Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Post by TheIdiot »

Somehow I knew you'd get Mayan stuff into this level. :P Good thinking though, I had no idea what to do with that cave. Keep in mind that I left a hole in the celing behind where you've put the Mayan Face with the intent to create an exit there - it might get blocked by the face.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Oh I love this cave!
I don't know much about the triggers but couldn't we do something where you're in an airplane at the beginning or something and there's a wall of options for the skylighting for dark or whatever and when ready click start and it could teleport you to a landing site perhaps with a cutscene of it landing? Or maybe even make it play into the story more by someone asking you when you want to be there and it'll show two or three options of times.

Also have we gotten the E3 demo raptors ported to the release engine? Would love to mix all the pre-release goodies into this level.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote: Also, I'd like to suggest replacing the dinosaur models with community-made updated versions, since not only do they look better, but the newer models are much easier to make custom skins for (4-6 texture files vs 20+ on the old ones). Right now that just means replacing the red Raptor, of course, and I know there's a Tribe B skin for the TC~Isle Raptor in JPDS which can be used as a replacement. We also definitely have Tribe A and Tribe C skins for the Raptors, and there are also Trespasser skins for the JPOG Rex, brachiosaur and albertosaur. The only dinosaur without a Tres-style skin is the parasaur, but I have an unfinished one which can be touched up and used.
That's actually a pretty good idea. We should probably take out the Tribe B raptor in favor of another one, probably a TC~Isle raptor with a skin that matches the environment we've started to create. That being said I love the cave that you made TI! I had an idea similar to that before your update, but I would never in a million years thought to put a cascading waterfall somewhere in there :lol: I also like Drac's edition of the mayan artifacts, although the huge Mayan head looks like an eyesore sitting at the very end of the cave. You wouldn't mind if I scaled it down a teensy bit and placed it somewhere along the walls of the cave? I'm going to edit some of this next, and work on the left fork as well :P

EDIT: There we go http://www.mediafire.com/file/uf5o5fyx2 ... serGuy.rar
Nothing really special, just started to flesh out the left fork
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

I just wanted to add here that starting a Discord chat would be a great idea.

I am involved in a couple of other mod projects that use Discord and it's a very effective way for staying in touch and easily tracking and sorting information. I love TresCom and its history, but I don't have the time to dedicate to scouring through the forums like I used to, and the immediacy of response on Discord is great for keeping things moving.

I'd be interested in participating as a 3D Artist, particularly if we can get a Discord server started so it's more convenient to keep up with.

To make things easier, I went ahead and made the server myself.

Here is the invite link: https://discord.gg/wYvAG2Q

For those unfamiliar, Discord can be run in a browser just fine. Alternatively, you can download applications for your phone, tablet, PC, or Mac. No matter how you use it, you'll have all of the same functionality.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I don't know much about the triggers but couldn't we do something where you're in an airplane at the beginning or something and there's a wall of options for the skylighting for dark or whatever and when ready click start and it could teleport you to a landing site perhaps with a cutscene of it landing? Or maybe even make it play into the story more by someone asking you when you want to be there and it'll show two or three options of times.
That's some pretty complex scripting, but in theory, yes, you could do that. I think the wall of options for lighting is possible for sure, but the cutscene and actually talking to an NPC are stuff we have yet to have working in any level. Keep those ideas in mind though because they are all doable, and being able to select the time-of-day would indeed be quite interesting.
Also have we gotten the E3 demo raptors ported to the release engine? Would love to mix all the pre-release goodies into this level.
Yep, we have both versions of the Raptor...however...
That's actually a pretty good idea. We should probably take out the Tribe B raptor in favor of another one, probably a TC~Isle raptor with a skin that matches the environment we've started to create.
...if we're going to replace the dinosaurs with updated versions, I think it's best that we either go with higher-poly ones or the old Trespasser-quality ones, so we don't end up with an unsightly mix. We could of course reskin the TC~Isle Raptor and make it look like the pre-release one!
I also like Drac's edition of the mayan artifacts, although the huge Mayan head looks like an eyesore sitting at the very end of the cave. You wouldn't mind if I scaled it down a teensy bit and placed it somewhere along the walls of the cave? I'm going to edit some of this next, and work on the left fork as well :P
I agree with this, I think the head looks a bit random just sitting there at the end of the cave. Although the reveal of it when you come around the corner is quite cool, it definitely needs to be blended better with the environment.
I just wanted to add here that starting a Discord chat would be a great idea.
Iiiii'd rather not, personally. I'm happy with working on TresCom, and don't want to have to sign up to another website-thing just for this one level; would rather stick with something we're all used to than switch over to this newfangled technology. :P It seems unnecessary anyway, as we're all communicating just fine on this thread.

EDIT: TresGuy, I really like what you've done with the cave! I thought it was overly flat but couldn't think of a good way to make it look right. That secondary waterfall looks perfect! Now we just need to make the stream into a single mesh.

EDIT#2: I'm going to get cracking on the level again, will post again when I'm finished!

EDIT#3: Here we are:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ozhdk8xtq ... eIdiot.zip

Nothing too huge this time, added an exit to the cave and did some general tweaking here and there. The PClimbRope object needs editing so it is easier to climb - I wasn't able to perfect it.

I've changed the version number to 0.0.9, since 1.0 would usually indicate a complete version. So the next version will be 0.1.0, then 0.1.1, etc.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Fair enough! The Discord server exists now anyway, should anyone be interested. A few people have joined up.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Discord server, yessss! TI, do let us know if you change your mind. Chatting is the way some of us stay sane at all while at the computer. Currently lots of discussion for this mod is taking place there.

Latest update looks great! TI, those rope physics are tiny compared to the JPDS vines you based it off... I simply could not climb that thing. The size from the vines version seems to create the getting-stuck aspect needed to achieve the ascent.

Am digging the latest cave editions. However after exiting, I got serious slow-downs whenever the distant mountain model was visible. So..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Latest update looks great! TI, those rope physics are tiny compared to the JPDS vines you based it off... I simply could not climb that thing. The size from the vines version seems to create the getting-stuck aspect needed to achieve the ascent.
Yeah, the problem was that when I rescaled it down to a more appropriate size for the rope, the physics got too bunched up and it became unclimbable. Would you perhaps be able to fix that?
Am digging the latest cave editions. However after exiting, I got serious slow-downs whenever the distant mountain model was visible. So..
I don't understand why that might be happening. The mountain model is very low-poly, it shouldn't be doing that at all. And it's visible no matter where you are in the level. Could it perhaps be that massive water object I used for the lagoon which comes after the cave?
OccultOne
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by OccultOne »

Ack, missed the discord link. (At GDC, so I'm a bit scattered for time)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The Discordapp discussions were good. Keepin' the ball moving.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:The Discordapp discussions were good. Keepin' the ball moving.
That's great and all, buuuut...could someone provide a quick summary of what you guys came up with?
tatu

Post by tatu »

To put it simple: Nothing. :P

The main talk was not about any modding really, but other Trespasser and TresCom related things :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

It looks like we've hit a dry spell with the modding of this level :/
Spoiler: show
Which is why I've continued work on it :P

http://www.mediafire.com/file/odawdxh8p ... serGuy.rar
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Will have to wait to purchase new batteries for my mouse...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:It looks like we've hit a dry spell with the modding of this level :/
Spoiler: show
Which is why I've continued work on it :P

http://www.mediafire.com/file/odawdxh8p ... serGuy.rar
Some more nice additions, although I can't help but feel the "summit" is a bit too close to the start of the level to be the end, unless of course we create some need to solve a series of puzzles elsewhere to get up to the mountaintop. Which would probably be a good move.
Draconisaurus wrote:Will have to wait to purchase new batteries for my mouse...
Which is why I still use entirely wired stuff (keyboard, mouse, controllers), since I can't always get down to Walmart to grab batteries. Plus it tends to be easier to find a decent deal on some of it - got a Razer Deathadder mouse for 33% off last year from Staples during a big sale.