crater lab complex

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

crater lab complex

Post by Remdul »

I have uploaded an early version of the model Rebel so you can try and find a good spot to place it:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/labs_v1.zip

I used a temporary texture for the parts that are not done yet. Interior still needs a lot of work, but mostly texture mapping.
Last edited by Remdul on Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sure thing. Tweakin' the texture mapping shouldn't affect setting the model up. ;)

*Link doesn't work, Martijn.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Fixed the link. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got it. :)

... and thanks for adding this :cartman: smiley!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Err... little problem with the mesh size, Rem. Too many triangles (2048 being the max. allowed), so it crashes the level. But from what I saw in TresEd the model looked great. :)

Anyhoot, may have to break your final version into two or perhaps even three pieces as you did with tunnel01.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Remdul, considering the layout a little. Quite tricky, but check out the pic below. (Note: the smaller module is separated) I also apologize for descrecrating your nice model, but it was the only method of getting the level to load and allowed me to break up the model. (The road's a bit out of line and crooked, but no, I haven't been drinking again! lol)

http://www.trespasserextras.com/craterlayout.jpg

*I rearranged this scene numerous times and this is the only setup that feels right to me.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

New Layout

Changes reflect your suggestions, Remdul. As far as the lab complex itself, this needs to be broken up some. The small building at the end of the road works, but we'll still need to break this model up some more to lessen the faces. Perhaps separate the the cracked module, stair models, antennas and top module? That oughta do it. A pain in the ass, I reckon, but necessary....

btw, there doesn't appear to be any entry door for the smaller module?
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Nope I wasn't entirely sure what was going to happen to the seperate lab part, so I didn't finish it yet. I was hoping that I could put some sort of glass walkway kind-of-a-thing, you-know-what-i-mean in between, connecting the two buildings. But since we now have a road in between there I'll have to come up with something else interesting.

Did you check on the scale of the lab? It looks kinda big compared tot the terrain/hangar...

*PS cutting the model up isn't a problem at all, I actually modeled the whole thing in pieces because I could re-use certain parts a lot. I usually merge the models to get rid of flipped faces and that pivot problem (like with the hangar remember)...
Last edited by Remdul on Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Scale might be off a little, I just got it somewhat close for layout purposes. Once I can actually walk inside the building, gauge general sizes, height, et cetera, I'll tweak it to appropriate size.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Ok. Remember that if we really need more space we can try enlarging the crater itself. I don't think that would be too hard with these new tools Andres implemented in TresEd.

Just keep playing around with it Rebel, there can be other ways to make it fit all in there.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, maybe. But the crater is actually quite large already, seems enlarging it wouldn't be too good an idea. I think everything will fit as is though, just a matter of tweaking everything to appropriate size and position.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Ok. Just tell me when you got stuff in place. :)

Then I'll move my models to the same coordinates and go on from there (like we did with the caverns), cut the model up, add stuff etc.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Might be easier like this, Rem. Download that shores.level that I uploaded for you a week or two ago if you no longer have it. Import these models at 0,0,0 coordinates. I used Anne to rescale the lab buildings, had to downsize them seven clicks in TresEd. They should be just about to true size now. Also included just the empty shell of the hanger to show position, along with the roadway I had in place (named craterpath). You should have the elevator complex already in place in one of those short levels I've uploaded, so you could just export then import back into the shores.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/craterset.ZIP

If needed, get plex shell here

*Once we get these lab models situated and get the waterfall and riverbed textures in place, I'll upload a new version of the level so that our copies of the level are in sync.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Figured since you'll be busy with the venture for a bit and I've pretty much got most major parts of the landscaping in the ballpark (I've added about 800 objects since my upload and most of that involved bringing the landscaping up near the locales of our ship and b29, so once we import those I'll work in what remains) I'd slip back into the crater. Maybe tomorrow after work I'll import our hanger, layout the roadways, and I assume that even though you'll be breaking up the lab complex that shouldn't stop me from placing the sub-objects in place using the prototype of the model, right? Locale oughta come out pretty damn good, Rem. Like your artists concept pic, I'll figure on a truck on the side of the hanger (crater entrance side) and give the surrounding area some basic detail. We pretty much know where our fencing area will be (shown in pic of earlier post), so I'll just stay away from the area between the hanger and smaller lab building.

Pic just below is ingame as shown in our layout. (Note that the collasped portion of lab building is on roadside)

Entering Crater Pic Here

The two pics below is with the main lab complex turned 180 which is how you envisioned it in your artists concept, the collasped lab unit pointed to the backside of the craterwalls. Think the two pics below and the positioning is better and more closely matches your original ideas. Like the alternate positioning below better too?

http://www.trespasserextras.com/crater1.jpg

http://www.trespasserextras.com/crater2.jpg
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Looks good Rebel. If you want you can also plant some trees along the crater wall, and some tree stumps in between the buildings. Should look as if they build the complex there to hide it from the world.