E3 & PCGamer, working TresEd levels. JR PLAYABLE RELEASE

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: E3 & PCGamer build, working TresEd levels.

Post by tatu »

You know Tatu, it would be cool to release all these levels at once in a stand-alone engine, once you're finished. I'd be willing to help on that part. :nerd:
Could be possible, when they are playable.
I'd really like to see these cleaned up and made playable. The fixing doesn't have to be as extensive as your ASUM level, but it would be nice to be able to go straight from JR into PH and PH into IJ - get the complete Tres experience once and for all. :) I'd also be behind making the current PH level look more like the retail versions of the levels since right now there are a few things - notably the ground textures - that would look very strange if they were in retail.
Noooo, please don't change the ground textures in PH :o
I was thinking of doing several versions. First of doing them TresEd friendly, or at least to show proper textures. Then another one which will be playable in later engines. Then, for the same project as ASUM, and TI's big island project a version that fits more to all levels.

I agree that the ground textures will looks pretty weird comparing to the other retail levels, as they are more colorful. Why I also thinking of doing more than one version as ground textures are the easiest thing to work with ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I was thinking of doing several versions. First of doing them TresEd friendly, or at least to show proper textures. Then another one which will be playable in later engines. Then, for the same project as ASUM, and TI's big island project a version that fits more to all levels.
Sounds like a plan. :D I've already got PH in my island level, so it's only a question of actually getting the objects into the level itself.
Noooo, please don't change the ground textures in PH :o
I agree that the ground textures will looks pretty weird comparing to the other retail levels, as they are more colorful. Why I also thinking of doing more than one version as ground textures are the easiest thing to work with ;)
Yeah, what I meant is that there should be a version of PH which retains all of the original stuff (dinos, textures, terrain, etc), as well as a version which makes it fit better into retail. That way, you can have both a standalone PH level as it originally were, and a PH level that fits perfectly into the final game. There would also have to be an edit of JR to take out all of the PH stuff, as well as edits to the terrain of JR, PH and IJ to make them all line up correctly.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lots of interesting ideas here... I for one (as with Hilwo) quite like the special terrain textures in PH. I guess there's an imaginary mod somewhere where all levels are that way..
tatu

Post by tatu »

This is why I prefer to make several versions, as it is mainly only terrain changes anyway, that will suite more people :) (And I like original stuff ;) )

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Lots of interesting ideas here... I for one (as with Hilwo) quite like the special terrain textures in PH. I guess there's an imaginary mod somewhere where all levels are that way..
I also really like the terrain textures in PH, but I'd like to have a version that is consistent with the retail levels so that they don't seem to be coming from entirely different games. I definitely prefer their original terrain objects and layout though. It looks more realistic to me, especially what they did with the PCGamer IJ level - a base layer of dirt with ground overlayed on top of that. Very advanced for its time, when most games would have just used flat grass textures with no overlays.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah. Terrain objects seem to have become very simplified by build 116.
tatu

Re: E3 & PCGamer, working TresEd levels. JR PLAYABLE RELEASE

Post by tatu »

I've updated the first post. Added new proper TresEd levels for all except 2 levels. Also added a playable version of Jungle Road for anyone to mess around in. I hope you find that fun Glitch ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice! *goes to download*
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Of course I will. JR's like my favorite level from retail. (though now I kinda love PH a little more tbh.)
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

The terrain in Trespasser is quite interesting. Quite like, how it is made of many individual squares. Not as effective as painted terrain, as in other games but the result is quite effective if practiced right.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I really wish Lee would fix that ground texture blurring problem on flat terrain. (it also seems to happen sometimes on terrain that isn't completely flat) It hurts the game pretty bad and ruins the immersion for me and until it's fixed hi-res textures are gonna be out of the question for me.

As for what I'm doing now, I'm currently working on giving JR the same treatment I gave PH. (JPOG dinos and stuff) I do kinda wish Geomadd's directory import didn't have the chance of rendering the level unplayable though. Porting everything one at a time is just time consuming as fuck.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:I really wish Lee would fix that ground texture blurring problem on flat terrain. (it also seems to happen sometimes on terrain that isn't completely flat) It hurts the game pretty bad and ruins the immersion for me and until it's fixed hi-res textures are gonna be out of the question for me.

As for what I'm doing now, I'm currently working on giving JR the same treatment I gave PH. (JPOG dinos and stuff) I do kinda wish Geomadd's directory import didn't have the chance of rendering the level unplayable though. Porting everything one at a time is just time consuming as fuck.
I know Lee have looked at the terrain textures. The issue is that Trespasser uses different layers for the terrain if I remember correctly, that is how it can be applied on top of the terrain like that. If he could fix it he would, or will one day. I agree with the hi-res textures. I do find the function useful tho as you can kinda bypass Trespasser's palette limit in levels, making it easier to not get weird looking textures as they have palette assigned to them. This way you can use the original ones we got from the Mystery Models packs, even tho the difference can barely be seen. So the function is pretty nice.

Sounds good Glitch, nice to see someone is doing work on it.

As for the Directory import, I've noticed that too. You can use it if you have only a few meshes. Another way around it would be to edit one TPM and import all information from the other ones into one single you then import. However, you need to make sure they are in the correct order ($Physics->Physics->Magnets->Mesh iirc) in order for them to work properly. But yes, I wish it did work better.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Importing can be a bitch like that, yes. Typically I try to help that problem by making multiple folders for a single export session, so that small groups can be done as Import Directory, saving time/hassal. Eventually you may get an idea of what sorts of things cause GeomAdd to frak up; TrnObjs for example are simple and don't complicate GeomAdd's work, while doors with magnets and $ubmodels are complicated and build up some sort of "clusterfuck potential" haha.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

i'm trying to play with e3 IJ but no matter what i do, i can't get it to work properly using retail engine or tresed. the best i could do is play with retail heightmap and some e3 textures and models. not sure how i even did that. i wanted to see the level before they added the raptor gorge. any ideas how i can get it to work?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Well the downloads here mainly only allow you to view the level in TresEd and not in-game. Even with the compatibility patches to play the levels in the retail engine that is on the site (https://www.trescom.org/download/downlo ... 3fixed.zip) does not work with Industrial Jungle due to some issues with that level. I'd recommend grabbing this file and take a look in TresEd or try installing the E3 build and try it. It should still work on a Windows 10, 64-Bit PC. :)