TRR exporter and TRI importer MAXscripts

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

TRR exporter and TRI importer MAXscripts

Post by machf »

OK, now I've finally uploaded those scripts I made a long time ago so that you can find them on the Editing section of the site. I fixed the TRR export script so that it no longer conflicts with the TPM export script, and made a version converted for use with Gmax just as hppav did with the old one.

http://www.trescom.org/editing/

After editing terrain in TresEd and saving it, you should use GUIapp to convert it to a .TRI file, then use the TRI importer to load it into 3ds Max/Gmax, then use the TRR exporter to generate a .TRR file, then again use GUIapp to create e new .wtd file from the .TRR file. That will prevent the bugs usually associated with 3rd-party terrain files, where everything appears to "sink" into the terrain because the in-game rendered terrain doesn't match with the actual terrain heights...

Alternatively, you can export the terrain as a .TPM file from within TresEd and then use the TPM importer to load it into 3ds Max/Gmax and proceed from there, but .TPM terrain files don't appear to be as optimized as .TRI ones.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: TRR exporter and TRI importer MAXscripts

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds quite useful, thanks...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Thanks! I should start using this instead. I guess it will work better than using the TPM fuction, as it is the "official" way. I think the official Terrain exporter also allows importation of .TRI files. I have actually never tried it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Thanks for the new gmax exporter machf :) I kinda miss 3ds Max, but I've used gMax for so long that I'm used to using it by this point :lol:
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I don't trust my pretty-much-dirt-cheap laptop with Max at this time... Sticking to working-with/retooling existing assets (and photoshop).
xelono
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by xelono »

GUIapp?? where download this?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's part of the tools package released at the same time as Tres CE...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

...somewhere buried in the Trespasser CE thread.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Actually, they are in the downloads section of TresCom, "Tools" subsection.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:O Well that's handy.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote::O Well that's handy.
We are not that lazy here :P

Also, as the latest CE release was a stable one, it is on the first post anyway. ;)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

Could you give an example where the terrain is less optimized in the TPM format?

TheIdiot did some work on our Island terrain, but for some reason that made GUIApp crash when exporting it to .TRI. However, I remade the .WTD using the TPM way and after that it worked. However, TheIdiot took a look and he couldn't notice that remaking the terrain via the TPM format made any changes to the terrain quality wise.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:Could you give an example where the terrain is less optimized in the TPM format?

TheIdiot did some work on our Island terrain, but for some reason that made GUIApp crash when exporting it to .TRI. However, I remade the .WTD using the TPM way and after that it worked. However, TheIdiot took a look and he couldn't notice that remaking the terrain via the TPM format made any changes to the terrain quality wise.
Uh... after editing in TresEd, you export as .TPM, then import it into MAX, then export it as a .TRR file, then convert it into a .WTD file with GUIapp. And THEN you can convert it into a .TRI file with GUIapp to import it back into MAX and look at it and compare it to the .TPM one.

If you edited with TresEd and then attempted to export the terrain as a.TRI file with GUIapp, no wonder it crashed... remember, TresEd doesn't save proper WTD files. GUIapp won't have problems with retail WTDs or WTDs that have been re-generated by GUIapp itself suing the method mentioned above.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:remember, TresEd doesn't save proper WTD files.
Even when they are modified/resaved retail WTDs?...
tatu

Post by tatu »

So this method is only good for retail WTD's then I guess, not fan made ones. Or unedit GUIApp WTD generated ones.