IT Beta - hppav and Draco's research thread (From Tresgame)

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

IT Beta - hppav and Draco's research thread (From Tresgame)

Post by tatu »

hppav wrote:Copying over some of our research from the Ops forum:
hppav wrote:I decided to go take a look at the vegetation under the ground in IT.

This image shows the most obvious lines and what could have been the layout:
However, after trying to recreate the roads, some trees were in the way of some of the potential routes, however after some fiddling, Draco and I think we've figured out some of the original layout:

It's amazing that they left all the vegetation under there, really helps us piece things together.

EDIT: Draco thinks the angled straight lines of vegetation may actually be indicative of the locations of angled fences/concrete walls and that the town is actually 3 blocks by 4 blocks. I'll let him describe his theory himself :P
Draconisaurus wrote:Sam and I have been discussing this fervently in messenger. It's quite an awesome find and I've been building on it.

Introducing, the full sidewalk system of Burroughs! Sam likes how evenly it works out, and admits that the angled foliage on the far right may be from town barriers rather than angular roads.

There is an odd jump in the sidewalk, here:

Seems like they tried to make it look like damage from the fallen water tower, but the ENTIRE sidewalk shifts at this point. Also, the lowest road of the town does not match my new sidewalk system. This would all need to be adjusted. It would also bring the road closer to the front steps of the Ops Center, but also means things like the gas station would need to be adjusted accordingly.
Slugger wrote:I like it. How does the road leading to the gate connect? And the road extending off to the left of the Ops Center, where would that lead?
hppav wrote:
Slugger wrote:I like it. How does the road leading to the gate connect?
That's not readily apparent from the vegetation. I'd imagine it would link up with one of the T intersections.
Slugger wrote:And the road extending off to the left of the Ops Center, where would that lead?
There's supposed to be another gate over there. This gate was cut sometime just before Build 96 (the map in the Ops center, despite sporting the revised town layout, still shows the old terrain and the old corner gate. Here's a screen shot that Draco took:

It also still shows that you enter the town from that gate that's blocked in retail.
Draconisaurus wrote:OMG you're right! The two roads which actually lead away from the town in that image are the West and NorthEast gates.. I didn't notice.
Anyway, yeah, in the beta, not even the NorthEast gate road actually connects to the town road system, yet. The PV road actually starts inside the town walls.
tatu wrote:About the map in the ops center, the difference retail - beta

Retail:

Beta:

Difference:

Those house were cut off sometime before the Build 96 since there terrian texture is still in the game, atleast some of them.

And what about that F gate?

They planned on a G gate, were would that be? In the Plains?

Retail:

Here they got the F gate, but why didn't the cut it out of the texture before it's release?

Another difference in IT is Wus pool

Retail:

Beta:

Draco can tell you more about the grass texture
DracoAlphaX wrote:That is odd about the G gate.. And tatu, there are a lot more console displays than that, look underground for the objects which have the other ones. There might be some other differences.

And yes, as for the grass texture, I'll be discussing that in my "Base terrain evolution" thread.
tatu wrote:There isn't any more different textures. Only ones that now showing the where the power goes etc..
DracoAlphaX wrote:

Code: Select all

string Anim00 = "SMap0_t2.bmp"
    string Anim01 = "SMap01_t2.bmp"
    string Anim02 = "SMap02_t2.bmp"
    string Anim03 = "SMap03_t2.bmp"
    string Anim04 = "SMap04_t2.bmp"
    string Anim05 = "SMap012_t2.bmp"
    string Anim06 = "SMap013_t2.bmp"
    string Anim07 = "SMap014_t2.bmp"
    string Anim08 = "SMap0123_t2.bmp"
    string Anim09 = "SMap01234_t2.bmp"
    string Anim10 = "SMap0124_t2.bmp"
    string Anim11 = "SMap0134_t2.bmp"
    string Anim12 = "SMap023_t2.bmp"
    string Anim13 = "SMap0234_t2.bmp"
    string Anim14 = "SMap024_t2.bmp"
    string Anim15 = "SMap034_t2.bmp"
These textures are somewhere... Not sure exactly what model they're on, though.
tatu wrote:I post those texture later Draco!

There is a trigger that should frozen these 2 objects so you can easely get upstairs.

The triggers name is "TrigBanisterCollision-00" and is located under Hammonds house.
Tscript:

Code: Select all

group TrigBanisterCollision-00 = {
    string Class = "CCollisionTrigger"
    string Element1 = "P1Railtop2Bridge-00"
    string Element2 = "FHHBannister-00"
    int ActionType = 10
    string Target = "P1Railtop2Bridge-00"
    bool Frozen = true
}
The only thing is that it would never worked. Tho Draco have to tell you about it!
DracoAlphaX wrote:Lol. Yeah that railing is on an XFree magnet, which means in this case that it can only go up-and-down like a see-saw, and never side-to-side... Does this mean they once wanted it to actually swivel over to the side like that? It certainly couldn't in its current position and state. Perhaps it was meant to be shorter, and spinning atop a railing column..
Nick3069 wrote:Appart from the general layout of the town, the most striking difference, for me, is the map in Hammond's office; it's a table instead of a wall map.
Rexhunter99 wrote:
Nick3069 wrote:Appart from the general layout of the town, the most striking difference, for me, is the map in Hammond's office; it's a table instead of a wall map.
I think Draco, myself and some others unofficially settled for calling it "Monopoly: Isla Sorna Edition" XD
Beta:
Isn't that the beta IJ base terrain texture I see under Wu's pool tiles!?
tatu wrote:
Rexhunter99 wrote:Isn't that the beta IJ base terrain texture I see under Wu's pool tiles!?
Yes it is
DracoAlphaX wrote:Yeah Lol it's not just for IJ :P There are MANY images of different jungle levels using that base terrain.
Anna wrote:That's interesting! Also with WUs pool texture. I better like that texture, than the one in the retail :P.
Rexhunter99 wrote:
DracoAlphaX wrote:Yeah Lol it's not just for IJ :P There are MANY images of different jungle levels using that base terrain.
Notice I was reffering to the Beta IJ we have, I wasn't saying that it was the only level that ever had the texture.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Re: IT Beta - hppav and Draco's research thread (From Tresga

Post by tatu »

To bring back an old topic, which a friend of mine hinted. Here are the full layout of the road by June 1998.

Discuss!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Wow, this topic was old... like 3 years without activity.

So, I guess the monorail terminus was meant to be located near thet other gate on the top left of the image?
Or the one near the top right, where that road leads? (the landslide apppears to be close to the latter)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:Wow, this topic was old... like 3 years without activity.

So, I guess the monorail terminus was meant to be located near thet other gate on the top left of the image?
Or the one near the top right, where that road leads? (the landslide apppears to be close to the latter)
The gate at the top left is marked as the level end in the max file (an object that doesn't gets exported), while there is an teleport objects at the retail ending to plains say end.

There is no monorail in either max files, and I don't think they ever had one in the town either. The top right would probably end somewhere in the gorge in IJ.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: The gate at the top left is marked as the level end in the max file (an object that doesn't gets exported), while there is an teleport objects at the retail ending to plains say end.
Makes sense, less wasted space in the Plains if you exit through there...
There is no monorail in either max files, and I don't think they ever had one in the town either. The top right would probably end somewhere in the gorge in IJ.
No, but it was supposed to end near the Town. In the PH texture, you can see what we suspect is the landslide near that entrance to the Town. Not IJ, but PH...

BTW, with this old JR terrain, now the light-colored "blot" near the lower right corner of this image matched the original position and orientation of the mountains/hills going out from Mt. Crick...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:No, but it was supposed to end near the Town. In the PH texture, you can see what we suspect is the landslide near that entrance to the Town. Not IJ, but PH...
Isee. Doesn't the walkthrough mention something about a landslide blocking the way to the town?
machf wrote:BTW, with this old JR terrain, now the light-colored "blot" near the lower right corner of this image matched the original position and orientation of the mountains/hills going out from Mt. Crick...
That's good. I wonder if anything of the layout in the beta and retail JR terrain comes from PH, doubt it tho.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: Isee. Doesn't the walkthrough mention something about a landslide blocking the way to the town?
That's what leads to think that the brown splotch is the landslide near the town...
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

The east exit is something i figured out a long time ago, i had a whole bunch of images that recreated the original town, but i had a system reboot and i lost it all. This was just after i posted my findings on that PH texture file. The design doc explains it all pretty clearly.

The objective of PH was to locate the passcode for the gate to the town. There were clues that said an alternative camp location was the Plantation House itself. There was also a voiceover for Hammond that said "the hunting party carried the passcodes for the perimeter fences". This would have been enough clues for players to seek out the Plantation House and find a dead hunter who had the passcode. Once through the gate though, the landslide blocked access to the town and the only option was to enter IJ.

The best find ever would be a max file for PH. Its one thing to estimate layouts from that texture file, but it would be great to see what the elevation was, so we could see if it was quite open or if there was lots of valleys and hills.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'm guessing it was the latter, but of course I'd like to see the actual thing too...
tatu

Post by tatu »

I have no clue who did work on PH. I only got information of who made the PH building and that dev didn't have anything saved. But I think there is still possibility that one could pop up one day.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

tatu wrote:To bring back an old topic, which a friend of mine hinted. Here are the full layout of the road by June 1998.

Discuss!

That's kinda cool. I see the park with the statue has a circular texture rather than a + one as well.

So you are saying you got a partial MAX file of the Town level with triggers, fencing, and ground textures? That's pretty cool.

According to the 1997 walkthrough that upper left gate was the original end, which would lead out towards a hill where rain destroys the road so Anne would have to walk further out and jump on some rocks or something to get into the Plains. Since the triggers were moved to the place we leave the town in the retail, then that means this is after they cut the Plains down to the valley with the Dam, but before they made it part of the Town level.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
tatu

Post by tatu »

Based on information in the max file, the Ops building and Saloon are new buildings, probably new versions of old ones.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

tatu wrote:Based on information in the max file, the Ops building and Saloon are new buildings, probably new versions of old ones.
Probably new low poly versions. I imagine as development continued, the models were gradually more and more optimized. Like the textures, it would be great to see the original hi poly models.

The raptor used for the box art is a good example. It was probably straight from ILM, then they reduced the poly count till it was less than one of its teeth ;-)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm, so this is the closets I can find to an ongoing IT research thread. But, this morning I had chance to look at the infamous JP banner trailer texture up-close, and noticed something a bit odd. The shape of the logo wasn't quite right. Indeed, it does seem right, but for The Lost World logo.
TPass002.BMP
TPass002.BMP (1.37 MiB) Viewed 6559 times
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Without need of Photoshop comparison, it seems clear that the DWI staff took the new The Lost World logo, cut out the lower text hang, and pasted fresh Jurassic Park text into the main bar. Why would they do this? Among reasons I can think of, the graphics editor assigned to the job had a TLW logo more readily available, and simply used it instead. Alternately: this wasn't the modern day of grab-whatever-you-like-from-Google. Possibly Universal sent them a very limited graphics package for the small license they purchased, and it was seen as necessary to use this and not attempt to acquire copyrightten articles from the first film. They seem to have been sensitive about this at at least some point, seeing as this texture and its entire trailer version was ultimately removed from the retail release.

As for why an alternate island map is shown here, even while Hammond's study/map-room has a wall-mounted 3D map of Isla Del Cocos, I couldn't say.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I've noticed that one in the past, too. However I don't think they simply edited the TLW logo down - the Lost World logo is invariably seen in that "cracked" style, which this isn't. Though the larger bottom part does look TLW-ish. Perhaps this was an early version of the TLW logo that they edited?

I always assumed that the alternate island map image was meant to be Isla Nublar in Trespasser's canon. They didn't use the film's Isla Sorna, so it makes sense to me that their depiction of Isla Nublar would be different, too, despite the shape of the island being well-known in both film and book.