tc_prequel_ (see TRESCOM_ANTHOLOGY THREAD FOR DOWNLOADS)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: New Project

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:
Just curious what you did to reduce the polycount, Rebel? I know the split-tracks were over the limit but I couldn't do much more to simplify them, from what I remember.
Mainly, dumbing down the railroad ties, T.I. Your ties were 36 faces, whereas I replaced them with a simple 8 face box count. I also omitted a tiedown here and there. As you can see by the screenshot, the changes aren't really noticeable. I think your straight track was around 1092 faces, I managed to double the length of that track and stay around 880 (or something like that). The split track I did not use; I used a combination of the curve track and another one with a hidden texture applied so only the rails show. Both the latter are around 600 faces.
Aah, okay, I see now...those rails were deliberately made overly-detailed so they'd match with the rest of my stuff. I'm glad you found use for them in their simplified form, though. :)
I don't have much energy after working today, but I managed the small cement mixer shown below. I just couldn't bring myself to using the retail's mixer model. But, the 2nd image's color scheme doesn't match the other equipment around that area so I'm more likely to use the texturing shown on the mixer_2 image -
I definitely prefer mixer_2. The first one looks a little bit too...red. Still, I like the look of them both - could see the red one fitting into a less-weathered setting, perhaps.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lookin' great as always Reb. Though, my eyes are still hungry to see all these areas fleshed out with foliage...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

HidiHo, people. An early (and I mean, early) alpha release of tc_prequel can be downloaded from the link below. The hurdle of the first part of this level is to breach the compound gates. As far as danger, unless you decide to harass our amphibian friend, you're fairly safe, although I do suggest while descending the damn you take one rung at a time.
Like I stated, this is an early alpha, but the level is so large and complex, releasing it in alpha stages seems appropriate. There is currently no walkthrough, but I'm certain y'all can figure it out. Thanks to Draco, machf, tatu and TheIdiot for their contributions and feedback, and thanks to TrespasserGuy's level I didn't need to remake track models that T.I. had already made.

*Curent screen resolution was set for my use (1440 x 900). If you need to change that, you'll find the width/height values inside the tpass.ini file.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/e2k8jcmg ... 26.7z/file
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: tc_prequel_ alpha 1 released

Post by TrespasserGuy »

I took a look into this level last Sunday when it came out but I haven't had time to write an in depth review of it, but for now I must say that this level looks very promising so far, and captures the essence of the previous TC levels pretty well.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooo I went through this level a bit just now... One odd thing is that the fly cheat would not work. Thankfully some TNEXT triggers were in place and I could explore *some* of the locations. However, I want to start off my review by reitterating that this level is full of a whole lot of nothing, with interesting locations sprinkled here and there. You find yourself in mostly flat, sparse forest without being able to get any sense of location or direction, then run into endless fences or never-ending water- or water-less gorges that go on forever. Frequently the player must trudge through vast areas where there's nothing to see or do. It looks much less intimidating in TresEd but ingame it makes me stop exploring. I'm not sure how interested you'd be in cutting down on the terrain area, moving the various locations together, and vastly reducing the fog density, but that could be a thing.

For the explorable locations that were more developed, I like them. Your modeling and texturing skills are as good as what TC_Isle originally featuered, IMO. I like exploring them. Wish there was a way to get to the rig up beyond the dam. Also I didn't see where my raft model ended up, heh. As well, I couldn't find the key to the bulldozer this time, ah well. Your level has a lot of great stuff to work with, I just feel like it's incredibly boring to navigate the desolation between locations, as it is now.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, the areas beyond the fencing and the compound walls are undeveloped atm, Drac. I have plans for all those areas, but right now, no, there's nothing much there. As far as which direction to go, most would go out into the direction that the plane is pointing. You can get to the rig behind the dam, you just need to solve a simple puzzle to get the tram up n' running. Your raft is out there btw, in that mooring area of the rig. The item you pick up there is tied into the little detective work needed to figure out where the dozer key is -

Anyways, thanks for looking at it. There seems to be very little interest in the particular project, so I may just say the hell with it altogether.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, the areas beyond the fencing and the compound walls are undeveloped atm, Drac. I have plans for all those areas, but right now, no, there's nothing much there. As far as which direction to go, most would go out into the direction that the plane is pointing. You can get to the rig behind the dam, you just need to solve a simple puzzle to get the tram up n' running. Your raft is out there btw, in that mooring area of the rig. The item you pick up there is tied into the little detective work needed to figure out where the dozer key is -

Anyways, thanks for looking at it. There seems to be very little interest in the particular project, so I may just say the hell with it altogether.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote: Anyways, thanks for looking at it. There seems to be very little interest in the particular project, so I may just say the hell with it altogether.
Don't do the project for others, but yourself. It is the forum, we are very few who are active here. I do know more people visit the front page. If you want I can put it up this weekend there? ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Nah, don't do that, tatu. I appreciate the offer, but an early alpha doesn't warrant that type of attention.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The level looks awesome so far, Rebel. It fits perfectly in with the original TC levels, too. As usual, all of the puzzles are excellent, and there are so many cool new things to see in each area. The sheer amount of new models and locations is enough for me. I'll save the lengthy review for a final release, though, but I must say the level is already very promising.

I must say that I disagree with Draco about the amount of emptieness. I feel like the pacing is just right - there's a little bit of trekking between locations, but for me it helps to create a sense of scale and exploration. Perhaps if travel time becomes a problem, you could look into using the Anne speed boost script Lee made for CE. You could also throw in a few more dinosaurs here and there, like in the original TC level and TC Isle where there were very few dinosaurs, but enough to keep you on your toes.

I would like to suggest thinning the fog out a LOT though, as while I didn't get lost, I would have liked to have been able to make out some landmarks in the distance to head towards rather than just wander around in the fog until something suddenly appears. Check out the view from the first small dam to the big dam in TresEd with fog enabled - the dam is just visible at the edge of the fog. That's the sort of thing I picture for the in-game atmosphere - foggy, but not so much that you can't see where you're going, just enough to make things feel mysterious.
Rebel wrote:There seems to be very little interest in the particular project, so I may just say the hell with it altogether.
I'm with tatu on this one, do it for yourself (and the rest of our little group here). The community may be small, but we're all always going to be interested in whatever bit of Trespasser we can get our paws on. I know I'm looking forward to playing the finished product, and it sure sounds like tatu is as well...I say keep it up! I'm always willing to help out if I can find some time, as well. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks for the positive comments, T.I. I'll see what I can do as far the fog and clip settings; I can change those in various locations to better show the horizon where needed. If my reply seems a bit short, sorry, but I'm just dead tired from work. But, yeah, many thanks for your feedback. :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's not that there is no interest, it's that right now there is no time (well, in my case, at least). So, don't let that discourage you. If I got discouraged because of not getting any feedback for anything I've done (and I don't mean Trespasser-related stuff only), by now I'd probably be sitting in a cave...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

machf wrote:It's not that there is no interest, it's that right now there is no time (well, in my case, at least). So, don't let that discourage you. If I got discouraged because of not getting any feedback for anything I've done (and I don't mean Trespasser-related stuff only), by now I'd probably be sitting in a cave...

I'd be discouraged if the feedback lent itself to my doing a poor job. In that case, I would have to fire myself. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that I'm losing my touch (I would imagine that a few people too would say that I never had it! :eek: ).
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Below, just a few model renders for the milling area. I'm trying to concentrate on one area at a time so I don't lose my mind.
Attachments
logging tractor
logging tractor
log_trac.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
milling_building
milling_building
millbldg.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh crap.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files