Quick Question

Discuss and analyze Bill Brown’s score for Trespasser.

Moderators: scallenger, TresCom Board Managers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Quick Question

Post by TheIdiot »

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but in the game options, what does the 3D Audio setting do? I've tried using it several times and haven't been able to work out what it does. I get the feeling it's supposed to enable reverb, but I don't hear it anywhere.
Anybody want to fill me in? :P
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Re: Quick Question

Post by awesome24712 »

I'm by no means a Trespasser expert anymore, but I think 3D audio means that there is a difference between the left and right audio channels. I.e., if a raptor roars at you from the right, you hear it coming from the right. You might not here a difference though if you have bad speakers, or speakers in general. It would be noticeable if you're wearing quality headphones.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

awesome24712 wrote:I'm by no means a Trespasser expert anymore, but I think 3D audio means that there is a difference between the left and right audio channels. I.e., if a raptor roars at you from the right, you hear it coming from the right. You might not here a difference though if you have bad speakers, or speakers in general. It would be noticeable if you're wearing quality headphones.
Ah, I see. My speakers do actually output it in surround sound, meaning if the raptor is to my back right it comes through the back right and side right speakers (I have 7.1 Creative speakers with RealTek sound drivers). Same can be said for my headphones, I get the 3D effect on those too. Thanks, awesome :) .
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

awesome24712 wrote:You might not here a difference though if you have bad speakers, or speakers in general.
Only if you've placed the speakers side by side or something like that, if the speakers are well placed you'll definitely notice the effect.

Keep in mind that people begged for ATX to disable 3D support because of some problem with Windows' default A3D drivers...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files