Some Plains (PL) Research

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Some Plains (PL) Research

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:Yeah, I would say they are not from an in-game engine, as the terrain looks really smooth comparing to how it looks in-game.
I never said they were in-game. I don't think that level ever made it past 3DS MAX.
Oh, and aside from the trees and Stegs, you can see the terrain textures too...
If you look at the raptors in the second image, you can see the raptors being in their "default" position, and they look more like the long clawed mesh.
Yep.
I like the Para skins.
Apparently, there are two different ones - the one in the foreground with some shades of red, and the ones in the background, which look like the "old" Paras (the ones with a single-bitmap texture).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

3DS Max at the time rendered things at a much higher quality than what Trespasser was actually capable of. A lot of screenshots were taken in 3DS max early on. You can usually tell if it was taken in 3DS max by the amount of lighting and shading used. Case in point, the images above.

If PL made it past 3DS max chances are it wasn't around for long. Mainly because of the game engine's history of not taking kindly to levels such as PL. We all know how JPDS's Plains level handles in the game engine, and while stable, the performance is not exactly pretty in places. (especially on low end PC's) Imagine doing that on the average PC in 1998. The results probably were twice as disastrous. Also, Remember what Richard Wyckoff said ages ago about it. You were supposed to be able see for miles in any direction. We've determined from the earlier builds that the view distance was much better than the final's early on. As they started adding plants and other objects to levels, it got worse.

Regarding that Dam image, it may be ingame actually though not "ingame" ingame. It definitely doesn't look like an image from 3DS max. That means it may have been taken from a version of the GUI app. remember, the GUI App could run the game for testing iirc.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Here's something else:
TerrainLoad.hpp wrote:// This function will create a matching .wtd file for a .trr file if none exists yet. If
// a .wtd file exists, it will be overwritten WITHOUT prompting the user first.
//
// Creation of a .wtd file will cause progress and file information to be output to the
// given console. The console output is written to a session file.
//
// This function will open a new session file for the console unless that console has an
// open session file already. The filename of the new session file is derived from the given
// terrain data file, appended with 'Info.txt'. For example, the session file for a 'Plains'
// terrain file is: 'PlainsInfo.txt'. This function leaves the session file open so that
// other function may append to it.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Yeah, I guess that is the script they use along with the TerrainExporter. There is a function you can tick to autoconvert .trr to .wtd directly.

As for the PlainsInfo.txt, the E3 build still have those left from their versions.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:Yeah, I guess that is the script they use along with the TerrainExporter. There is a function you can tick to autoconvert .trr to .wtd directly.

As for the PlainsInfo.txt, the E3 build still have those left from their versions.
There's PVinfo.txt and IJinfo.txt, I wish there as a PlainsInfo.txt somewhere... it would indicate Plains became something more than just a .MAX file.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

The E3 build just really had levels that were ready for public viewing (PV and IJ and testscene if that counts as well.) since it was E3 and people would be testing the game out.

As for the PCgamer build, I think I heard somewhere that no issue of PCgamer ever actually covered stuff from this build of Trespasser. I'm guessing it was never sent to them. I could be wrong though. If someone can confirm if it was featured in an issue or not, that would be great. I'm guessing JR was included in the PCgamer version because it was the first stable release.
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Yeah. Well, we don't know which PCGamer magazine it was suppose to be sent too, might just been a non-english one. In any case, either they never sent it or the magazine never published the article.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well the PCgamer build was actually quite unstable. The engine is full of physics bugs that don't happen in the previous month's E3 build. This may have had something to do with it.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Okay, so I took a closer look at that plains level screenshot of the dam. Because of the JPeg degradation, it's not easy to see, but there are indeed shadows. And actually, that image is much brighter than the version of the image I have so the shadows aren't showing up as good.

If you take a look at the area near the Stego and the skinny tree, you can see the shadows easier. It's still not that easy to see, but you'll see it a lot better than in the above screenshot. This was indeed taken ingame. Probably from the no AI period of production. The dinosaur models are just static models that they put in for the purpose of the screenshot. There's actually an early Trespasser video that uses a static brown raptor that's set to land onto the player. (definitely made for a good prerelease jumpscare that's for sure)

What I'd like to know though is what level that was. It looks like it might be the Plains as well. If it's not, then it's a very early version of Tres's test level. Here's a picture from roughly the same spot as said Teaser video:

This Yellow Grass/sand texture is similar to the Desert style texture the Test level uses, but it also looks like Savannah grass as well, which is why I'm unsure.

This area would kinda fit the transition to PV from PL as you can see by the pine trees in the background.

Another image, possibly from the same location. The ground foliage does kinda match up with the .max file. From what little we know, the level was probably very flat in most places since the idea was that you were supposed to be able to see for miles in all directions. You'd come out of the town and be out in the open and need to get the battery for the floodgates on the dam to be able to pass. after that you'd start making your way up into the higher altitude parts of the island (PV and later)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Okay, so I took a closer look at that plains level screenshot of the dam. Because of the JPeg degradation, it's not easy to see, but there are indeed shadows. And actually, that image is much brighter than the version of the image I have so the shadows aren't showing up as good.

If you take a look at the area near the Stego and the skinny tree, you can see the shadows easier. It's still not that easy to see, but you'll see it a lot better than in the above screenshot. This was indeed taken ingame. Probably from the no AI period of production. The dinosaur models are just static models that they put in for the purpose of the screenshot. There's actually an early Trespasser video that uses a static brown raptor that's set to land onto the player. (definitely made for a good prerelease jumpscare that's for sure)
Which teaser video? If it's the one I have in mind, that's an early version of IJ.
What I'd like to know though is what level that was. It looks like it might be the Plains as well. If it's not, then it's a very early version of Tres's test level. Here's a picture from roughly the same spot as said Teaser video:

This Yellow Grass/sand texture is similar to the Desert style texture the Test level uses, but it also looks like Savannah grass as well, which is why I'm unsure.
There are several screenshots from that area, it seems it's some earlier test scene (not TestScene, mind you).
I think there may be one or two more, but they aren't currently on TresCom's server. I'll have to go through my archives.
This area would kinda fit the transition to PV from PL as you can see by the pine trees in the background.

Another image, possibly from the same location. The ground foliage does kinda match up with the .max file. From what little we know, the level was probably very flat in most places since the idea was that you were supposed to be able to see for miles in all directions. You'd come out of the town and be out in the open and need to get the battery for the floodgates on the dam to be able to pass. after that you'd start making your way up into the higher altitude parts of the island (PV and later)
Maybe. The abundance of dinosaurs may hint at the Plains. But they could really be from anywhere...
Oh, and notice the difference in the sky textures...
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

It's the very short teaser video. And I've examined the video and early prototype IJ. They're not the same map. Actually, it looks like that possible test level above. Same pool of water I think as a matter of fact. https://youtu.be/RvQNT-KcDaQ?t=3m1s

Something else I've noticed is that the "test scene" actually resembles the terrain of the test scene we all know and love but with more foliage. I think it may be one and the same and it was before the Test scene was used as a personal dumping ground for scrapped assets.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:It's the very short teaser video. And I've examined the video and early prototype IJ. They're not the same map. Actually, it looks like that possible test level above. Same pool of water I think as a matter of fact. https://youtu.be/RvQNT-KcDaQ?t=3m1s
Oh, that one from C|net... there's another one where you land on the grey terrain patch in IJ only to be attacked almost immediately by a raptor, I thought you meant that one.
Something else I've noticed is that the "test scene" actually resembles the terrain of the test scene we all know and love but with more foliage. I think it may be one and the same and it was before the Test scene was used as a personal dumping ground for scrapped assets.
Not quite sure if that's the case (I've considered it too), or if it's one of those RAW terrain heightmaps that can be found with the source code:
phytestheightmap.png
phytestheightmap.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
Maybe this one, which is small like TestScene...
HeightField400x400x8.png
HeightField400x400x8.png (24.06 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
This one is the one used for the "View" building and all that...
ShackSceneHeight.png
ShackSceneHeight.png (68.74 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
This one is called "ShackScene"...
PineValley4M256x512.png
PineValley4M256x512.png (29.79 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
PineValley8M128x256.png
PineValley8M128x256.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
And two versions of Pine Valley in different resolution...
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Amazing. Also, I think I know what the "Shack scene" is (or rather was):

And also in one of the trailers, a pre-rendered rex is seen knocking over the soda pop machine.

Also, where can I find those heightmaps in the source code? What directory I mean.

I'm also curious if the heightmap for PV is later or earlier than the PCgamer and E3 versions? It seems it has the island still so it at least has to be sometime before build 96 because at that point it was replaced by a rock.

edit: nevermind, found the directory. Thanks for pointing these out. Now I have some more stuff for TCRF.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Amazing. Also, I think I know what the "Shack scene" is (or rather was):

And also in one of the trailers, a pre-rendered rex is seen knocking over the soda pop machine.
Yes, I guess that may have been it, but we can't really tell... since we don't actually see much either in the video or the screenshots.
glitchhunter09 wrote:
Also, where can I find those heightmaps in the source code? What directory I mean.

I'm also curious if the heightmap for PV is later or earlier than the PCgamer and E3 versions? It seems it has the island still so it at least has to be sometime before build 96 because at that point it was replaced by a rock.

edit: nevermind, found the directory. Thanks for pointing these out. Now I have some more stuff for TCRF.
If you're interested, I made some playable levels from those heightmaps... nothing fancy, though, just to see what they look like and try to find out if they corresponded to any unidentified screenshots...
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Amazing. Also, I think I know what the "Shack scene" is (or rather was):
Let me guess, it's connected to the view building/tar pit area that was supposed to be between the two stream beds. Before reading about that area I had assumed it was just made for promotional purposes. I had originally pegged the warehouse (view building) as the starting point for the tram that would go up to the summit. Anyway here's some pics of the radio tower, sadly the walkthrough only descibes it as "downed" and labels it as a possible T-Rex encounter. I don't think there's any mention of them in the scripts. So maybe the concept for them was cut like the school.
Attachments
control_tower-2.jpg
control_tower-2.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 10426 times
isla_sorna_radio_lan_networking_hilltop_tower_by_roadwarriorz44-d72wijh.jpg
isla_sorna_radio_lan_networking_hilltop_tower_by_roadwarriorz44-d72wijh.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 10426 times