PCGamer Article (2018-03-27)

Found articles relating to Trespasser

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

PCGamer Article (2018-03-27)

Post by tatu »

I just caught this, posted today at PCGamer:

https://www.pcgamer.com/remembering-one ... respasser/

Apparently the article is a preview of another Trespasser article. Fun to see it still get attention, and even a recommendation to play it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: PCGamer Interview (2018-03-27)

Post by Draconisaurus »

As well, multiple links to TresCom. Noice. I wonder how many of us laugh when we read these reviews of the arm mechanics, after so many years of training in proficient Anne-arm operation.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:As well, multiple links to TresCom. Noice. I wonder how many of us laugh when we read these reviews of the arm mechanics, after so many years of training in proficient Anne-arm operation.
*raises hand* :P

So funny that Tres still gets attention like this. It's really fascinating though that even 20 years later, people still talk about it and remember it well - not something you can say about many things in the past 20 years. There really just isn't anything else like it since.

I still think people are too harsh on the arm, though. Once you've gotten used to the controls - usually by the time you reach IT or LAB - it's really not that bad. I've had friends play it, complain about the difficult controls all the way through BE and JR - but by the time we've reached the Summit about 4 or 5 hours later, everyone seems to be of the opinion that "it was actually quite fun"! You learn the quirks of the game pretty quickly, and once you know what to do and what not to do, everything sort of falls into place and comes together. It's just too bad that this seems to occur for most people halfway through the game. :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Personally, I never found any difficulties in controlling the arm...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I still believe it's one of the most realistic approaches to interacting with an environment
ever achieved. Even in most of today's xbox games, you either pick things up by walking
over them or accessing a menu, hardly realistic.

Too bad the reviewer doesn't give some of our redos a fair look. At the least, someone
should give him Lee's work.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:I still believe it's one of the most realistic approaches to interacting with an environment
ever achieved. Even in most of today's xbox games, you either pick things up by walking
over them or accessing a menu, hardly realistic.

Too bad the reviewer doesn't give some of our redos a fair look. At the least, someone
should give him Lee's work.
That applies to more than Xbox games ;)

As mention in the article, he says he is using Lee's CE patch. And will be back with a full length article soon :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

tatu wrote:As mention in the article, he says he is using Lee's CE patch. And will be back with a full length article soon :)
My bad. I have a habit of trying to speed read and missed it-
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

machf wrote:Personally, I never found any difficulties in controlling the arm...
It was YEARS before I got to play this game again and by the time I left the BE construction site I was good to go. If you really want to talk about difficulty try playing with no sound....ay good times :P.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: PCGamer Article (2018-03-27)

Post by Draconisaurus »

IIRC I originally played most or all of the original game sans sound.
tatu

Re: PCGamer Article (2018-03-27)

Post by tatu »