileges (receive a demo before anyone else, be able to playtest when V1 is nearing release)

- and much more!

Runner-ups will receive recognition as well!

RULES
The map must be a decent length and not very insanely large.
Imagine puzzles and ways that could engage the player.
You must use Isla Nublar construction, please see about using hppav's Nublar pack,

THE DEADLINE FOR THE CONTEST IS JANUARY 1ST

Here is the current blueprints for the map, there will be an in-depth imaginary tutorial later on!

Last edited by TheKritter71 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Jurassic Life "The Valley" Contest

Post by tatu »

Ohhh interesting. It's been a while since we had any contest. And already having an "overview" of how the map should look might get more people into it.

The only thing I would say can not work, from what I can tell by the map is the player using a car nor anything on the river, at least not in Trespasser's engine.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

People can place a wrangler jeep in the parkway of radio tower for looks.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No terrain heightmap to use as a basic starting point?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

This looks pretty fun and I'm willing to join but when's the deadline for this contest?

EDIT: Oh also will we be given a base template level to work in or will we have to create one all from scratch?
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

You need to create your own terrain map. All you need to know is the road hill the player starts at and there is a river crevice on the far right side of the map start point. (I'm not TresEd savvy so I wouldn't know!) The deadline for the contest is January 1st
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I might have to give this one a shot...nothing I love more than some Nublar mapping. Might be a chance to demo some RTJP assets as well, though I am eager to see what people come up with for the shed as we don't have a fully-fledged model of it yet - hppav would have destroyed us all at this one. :P
tatu wrote: The only thing I would say can not work, from what I can tell by the map is the player using a car nor anything on the river, at least not in Trespasser's engine.
Well, all I can say is that TresCom, uh...finds a way. :wink:
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

TheIdiot wrote:I might have to give this one a shot...nothing I love more than some Nublar mapping. Might be a chance to demo some RTJP assets as well, though I am eager to see what people come up with for the shed as we don't have a fully-fledged model of it yet - hppav would have destroyed us all at this one. :P

No need to show inside the shed, just shed exterior with the fencing. We have the interior of the shed all mapped out for later on.
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

This is very interesting to me, as I've long moved on from Trespasser modding into Source modding; I've been planning to remake Trespasser as a fan campaign for Jurassic Life since I heard of it! If you're looking for somebody to add to the team, hit me up and we can talk! :)
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I'm too busy to enter this contest, but I look forward to playing other peoples' entries. :yes:
TheKritter71 wrote:You must use Isla Nublar construction, please see about using hppav's Nublar pack,
Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure hppav released a test level with all the variants of the Jeeps a while ago, but I can't find it, I'm only finding test levels with the Ford Explorers. If anyone could point ime in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Nick3069 wrote:
TheKritter71 wrote:You must use Isla Nublar construction, please see about using hppav's Nublar pack,
Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure hppav released a test level with all the variants of the Jeeps a while ago, but I can't find it, I'm only finding test levels with the Ford Explorers. If anyone could point ime in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
I've only ever seen pictures of the Jeep variants, as far as I know he never released them...
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

Yeah I asked him about his Nublar assets, and sadly he said most of them were lost to HDD failure. Might be a bit tough to design without Nublar assets, unfortunately.
tatu

Post by tatu »

For the Jeep, you can just use the one from East Dock. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

jetblack wrote:Yeah I asked him about his Nublar assets, and sadly he said most of them were lost to HDD failure. Might be a bit tough to design without Nublar assets, unfortunately.
You're welcome to use other assets, maybe borrow from East Dock or RTJP old versions (ask TheIdiot on that). There was an area inspired by the JPDS that I did feel we should add-in (the blue shed from JPDS streams for the Radio tower, with the fence). You can do whatever you wish with whatever you have, as long as it's fine (you could even put placeholders)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alright, so due to the already large amount of work I have piled up, I won't have time to participate in the contest unfortunately. I did actually get as far as a rough heightmap for the level, which I planned to import to Tres and then edit further there. Unfortunately I somehow lost the master file, which prevented me from fixing some of the issues with the map (namely, the river being way, waaay too deep and the large caldera in the southern mountains being too short), but I will share the heightmap for others to use. You'll have to import it to TresEd, export the terrain, then re-export it from 3DS Max and finally re-import it via GUIApp in order to get it working properly. If you use it, feel free to edit out the little watermark at the bottom in TresEd...I actually meant to remove it myself before I lost the master.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Some small points: I'd intended on using my border terrain object from the Anniversary Level/MegaJungle around the level to make it feel much larger. Also, the fence on the western side of the map is supposed to continue up between the mountains so it feels like it's part of a bigger paddock - you can see the small gaps I left for it to the north and south. There are a series of small rivers throughout the map as well, intended more to act as a guide for the player than to obstruct their path. You can see that the smaller rivers join up and enter a lower-height section, which I was going to make into a gorge which the player could climb down into and then climb out of again in a few different places (the gorge would have included a pack of compies). The main river would have ended in the south with a tunnel leading into a waterworks or something JP-ish...it ends at a mountain as I'd intended to cut it out as a terrain "cover" object to allow for the tunnel. You aren't supposed to be able to exit the level through the pass in the north as it would have been blocked off.
TheKritter71 wrote:
jetblack wrote:Yeah I asked him about his Nublar assets, and sadly he said most of them were lost to HDD failure. Might be a bit tough to design without Nublar assets, unfortunately.
You're welcome to use other assets, maybe borrow from East Dock or RTJP old versions (ask TheIdiot on that). There was an area inspired by the JPDS that I did feel we should add-in (the blue shed from JPDS streams for the Radio tower, with the fence). You can do whatever you wish with whatever you have, as long as it's fine (you could even put placeholders)
All the assets from the older RTJP versions are available for use in whatever Trespasser-related stuff you want. There's a fair bit of potentially useful stuff in the last version I released, but a lot of the textures were designed with a weathered look, so you'd have to retexture them to match up with a clean Jurassic Park.