Remaking Trespasser (Released) / Jp:Aftermath

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Remaking Trespasser

Post by Hilwo »

I don't know much about art, but I do know what I like 8)
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

I cannot watch some of you videos on YouTube since you use UMG music. But the pictures are so good... I wonder if its the engine, your modelling skill or both. The ambient occlusion shadows are pretty obvious, but otherwise it feels quite moody and natural on the outside. Just the shaded indoor scenes still look a bit flat.
What's your thought on AI? Certainly the dinosaur simulation approach in Trespasser didn't quite show through in the final product and things were scripted anyways, like "stay within x meters of this". On the other hand the interview with the lead developer showed through that they had planned at least a group of raptors that's only curious, but not aggressive. Also you can hurt aggressive raptors enough to make them run without killing them. Can the CryEngine simulate these two AI states?
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by vagrantart »

mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Works! The AI does a good job chasing you through those cars. And you tried hard not to kill it and look panicking. :mrgreen:
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

MOUTH DROPS OPEN!

Please tell me you will release a playable beta of this VERY soon! I'm not pressuring you, but I just have ALWAYS wanted to just walk around the visitor center and surrounding grounds of JP as beautifully depicted by you... and it's like my dream has come true! I wouldn't care if there weren't even any dinosaurs! In fact, my own suggestion, when you are completely done with it entirely, to perhaps release two versions: a story version like you are already doing with dinosaurs attacking you, and an "explorer" version with maybe no dinosaurs attacking you or anything. Unless you are able to implement a "dinos"-type cheat in this game too that freezes the dinos in place as you walk around. Just a thought!

I'm still also hoping someone will find a way to create a river raft type sequence for a JP game that flows naturally into the Nublar setting. ;)

I can't wait to see more detail inside the visitor center, like going into the kitchen, the cafe/gift shop, lab/hatchery, etc. But as it stands right now... I want to just walk around what I already see in the video!

Also... still interested in seeing a playable version of your Trespasser project that you had started here. Plan on releasing what you did complete for it (since I guess it's put aside for now)? Personally, though, I am much happier you made the switch to do a something Nublar-based. ;)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Is all that was in the video everything you've done so far or just a sneak peek?
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I'm thinking of putting in the invisible wall around an area an releasing that as a sort of demo,its still a fair size (from the jp gates to the raptor pit and also including the visitor centre),that whole area has roads in place and just needs vegetation and the electric shed.The visitor centre is so far just what you see, I was going to build things in sections gradually since its so heavy on using reference it can be a bit of a chore.I don't know what to do with the trespasser version,I can pull out the hotel model and make it closer to the concept for this but there's still a lot of small stuff to make it functional even as a environment demo.
I had a few other areas done but working non stop for a while so didn't want to wait another month or more to release this,the Trex paddock an jungle was mostly in place (you can see the tunnel/fence a bit in the video but wanted to add the signs and toilet!) and I started work on rivers (also tested the cryengine playable boat but it wouldn't work on rapids really).I had a whole night scene for the video but it was too dark in the video so took it out.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Random question but does anyone have reference for the visitor centre dining room / kitchen that I might have missed? (other than screengrabs from the movie),in particular the painting and just the layout of the room. I'm not starting those areas just yet but looking into how it will be set up,also just out of interest what where would you like to visit in the park (other than visitor centre) what would you want to go to?.Trying to figure out my next steps basically.

Been an interesting few days thanks to rock,paper shotgun http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ... h-trailer/ and IGN! http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/15/f ... -promising
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

The dining room I made is pretty accurate, albeit unfinished.:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9517

The shots in there should give you a pretty good start.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9593/vcfloor1.jpg
And this is a map of what I was planning for my VC. The "Presentation Theater" is my own idea, it's a room with a stage and the like on the first floor. The idea comes from the book version of the VC and the in-movie map of the first floor indicates a rather large room in that spot. The Receiving/Warehouse is a bit of speculation on my part because it's clear a building the size of the VC would have some form of loading dock, and the most likely place would be near the refrigerators for the restaurant's kitchen.

The main hall in my version was enlarged to better fit the exterior as seen in the movie, so the scale isn't to movie accuracy for that room. The security room is actually from the JP game that Telltale made. The cafe is to movie scale though and is the correct layout for the room so it should help you get the shape down.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Cool,I did notice there were double doors next to the freezer in the kitchen so will have to put something there.The dining room patio/windows is going to be awkward..since it should really show outside.I think I might make the back of the exterior VC inaccessible that would make all those kitchen windows / patio not an issue.I decided early on not to have a garage in the VC for a few reasons - its now located to the right of the VC,the car tracks lead off to the right and the curve into a garage building not far from the electric shed and opposite right from the raptors pit.This fills in a sort of blank area and adds something to explore (I just couldn't see the cars coming out the visitor centre and im going to lead the tracks right into the garage with a turning platform)

Oh one thing I was thinking- where do they keep the farm animals? the cows and goats? and how did that goat pop up in the trex paddock? there must've been like at least a tunnel underground or some sort of feeding point (I doubt will I will tackle that one,hate underground tunnel levels in games)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

The breaker box in the movie lists "Carnivore Feeding Compound" and "Herbivore Feeding Compound." There's no description of these areas in the movie, but the novel does describe them as being largely automated. I believe the cows and sheep were kept in an outdoor paddock near the Visitor Center in the novel, but I may be mistaken... The herbivore compounds were sheds which were filled with bales of food designed for each herbivore which would be pulled out of the shed via a conveyor system.
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

I just finished reading the novel a few weeks ago. But i can't remember any mentions about the cows and sheep. About the herbivore compounds you are right. They are located inside the herbivore paddoc's and operate automaticly on a timer or by command. Much like how the feeding machine from operation genesis worked.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I thought it was when they were first heading out to the raptor pen out behind the Visitor Center, it was a brief mention like one sentence, somewhere around where the sound of the generator in the maintenance shed is described.

That is assuming I'm remembering the book correctly. It's been years since I sat down and read it cover to cover.
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

I looked it up. Your memory serves us good :)

"The velociraptors haven't been integrated into the park setting just yet. We keep them in a holding pen." Page 114
'Grand walked with Ellie and Malcon around the back of the main bulding, with the kid tagging along.' Page 115
'They left the visitor area behind, and soon they heard the load hum of generators, smelled the faint odor of gasoline. They passed a grove of palm trees and saw a large, low concrete shed with a steel roof. The noise seemed to come from there. They looked in the shed. "It must be a generator," Ellie said. "It's big," Grand said, peering inside. The power plant actually extended two stories below ground level: a vast complex of whining turbines and piping ran down in the earth, lit by harsh electric bulbs. "They can't need all this just for a resort," Malcom said. "They're generating enough power here for a small city."
"Maybe for the computers?" "Maybe." Grand heard bleating, and walked north a few yards. He came to an animal enclosure with goats. By a quick count, he estimated there were fifty or sixty goats.' Page 116

cheers
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Any progress on this?