Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Beach Extreme Detail Remake

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI - what I had in mind is, imagine, a tall, rectangular object, gradiating from 100% transparent on left and right to 100% opaque (white or w/e) in the center. I am thinking that such a simple texture would not reveal itself too readily while rotating (the corners of the obj would be, ideally, out-of view). I think it's worth a shot.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:TI - what I had in mind is, imagine, a tall, rectangular object, gradiating from 100% transparent on left and right to 100% opaque (white or w/e) in the center. I am thinking that such a simple texture would not reveal itself too readily while rotating (the corners of the obj would be, ideally, out-of view). I think it's worth a shot.
Still not 100% certain I know what you're thinking of..? I looked up dithering light shafts and didn't get much for images...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Code: Select all

_________
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|________|
0%-100%-0% (opacity texture, for 24-bit white texture)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Ah, okay, I see now. That's sort of what I've done already, though, it's just a flat plane with a gradual opacity transition in the shape of a sun beam, except it doesn't rotate with the player. I think I might ditch this idea altogether now, though, since that ReShade thing I came up with does a good job with sunbeams.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Been a while since I've worked on this, but I decided to go and remake all of the default Tres barrels since I wanted new barrels for RTJP. They are the same size as the originals, but I gave them more sides, added 3D ridges, and made the ends indented. In addition to the regular closed barrels, I also made versions which have one end open with a removable top, as well as a bent version for some variety. The textures were also remade in 512x256 resolution and I made normalmaps and specular maps.

Image Image Image Image
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nice!
Are the open barrels solid, or can you put things inside them?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Nice!
Are the open barrels solid, or can you put things inside them?
Thanks! :)
I haven't given the open barrels proper physics objects yet, but yes, you will be able to put stuff in them. I'm thinking of giving all of the barrels 8-sides via physics objects so that they roll more naturally.

Oh yeah, and I also made a single-object version of the stacked barrels from the Beta 96 Gas Station and an object that is three barrels tied together to fill warehouse-type spaces while keeping the instance number down.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looks pretty nice! :D

Btw, dunno how many people realize but the "white" barrels in retail IT have more sides than in other levels.. possibly even more than you've given these. The other barrels seem to have consistent side-count throughout (and use top/bottom textures which conform to the side-number).

Hmmm so now we need a puzzle where you roll barrels down a hill and it knocks something over... Sounds like a fun physics puzzle :|
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Btw, dunno how many people realize but the "white" barrels in retail IT have more sides than in other levels.. possibly even more than you've given these. The other barrels seem to have consistent side-count throughout (and use top/bottom textures which conform to the side-number).
Do they really? I need to see this...
*looks*
Huh, you're right! The ones in Town have twelve sides, which is the same amount as I gave these ones. That's strange to me considering they are lower-poly than the other barrels in every other level. The ones I used as a base had eight sides, I think, and the other barrels (green, red and blue) all had ten.
Hmmm so now we need a puzzle where you roll barrels down a hill and it knocks something over... Sounds like a fun physics puzzle :|
Would work similarly to how many previous levels have executed rockslides, just with barrels. :P Might be able to work something like that into this level...would be cool to make the barrels hit that crashed Unimog in Beach, which knocks a crate carrying a weapon down or something.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Do they really? I need to see this...
*looks*
Huh, you're right! The ones in Town have twelve sides, which is the same amount as I gave these ones. That's strange to me considering they are lower-poly than the other barrels in every other level. The ones I used as a base had eight sides, I think, and the other barrels (green, red and blue) all had ten.
Yeah, my notion is that, for whatever reason, certain early Tres things were made very low poly, then increased in poly later... Meanwhile, certain things started higher poly and were later lowered. At any rate, in my view the white barrels had their detail increased because of how very low they started out. Also, the non-white barrels had their side-count sort of fixed-in-place by the top-bottom textures and so would have required more work to "fix". Mmmm aha! Perhaps the white barrels were made so low-poly with the hope that Trespasser would support more complex physics geometry, and so the barrel was modeled to be in the form of the desired (and practical) physics shape.
Would work similarly to how many previous levels have executed rockslides, just with barrels. :P Might be able to work something like that into this level...would be cool to make the barrels hit that crashed Unimog in Beach, which knocks a crate carrying a weapon down or something.
Erm. I'm not familiar with any rockslide puzzles in Tres. The only rockslide I know of is in JPDS~testing and it's not what I am referring to with the barrels... The rocks don't knock anything over - they hit dinosaurs and potentially kill them, and you don't push them over (they suddenly fall down when the player enters a CLocationTrigger). I am hoping to see something along the lines of the trailer puzzle from the demo except where the player has to physically knock down barrels in such a way that they roll down a hill and hit something to knock it over...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, my notion is that, for whatever reason, certain early Tres things were made very low poly, then increased in poly later... Meanwhile, certain things started higher poly and were later lowered. At any rate, in my view the white barrels had their detail increased because of how very low they started out. Also, the non-white barrels had their side-count sort of fixed-in-place by the top-bottom textures and so would have required more work to "fix". Mmmm aha! Perhaps the white barrels were made so low-poly with the hope that Trespasser would support more complex physics geometry, and so the barrel was modeled to be in the form of the desired (and practical) physics shape.
Any of these are very possibly, though I would think they started with the higher-poly models and cut the sides down to increase framerate. Really wish that last bit had come true...physics boxes are perhaps my least favorite part of Tres modding.
Erm. I'm not familiar with any rockslide puzzles in Tres. The only rockslide I know of is in JPDS~testing and it's not what I am referring to with the barrels... The rocks don't knock anything over - they hit dinosaurs and potentially kill them, and you don't push them over (they suddenly fall down when the player enters a CLocationTrigger).
Yeah, JPDS~Testing has one, plus there is another that I can't remember the name of that has a couple as you walk up a cliff trail. Okay so not "many" levels, but you get the point! :P
I am hoping to see something along the lines of the trailer puzzle from the demo except where the player has to physically knock down barrels in such a way that they roll down a hill and hit something to knock it over...
What I was saying was that it would be the same manner of execution - an object is pushed and then rolls down a hill. There isn't anything where the falling object also knocks something over though, which is what I was thinking of for the Unimog puzzle.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmmm well I want to see an instance where it is the PLAYER who knocks the things down which go down hill. In JPDS~testing it is a scripted physics push which does the pushing.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Mmmm well I want to see an instance where it is the PLAYER who knocks the things down which go down hill. In JPDS~testing it is a scripted physics push which does the pushing.
That can definitely be done then! :)

Something else I've always wanted to see is a puzzle where the player has to lure a dinosaur into knocking something over so that they can proceed. There was an instance of this in the beta walkthrough where you had to make a triceratops knock down a tree to climb a ledge. If I ever get around to IJ or JR HD, I'll definitely be including such a thing somewhere.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

ImageI don't give a damn 'bout my frames per second...

Image Image

In all seriousness, though - somehow I am still getting 60 FPS almost constantly in this level, even after adding those overly high-poly groundcover objects seen in the first image with ReShade enabled. :D I've done even more optimization as well to try and keep the FPS as high as possible, and the good news is that culling away the really small objects at a distance isn't even noticeable due to the amount of foliage.

Anyhow, been pushing along to get this level finished recently. You can see the new 3D IT fence which is used for the wooden gates, the modular padlock attachments on the gate (usable anywhere!), and retextures of the palms from Lone Hunter among some other new stuff. Still need to work on the shadowing and the Jungle Gym area is so far nearly untouched, but it's coming together quite nicely. The woodchip piles you see by the Jungle Gym have no physics, but do have the terrain conformed under them to their rough shape so it seems like objects sort of sink into them, too. I really want to get this level out there so that others can (finally) check out something I've made since at this point RTJP is many, many years off. :sick: My hopes are that people can be inspired by what I've made here to really push Trespasser up to nicer graphical standards using the power of CE.

Oh, and I've decided to just stick with the current foliage I've already chosen here instead of completely restarting for that new stuff I posted a while back. Those new assets will be released on their own instead as a mod resource. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looks sweet! Quite like the underbrush model there. *wonders if he should make an extreme detail mod of JR*