RTJP (original thread) - OUTDATED

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

RTJP (original thread) - OUTDATED

Post by TheIdiot »

THIS POST IS OUTDATED AND WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATED. IT REPRESENTS A HIGHLY OUTDATED VERSION OF RTJP WHICH HAS BEEN COMPLETELY ABANDONED IN FAVOUR OF THE CURRENT VERSION. PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD FOR THE CONTINUATION OF THE PROJECT:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=11004
Last edited by TheIdiot on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:26 am, edited 18 times in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Return to Jurassic Park - New Isla Nublar Mod

Post by Rebel »

Sounds and looks like a very ambitious project, give it hell. From what you've done so far, it looks pretty good. The travel by car, I don't quite get though, but maybe you've got some razmatas even I never thought of. You are using the tree engine, right?
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

Now THIS is what I've been hoping to see with my various model releases over the years. Didn't have the experience when I had time to build the entire island and then once I gained the experience and skill, I never had the time :P It's looking good so far!

And Rebel, I think he means fast travel kinda like the bus stations in FarCry 2, where you selected a location and a short fade out to black and back in occurs and you are at the bus station you selected. I had actually considered something similar when I realized how big the scale of the island is.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:The travel by car, I don't quite get though, but maybe you've got some razmatas even I never thought of. You are using the tree engine, right?
Yup, 100% Tres engine! The fast travel system will be very simple; basically, there will be old, worn down cars at locations around the perimeter of the island that Diane will say "look in working condition" or such. Then, if she is able to find some tool / solve some puzzle, she is able to repair the car and will be able to enter it, which will teleport her to the next destination in a clockwise manner around the island. Once one car is repaired, the others all work fine too. Really simple solution! :)

And hppav, I owe a TON to you. Especially for that Visitor Center and Raptor Pit, I tried modelling them both and just couldn't achieve anything at all since I suck at complex structures. If you happen to have any other Isla Nublar models, I would be extremely grateful to use them! I'm actually curious, do you still have that old Visitor Center from JPO with the control room as well? I know there's absolutely no way I could model any of that stuff myself. The most I can do is maybe (sorry hppav) destroy parts of the VC model so it looks like it does after Rexy does his damage in JP:TG.

Anyway, I'll get working a bit on the mod during the weekend. I want to start building the rest of the fences and maybe try and model the restrooms, concrete moats and a few scenery objects. Most of my construction focus will be on Sector #1 and the Visitor Compound right now. I've got the Medium Fences (Triceratops Paddock) made, with a gate section and everything. It looks awesome! I even have some ideas for Easter eggs already, one of them throwing back to JPDS which was (obviously) an enormous source of inspiration for me.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Yeah, I still have that. Box is being a bit, well, uncooperative right now, won't let me upload it for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow. I also have a mostly finished part of the second floor with the control room, genetics lab, and the curved room the theater slides along. Neither version of the control room has physics meshes, however. Never got that far with either of them. Most of my models are on the other computer unfinished. I'll have to go through and see what I can salvage from there.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

hppav
I appreciate it, and there's no rush at all. I'm glad to have any help at all. The physics for the second floor don't matter, I should be able to do that considering its just a bunch of boxes. It'd be nice to have even a complete Visitor Center, even if it wasn't all that detailed since I can at least model small details here and there. Like I said, any models would be a huge favor. :P
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by KillerBee256 »

Are you going to use the Operation genesis dinosaurs?
Fear the frog....
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Are you going to use the Operation genesis dinosaurs?

Does that answer your question? Rexy here is one of the four dinosaurs I have imported so far - Troodon, Velociraptor, Triceratops and the Queen herself - though I plan to give the Troodon 3D, glowing eyes as well using CEntityAttached since I can't seem to modify dinosaur models without screwing something up.

I've been working away for the day since I ended up stuck at home because of the snow. I've added in a few more areas, built up some more fencing, places some roads and experimented a bit with triggers. I managed to create a trigger (after four hours of BS) that fires once the power is turned on and causes the lights on the fences, gates and Raptor Pit to flash like in the movie, and have just finished implementing triggers that cause sparks to shoot out of broken fences every few seconds. Its a small change that makes a huge difference, and once I come up with a Utility Shed model and set up the breakers (which will have modified names and the ability to switch on and off), you'll be able to turn the power off and on as you need it.

Some new images of development and a lot of information:
Spoiler: show
Pretty obvious what this one is. In game, Rexy will actually be able to kill you by stepping on you if I can get her feet to do damage using physics boxes. The Raptors will also have minor skin variations to make things interesting. I plan on doing variations of the Triceratops model, one with maybe a broken horn and a young version. Most of the herbivores will have young running about - prime targets for the predators (or, for the crafty adventurer, a cheap distraction). However, the most dangerous animal here may well be the Troodon. When a Troodon bites you, your FOV will be decreased over time, a heartbeat sound will be heard as you lose health and eventually you will die a horrible death. Fortunately, there will be ways to heal yourself and become immune to the bite. Dilophosaurs will have a similar but less deadly effect, as will dinosaurs (RANDOMLY!) infected with DX Disease.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
The roads leading to and around the East Dock, where Nedry met his sticky grave. You can see the hill he crashed on next to the game logo. The road that goes through the tunnel comes out very near the East Dock. The road on the left that seems to end at random is actually like that because there will be a bridge over the Jungle River there.
Click on Image
The medium sized fence model, I haven't placed any on the island yet but they will be used for the North Triceratops Paddock and possibly the Metriacanthosaurus and Baryonyx paddocks as well.
Click on Image
Another small change I made to those friggen brilliant Nublar models by hppav, I replaced the mural of the Brachiosaurs which I felt was slightly out of place with a more artistic looking version. I haven't decided if I want to make the murals very slightly transparent yet, but it may or may not happen.
Click on Image
A view from the newly-added Raptor pit looking towards the Park. I decided to make the Pit look worn down, as if the jungle was bursting back out from it. There will be something important in the Pit of course, maybe a sort of mini-boss battle will happen down there.
Click on Image
This image is almost as basic as can be, but this is where Hammond says "There it is!", with the big rock sticking up. Obviously, there's no ocean at this early stage yet. The little canyon in the middle will be home to an amber mine, which will simply act as eye candy and hold a few useful items.
Click on Image
Lastly, another map image, this time in-game displaying most of the worked on roads and fences, as well as building locations. Note that most of this is just to give you an idea as to the scale of the map; not too big, but not too small! It takes about 7 minutes to walk from the Helipad to Visitor Center, and that's without puzzles and dinosaur encounters. I remember in the old, crappy version it typically took me 18 minutes to get to the Visitor Center, having to fight off dinosaurs and the like. I'm exciting myself already...
Click on Image
More work coming up tonight! I'll be doing a bit of random triggerwork in the meantime. :)

EDIT: I'm having a bit of an issue preforming a Full SWP Update. GeomAdd doesn't come up with any errors and it doesn't look like I'm missing any textures. Any help here? Before the update I have 3.9MB of space used and 41 palettes, while after the update I only have 2.7MB used and 36 palettes, mostly due to me changing old textures or accidentally importing without changing palettes.

By the way, I managed to create a nice fire effect out of muzzle flashes for the Main Gate which only happens when the power is on. I'm thinking of working on the East Dock over the weekend, which would mean a few new models so I can make it like JP:TG. Kind of sucks that they showed it in the game as being so small compared to the East Dock level's version...I actually preferred that version, maybe I'll add in some references. Plus, I made a new skin for Diane, with a black tank top and a camouflage green shirt underneath.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Wow, this place is quiet! Anyhow, I did a bit more work on the island and the textures, I'm debating if I want the game to be bright and sunny with the original textures I was using or foggier and darker like I have it right now. It makes everything much more mysterious and overall darker - the original tone I was trying to set.

A view from the East Dock, custom building on the left (no physics). This was the building from JP:TG that Barney (the dock guard) was sitting in, I refer to it as the "Customs Office". I have much more to do, but I decided to place some foliage at full density to see how it would look with only the plants from the East Dock level. It looks good so far in my opinion. :) The dock has a few more custom models I need to make for the edges and a new dock itself and it is nowhere near finished.
Click on Image
Just another view of the helipad, showing off the new environment and a few textures I took from TC Isle. I need to make the grass a bit brighter, but other than that it's looking good. I especially like the new roads I managed to come up with. It really looks awesome when you come around that corner and out of the fog comes the Perimeter Fence and some dramatic music I threw in for testing plays (and even better when the power is on and the lights are flashing).
Click on Image
Still working away hard, tell me which environment you prefer! Sunny or dreary? If it's going to be foggy there can be random triggers to make it start / stop raining, accompanied by thunder sounds and the like - I want to create something innovative with this mod (friggen JPDS patented so much awesome stuff :p )
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

The movies tended to use fog as a means of driving up tension. It would switch between sunny and clear and dark and dreary to set the mood for whatever scene was coming up.

It's been a while since I played with fog, but I was certain there was some trigger values that could adjust fog settings and I think JPDS uses it. The change can be a bit jarring though, if I remember right. You could try to do something similar to what Draco did in East Dock to transition between rain and no rain, which is having 2D planes set to always face the player that have a texture on them to ease the transition into the fog change. If they all have animated textures though, like the ones in East Dock, having too many can cause the engine to slow down.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

The JPDS mod got a few of those planned things in it, like food for health etc. Worth checking out the scripts in it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

hppav
I noticed! I always wondered why the island would randomly fog up in between scenes when I was little. In the end I've decided not to use a foggy island for the time being (or at least until the friggen thing will do a Full SWP Update, which it STILL won't - if anybody thinks they can fix this, I'll send them the level if need be), though I have an idea as to how I could cause realistic fog changes. There would be a trigger to set the fog whenever you enter / exit an area, kind of like an EAX environment change trigger. When you pass through it, the fog would get denser / sparser in a series of steps. There could be, say, five action groups in the trigger, and each one makes the fog slightly closer so it seems to "close in" on you.

TECHNICAL JARGON, click "show spoiler" if you are interested in that kind of thing:
This could be an advantage if I were to make it storm; there would be a trigger set to randomly fire while outdoors that would cause it to rain or stop raining using Boolean triggers and lots of complicated scripting. Then, while the storm is happening, this sort of fog trigger would cause it to get foggy and dark. And as long as it's storming, there could be a random set of triggers to make the fog "jump" quickly farther and then closer again - accompanied by thunder sounds - to simulate lightning. Seems possible...I already have the framework to do it since it kind of works like turning the power off and on which I have implemented already.
tatu
That's where I'm getting a lot of ideas from, to be honest. It's a massive source of inspiration, though I'm trying to make all my triggers myself - I'll probably default to JPDS eventually though. :P

On the subject of the health system, here's the full plan so far...
There will be various items of food lying around the Park in logical places - a can of Coke here and there, tons of food in Les Gigantes, meat in the freezer - but these items will mostly be rotten and will restore a bit of Diane's health while also decreasing the maximum limit until another item is eaten, creating a sort of bonus / penalty system. Of course, there will be good food, like coconuts, wild berries and - for the hardcore - wild animals, which can be killed and will deposit food for Diane. Wild animals being birds, fish and imported livestock, as dinosaurs eat YOU instead. Also, you will be able to find First Aid Kits to restore your standard HP (100), and Pain Pills, which will cause your HP to slowly regenerate over time for a short period. I probably missed something else, but you get the idea.

However, there will be other issues which I will explain another time since this post is getting long. :P

For those of you who DON'T care about the technical aspect but want to see something that makes you go "ooh, aah" , here are some screenies of some more work (click "show spoiler", as always):
A shot of yesterday's East Dock foliage test, without many of today's additions. I think I'm going to be detailing these sort of areas first and then filling in all the other land later. It looks extremely cool when you're walking around in the dense jungles, and suddenly the Perimeter Fence appears hidden in the foliage (and, perhaps, some form of carnivorous dinosaur). Note that since I took these images, there has been a ton of stuff added to this general area, including the Perimeter Fence moving all the way up the mountain and the two roads continuing on north.
Click on Image
A closer view of a very early version of Nedry's Clearing. I spent a while making the Jeep textures look worn and rusty and it overall turned out looking pretty good. The seats on the inside are torn and frayed as well. For those of you who are wondering why the Jeep is parked at the base of the hill, JPTG explains this. Unfortunately, it ruins what would've been a pretty neat view of the Jeep resting on top of the hill.
Click on Image
And here's a picture of the road continuing up the mountain from Nedry's Clearing. This road leads further up and links with the road to the East Dock at the top of the mountains. From there, you can access the Tour Road to the T-rex Paddock. I think. :lol:
Click on Image
Finally, something pretty intriguing - this was the island map from the old Alpha version I made, which was oriented wrong and very deformed looking. I figured I'd show you it since it looks pretty cool and shows the original design I had made. Perhaps the Mountaintop Station will make it back in RTJP. The Iguanodon Inn, however, will not be returning. :( You'll also see the Baryonyx logo I made based on the original JP3 logo design, and the difference in roads. This map, however, was not 100% accurate as it was trying to emulate the tour map in the movie.
Click on Image
Now, back to real life! :D
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Who's ready for a quick (not really) status update?! Been busy with South Park: The Stick of Truth since it came out, and I'm loving it, and I've just stopped now to give some information to you folks. :)

So, the other day I was comparing my heightmap with that of the reference image I was using and realized that it...well...sucked. Or at least around the coast. So I spent about an hour fine-tuning it to be more of the actual shape of the island and in the end it turned out pretty nice; I'll post images later. You can actually overlay it with the island map and it comes pretty close - not perfect (yet), but close!

At the same time, I've been planning out and starting to get ideas of how I want the Safari Lodge to look, which is something I've just started working on after moving away from the East Dock for a breather. I'm using concept art for the general area, where the Explorers would drive guests up from the Visitor Center, cross a large marble bridge (something I have modelled already) overlooking the South Brachiosaur Paddock, and drop them off in front of the reception building (seen just to the left of the canyon). From there, they would get their room keys and go to live at one of many small cottages next door, which will be based on an image from that Ipod game, Jurassic Park: Builder. Not all the buildings in the image will be included, of course - I think one of the ones on the right side may be put to use as an apartment facility. I might get to modelling some cottages or the reception hall tonight if I'm not too tired. Had a really shitty day that just keeps getting worse so I'm hoping to distract myself with some RTJP. :p

By the way, is there any Trespasser veteran on here who might be able to get the fog to change color after being triggered to do so WITHOUT minimizing the game? I have an idea for a day/night cycle. Also, is there a way to make an object render in full quality while fogged without the fog obscuring it? :o

And now back to South Park.

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot. I modelled some clutter for the Gift Shop in the Visitor Center. I made that little rack in the middle, "The Making of Jurassic Park" book, a lunchbox, a novelty cup and a couple of plushie dinosaurs. The one gripe is that they can't be moved, or else the TresEngine flips out and crashes. Oh well.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

*crickets* Uh...hello? This is like the quietest forum of all time! :P I hope you guys don't murder me for the triple post since there hasn't been any activity on this topic for a while. Which I admit is slightly disheartening. :(

I haven't really got too much work done on this mod recently, I've been extremely busy and tired all the time. However, I did manage to take a few more screenshots for you guys just to keep people interested.
The new, really crappy restroom model I made the other day. I haven't given it new textures for the walls yet, but they'll end up looking much more worn and gritty. I'll probably actually just redo this model because I really don't like the way it turned out. Period. There IS an interior but it's not quite finished and probably won't be. At this point, I'm considering requesting a modeler to help with complicated structures since I suck at them. :p
Click on Image
This is the road continuing into the East Mountain Range from the East Dock and Nedry's Clearing. I'm contemplating making this particular area more gray and rocky so there can be a change in scenery. There is also a little stream running down from the top of the mountain on the right that you can't see from this angle.
Click on Image
Here's the gift shop with decorations as I mentioned before. There are only three new textures used for all this stuff, though I might make a fourth so I can have an extra book, lunchbox and cup. Everything is extremely low poly so the game doesn't explode when I enter the room - in fact, I still get like 36 FPS in there. Though it's probably from all of hppav's optimization he did on the VC model. :p
Click on Image
And here is something I really think looks cool, even at a very basic stage. These two bridges allow access to the plateau the Safari Lodge will be located on. Only problem is I misjudged the height of the railings so I'll have to go back and modify that. Also, I think I may make one of the bridges broken and the other blocked off so you have to solve some sort of puzzle to reach the Lodge. Maybe throw in an attack by Rexy just to add in some fun. :lol:
Click on Image
And just another shot demonstrating the jungle setting. How's it look? This is just up the road from the ledge Nedry crashes his Jeep on. I might add that white fence later if I have time.
Click on Image
Lastly, the changes made to the heightmap. Looks a lot more accurate, doesn't it? The bottom part really made a big difference I think. Having someone who can model could probably improve the bridges even further from what I came up with, but that's not a priority. If there are any willing modelers, keep an eye on the main post!
Click on Image
That's it for now, still looking for the solution to that bloody SWP update thing! Ugh! I really want to add in my new terrain textures and make a foggy environment that the game can actually load without crashing the instant the level starts! Frakin' Tres...
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Looks pretty good so far, but I would like to point out that there's two islands in the Gift Shop. There's also a small pile of boxes on the far right side of the Gift Shop which makes it look like it was just set up for the visit. Here's a compilation of a few screenshots of the Gift Shop I had that helps illustrate it for you.
GiftShopCombined.jpg
GiftShopCombined.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 39998 times
And here's a close up shot of the boxes, which I doubt would be still stacked straight after a long time.
RestaurantGS46.JPG
RestaurantGS46.JPG (35.68 KiB) Viewed 39998 times
Also your Nublar terrain is looking very good 8)