No SOUND and chipmunk cutscenes on Windows 2000

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

JPmuldoon83
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

No SOUND and chipmunk cutscenes on Windows 2000

Post by JPmuldoon83 »

Hey guys, first post.

I already read through some of the previous posts on SOUND and was glad to see it was a relatively easy fix. However, I also noticed you had to get a patch and the link kept directing me to Geocities, which no longer exists.

So my question is, I'm running Windows 2000 on a Dell Dimension desktop, nothing crazy as far as graphics, it was my college computer and I have no choice since I've bought only Macs since then. I really would love to play the game again, with sound of course, Hammond's narration is the best part to me. Also, gotta know how much ammo I have, ya feel me?!

Secondly, not sure if the driver is just too quick, but regardless of what "quality" setting I've chosen for video in the main menu, the cut scene of "my name is John Parker Hammond etc etc" starts flying by once the DreamWorks logo comes up and all I hear is chipmunk like sounds. It's probably over in less than 5 seconds flat.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated as I really do feel the love for this groundbreaking game. I'll defend it to the death!

- Ian
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: No SOUND and chipmunk cutscenes on Windows 2000

Post by Rebel »

Welcome. The patch you're looking for is the atx_patch. Go to the main page, under patches. It's the first listing. Near the bottom of Big Red's page, you'll see the download link for the latest patch (version 2.13, I think). It's fairly easy to install, but don't hesitate to post up if you run into problems. After install, you'll need to go into the config. File and disable the dll file that causes the problem. Its detailed in the readme file that accompanies the patch.
JPmuldoon83
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JPmuldoon83 »

Now my computer is saying that Trespasser has encountered a problem and needed to close. Asks me to if I want to send an error report. I can't even get to the installation page without it closing on me automatically. Any thoughts or suggestions there?

Again, running a 2003-2004 Dell Dimension desktop with a Pentium 4 and Windows XP.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Run the setup95.exe in the setup folder can make you pass the crash.

As for the ATX patch. You need both 213.zip and trespassATX2.zip from the ATX patch site.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
JPmuldoon83
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JPmuldoon83 »

Thanks, will try that next.

I have an older Dell Dimension 4500 that I can get to run it, and I successfully ran the ATX patch, I think I just need to download the Direct X because it's still zipping through the cutscenes and I also still have no sound.

I'm not quite sure how I "turn off" a .dll I've seen the filetypes but I'm not sure which one would be associated with the sound, nor do I know how to turn it off once I do find it.

On my newer Dell, I can't even install the game because after the CD-ROM starts running it crashes instantly. That computer is faster and I'd preferably run it on that one, but again, I can't even install the game before it crashes on me. Is the setup95.exe somewhere I can get to before I install it?

Thanks for all the help thus far, it is pretty frustrating not being able to run the game.
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

setup95.exe is located in the TresCd drive/Setup folder. Most of the time it works to run the setup through that since the autorun one crash. Just run the setup95 :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
JPmuldoon83
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JPmuldoon83 »

I did try that, but once the CD started running, it would crash on me during installation.

So, at this point, I've gotten to the main screen from setup95.exe which is a step forward. I can see the big footprint and the skull in it with the options of Install, Uninstall, and Play, etc. The sound works in this menu. However, when I hit "install" the whole thing crashes and I get the same stupid error message that "trespasser encountered and problem and needed to close". I also tried running it with Windows 98 compatibility and it didn't work either.

Now as for my other CPU tower that I keep switching back to, I can play the game just fine, but it still has no sound nor were the quick cut scenes fixed. I downloaded both the ATX.exe patch and the 213.zip. I copied them into the same Trespasser folder with all the other files. I did achieve better resolution, but the sound still did not work and again, the cut scenes (which I find entertaining and part of the fun of the game) do not work. It simply scrolls through them without any sound.

So, I'm still stuck. Much appreciate the guidance thus far.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Have you tried copying the contents of the cd to your hard-drive and install from there? If you try this, it's important to remove the cd from your drive after copying its contents.
JPmuldoon83
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JPmuldoon83 »

Figured it out, I was stumped but I was able to get to the setup95.exe by right clicking and pressing open. I just assumed that it would open the CD and try to run the game and not show me the folders. Once I had that, it was a piece of cake. Thanks again for all the help guys, totally enjoying listening to John Parker Hammond haha
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Have fun 8)