Discussion of the PH Level from the 'PCGamer Build'

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Discussion of the PH Level from the 'PCGamer Build'

Post by TheIdiot »

Hmm, an interesting find you've got there, Draco. It looks like they were using actual hand models to represent magnet objects and the position in which Anne holds them at some point. Really clever, I must say - may have to try that myself at some point! Do those objects actually pick up the way the hand is shown to do so in-game?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I would have to check, I'm sure I will at some point; there's also that they are obviously based on the older, higher-poly hand, not sure what effect that might have. I was saying to Tatu we should get a shoulder-chunk model for the other magnets (which these objects seem to be missing entirely).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I would have to check, I'm sure I will at some point; there's also that they are obviously based on the older, higher-poly hand, not sure what effect that might have. I was saying to Tatu we should get a shoulder-chunk model for the other magnets (which these objects seem to be missing entirely).
Presumably the older hand model won't really do anything, as it's the central point of the magnet model that Anne will grab in-game. The hand model is probably just for reference.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well yes I know. I wish to test experimentally that the exact shape differences don't shift where the hand appears on the retail Anne model.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, I've been wondering... after PJ was removed, either JR, IJ or both had to be modified so that the end of JR sort of matched the start of IJ, but how were they meant to be originally? I mean, we've been trying to figure out the route Anne should follow through PH based on the *current* layout of both JR and IJ, right?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yes, the famous PJ, Plantation Jungle... Vast expanses of plantations, far as the eye can see.

...We have an IJ from the same time as the PH we have, which has its own take on that area of terrain and is surely the one to look at. Basically, both levels have very basic hill-streambed-path-ish terrain, with PH having a couple crevice puzzles not in the IJ terrain. TI did a good job of linking them in his all-in-one, basically just take the very simplistic IJ terrain and cut in the PH ending, and they merge quite smoothly.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yes, the famous PJ, Plantation Jungle... Vast expanses of plantations, far as the eye can see.
What's this PJ level? Never heard of it before. :|
...We have an IJ from the same time as the PH we have, which has its own take on that area of terrain and is surely the one to look at. Basically, both levels have very basic hill-streambed-path-ish terrain, with PH having a couple crevice puzzles not in the IJ terrain. TI did a good job of linking them in his all-in-one, basically just take the very simplistic IJ terrain and cut in the PH ending, and they merge quite smoothly.
As Draco said, yes, they do link together fairly well, although if you want to connect IJ1 to PH, you have to remove some of one terrain or another in order to get them to combine together. What I ultimately did was cut the second crevice out of PH and have the IJ streambed begin after the first crevice, since the walkthrough mentions something about a "balancing beam" as being the ending of PH, which I had to assume was meant to go over that first crevice. Why exactly the PH terrain doesn't blend properly with the IJ terrain if supposedly there was only meant to be ONE crevice, I don't really know...perhaps the PH terrain is an older version, and IJ's streambed had at one point looked different so that it merged properly with it.

Do we know exactly around what build PH got cut?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

PH is only in one of our builds... Sometime between that and the next one we have.