Your Trespasser story (Trespasser 20th anniversary)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Your Trespasser story (Trespasser 20th anniversary)

Post by Mof1234567890 »

I returned with a new sort of idea for us to discuss. But now I think it’s the best time to share YOUR stories about Trespasser. How do you first played this game? What’s your favorite level? Or favorite Hammond quotes? What’s your mots favorite thing about Trespasser?
We all have our stories about the Trespasser and now, when the game celebrates its 20th anniversary, we can all just share and discuss :)

P.S
I know that Trespasser came out in November, but I think the Jurassic June is the best possible time for this topic :yum:
I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Your Trespasser story (Trespasser 20th anniversary)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice thread!

Personally, I have retold the tale of how I got Trespasser a billion times and it's no longer interesting to relate. However I quite enjoyed the whole story surrounding the Trespasser Beta. This dude came around to TresCom years ago and contacted us about a CD he acquired from the widow of a CEO someplace. On it was the 96th build of Trespasser, containing the holy grail of Trespasser, "Pine Valley". Before we even received the disc, the owner posted a video of PV onto youtube.
A considerable commotion was to take place over how much to pay for the sacred disc. In the end the initial asking price was given and TresCom got the disc from the ancient past. The disc installed an older version of the Trespasser engine, with slightly different menu graphics, and the files found their way onto torrent sites. Relics such as the t-rex tooth from the Strat Guide and other differences were found, and of course Pine Valley itself was thoroughly explored, in all its bugginess. The thought-to-be-PH footprint turned out to be a sound-material-less raptor nest, and the TPA files included hours of extra work for machf. I myself posted a journey through the first half onto the forums with screenshots. Good days!
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm fairly certain I've shared my story elsewhere on the site in the past...more or less, in short, I discovered the game via some shady gameplay footage back when Youtube was still young in around 2006, actually got the game from Ebay in about 2008, and started figuring out how to mod it as soon as I'd beaten it. In fact, almost immediately after playing the game, I stumbled upon this site and tried out TC~Isle, which is what motivated me to try modding in the first place. I spent several years making my own little mods and figuring out the tricks of the engine - using TresCom's many resources as reference - and such until I finally decided to sign up here a few years ago, having lurked around on TresCom for nearly six years. 8)

Potentially more interesting than my whole "how I got here" story is the plethora of never-released mods I made before I signed up on TresCom, which are now lost to time...

The very first mod I did was a huge edit of BE, which included a lot of "building-block" constructions, including a massive "Aviary", a garage building near the hotel, an actual, partially finished hotel structure, a tall cliff area where a Raptor jumped down as you tried to use boxes to climb up onto the monorail (whose station was moved back to where the billboard is in retail), and three additional paths which lead to a valley which is blocked off in the retail level. Interestingly, I'd set the level during a gray, foggy morning, which was later used in the Tres Reloaded project. The level was ultimately doomed due to my lack of understanding regarding the palette system, and it became unstable when I went over the limit due to using 24-bit textures everywhere.

There was also a level called "Ocean Escape" or something like that, where you were on a boat sailing away from the island when a spinosaurus appeared out of the water. You had a machine gun which could be reloaded by touching your hand to a can full of bullets, and you had to use it to down the super-powerful spino in order to win while avoiding being knocked out of the tiny lifeboat. I want to remake this level at some point as it was quite fun on its own, even if it was very short and simple.

After Ocean Escape, I recall making a level called "Swamps", which was meant to be a continuation of the Beach edit after I'd removed the aviary at one point and replaced it with a simple cliff you walked down. Swamps was meant to link between BE and IJ as an alternate to JR, and included a new version of the aviary, as well as a big lake in the centre surrounded by impassible cattails. You had to get something from the aviary in order to open a bunker which would give you the key to open the gate to IJ, if I remember correctly. The level was about half-finished when I lost it due to an import error. :cry:

Then there was Operation Lizard Tooth, which I started after figuring out the pallette error and deciding my other levels were doomed because of it. Only one of Lizard Tooth's 2 worked-on levels was ever found, and I released it a while back in a highly unfinished state. You were a CIA agent sent to Trespasser's version of Isla Sorna for whatever reason, and your helicopter crashed in the mountains to the west of IT (I didn't know about PV, PH or PL at that point, so I made up what could exist in the rest of the island). After climbing down the mountains, going through a cave and jumping over a waterfall, you entered level 2, which was essentially an open field area with lots of herbivores before an allosaurus broke up the fun. You fought the allosaur at the end of the level, where he would break down a wall so you could access a waterworks facility. From there, you'd make your way through a tunnel area - inspired by the Sega Genesis JP game - and then through a swamp to end the level before entering the pine forest side of the island, where you'd discover the hunter's camp and the wrecked trailers. The last level after the forest one was a long stream section where the same allosaur from before would reappear, scarred and bloody, and chase you down a creek until you had your final showdown with him. He would fall and crush some rocks which would open up a beach where you would find the wreck of the Dino-Soar boat from JP3, and you would end up using that to escape. Alas, that ultimately buggy mod was eventually abandoned after I found out about East Dock and hppav started releasing some of his JP assets... :wink:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, I'm sure I posted how I first played this game long, long ago. Although, I think
my favorite memory of the game was how it scared the hell out of my son (who was
about 8 at the time). As soon as he encountered his first raptor and it roared, he jumped
out of the chair and ran out of the room.

Guess you had to be there, but it was funnier than hell.

*Favorite Levels: The town and the lab.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Ah, so we're doing favorite levels now, too? In that case, IJ, AS1 and the town part of IT. The town itself is a 10/10, the rest more 5/10ish.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh. Very cool stories TI!
For myself, I have to say that JR has over time become my favorite level, in all its various permutations.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I can't find mine anymore, I had already told my story a few years (edit: wow, more like 8 years!) ago. Can anyone else find the topic?

Edit - found the old topic. Here's my story:
Hilwo wrote:Not sure if this has been done before, but I thought it might be fun idea to start a topic in which
we can share the specific things we remember of our very first playthrough of Trespasser. And
maybe a bit of info prior to getting/starting the game. I'll go first:

I remember reading about the game in various magazines, what stood out for me was that the
game was going to be one big level and that the dinosaurs would not stay in one place but would
move all over the island. I had a PC Zone Benelux membership and remember seeing ads, a review
for the game and a CD that came with the demo. I was amazed with the demo, but somehow I
never bought Trespasser when it first came out. I tried, but I just can't remember why I didn't
buy it back then, but it was probably a money issue or maybe our computer wasn't up to it.

In any case I must have forgotten about the game (how could I?) until about 6 months after its
release. I then asked a classmate to burn me a copy of the game, it'd take a while for him to
get it, though. Yeah I know, an 'illegal copy'. I'm a terrible person, shoot bullets through me :yum:
I've got several original copies now, so I think I more than made up for it. Anyway, all I had during
the wait for the full game, was the demo.

By the time I got the full game I'd done it all; I got past the rocks (I think with help from TresNet),
got past the Rex, saw the canal and had no idea what it was for. Let alone did I know this was
once Pine Valley, hell... I didn't even know about a level being cut at all back then.

Ah, the full game... I won't go through all the levels, but just some specific things that come to
mind concerning my very first playthrough of Trespasser. Maybe I'll remember more later but here's
the things that come to mind for now;

That wooden ramp thing in the Beach level, ever tried to make that jump with a pre-patched game?
I did, lots of time! My advice; don't. I remember how impatient I was, wanting to pass that ramp
and wanting to see the rest of the game.

The most specific thing I remember was the way I got into Wu's house. Instead of solving the puzzle
and unlocking the gate, I dragged a couple of boxes over, made a staircase out of them and hopped
over the gate. I realise I completely ruined the puzzle the developers had intended me to solve, but
I remember just how surprised I was that it was even possible in a game to do this. If I hadn't
already realised this game was different, this must have been the place where I made that realisation.

The Lab level must have been my favorite level from the beginning. I remember that when I saw that all
buildings at the compound needed a keycard, I was worried I forgot to bring one along and had to hike
all the way back. I was a bit dissapointed with the way-too-easy 'Kandar' puzzle, I was hoping it
would have been harder. That way you would have felt more proud solving it yourself.

Well that's all for now, how about you guys?
Link to the old topic: First contact with Trespasser and your first playthrough
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Draconisaurus wrote: The thought-to-be-PH footprint turned out to be a sound-material-less raptor nest
Thank you, this was the answer I was looking for.

So my story Starts when I was really young and the farthest that I got was the first raprtor encounter, nuff said. later around the time of Far Cry 2 I became addicted to the open world concept and the limitles potential of it's map maker. The earliest maps consited of Catastrophe Canyon, Call of Duty, and dinosaur themed maps. It was in these early maps that sparked the idea to do a Trespaser style map. The first attempt if you could call it that was an abomination :oops:. The only thing tres related was the plane wreck, construction site (a shanty building and radio tower), and the town (a collection of small buildings, church and a Hammond style home). The only visal reference I used/had was what I rememberd and the game's case. After a while of making maps I saw the horror that I had spawned and vowded to redeem myself. I still didn't have a way to play the game so I relied heavly on let's plays videos by ubergamer, glitchhunter, and Research Indicates to name a few. The map was set up like a maze with the town in the center and each level followed the key features that were in the game but once through the level you could then go either to the adjoining level or choosing between two or three Paths. For example after reaching the monorail terminal you could either go left to the Lab or right to the Jungle Road. I Spent years tweaking the various sections, always striving for perfection. I made DETAILED pen maps in my free time at school and list's of things I still needed to add or look at. Later on I was blessed with receiving my grandma's old computer, I still remember laying on the floor in my room with the bulky computer the tears of joy at seeing the pixelated landscape and hearing sounds that I had missed for so long. Eventually FC2 came to an end and the FC3 iteration was sadly shelved. Minecraft would fill the void and here I am now, going on two and half years on the MinePass project.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh very nice! Interested to see the work you've done
Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Mof1234567890 »

So, I never actually talked about my Trespasser story, but I will try at least.
It was in 2004 (I believe) when I first saw Trespasser. My friend (who sadly moved from Russia to another country and I lost contact with him) brought illigeal disk from the video-market and told me, because he knew that I was a Jurassic Park fan. In that time I did not have a computer, so we played on friend’s old computer.
And Trespasser amazed me from the first minutes of gameplay, although the game lagged so bad, it was just super cool. We actually never finished it, we only completed levels before Town and that’s it. Many years later I downloaded Trespasser from the internet (torrent) and played it myself, and it was still amazing!
Nowadays Trespasser is my top 1 best JP game ever released and one of the best game in 90’s - early 2000’s. I still play in it, even custom levels (which are so fun, also wandet to thank all the TresCom custom-level creators for this, especially Draconisaurus :D ). Trespasser in some way inspired me to become a screenwriter, it is inspired me to create my Jurassic Park 3 Fan-book with some homage to Trespasser. And it is also inspired me to create sort of a map for Fallout 4 called “Site B” with some adondoned InGen facilities, docks, train station, laboratory and etc. And this map also based on actuall island in ocean :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well dude, glad I inspired such stuff 8) That mod sounds pretty tight.
Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Mof1234567890 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Well dude, glad I inspired such stuff 8) That mod sounds pretty tight.
I liked the Hunter’s Camp level that you’ve done. It will be so cool to create like Trespasser: Extended Cut with some cult-classic levels included (including your Pine Valley, Hunter’s camp). :D

And that’s not like mod, it’s a custom level (sort of) with some puzzles to solve. Player must restore power to some adandoned InGen facilities and try escape the island. Also, in this map Hunter’s camp (some sort) makes cameo appearnce as a little nod to Trespasser. And one puzzle with main InGen complex power restoration is also nod to the Pine Valley puzzle and The Lab puzzle :yes:
The same with the docks part of this map
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hah thanks. Wanted to make sure a version of would-be-original HC was made and released.
Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Mof1234567890 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hah thanks. Wanted to make sure a version of would-be-original HC was made and released.
Is there some hidden secrets on this level? Because it is really cool, although I wish that the camp was a little bit bigger and with Hammond voiceovers about missing hunters, LaSalle and hunter’s ultimate fate. Also I liked M-16)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hehe, well there is a secret alternate route near the start, and - the missing-hunter voiceovers go to the AS1-AS2 area of Tres, so. IIRC my release of HC includes triggers for voiceovers only found in the beta Stream.tpa file, for posterity's sake.