Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Help with a level, a green level

Post by Revs »

Hey all, i am planning on making a fake trailer for "Trespasser HD". I am using video editing software to give the illusion that the old game has enhanced effects, such as realistic muzzle flashes,new skyboxes, dinosaur headshots etc. I essentially need a level that is a green room, and i mean like 0 255 0 green, with a couple of guns on the floor. Is it possible to make such a level that i could load and play in trespasser?

I was experimenting with TresEd but i couldnt get my head round it :S

Any help would be great!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Help with a level, a green level

Post by machf »

I made one that used a blue (0,0,255) background, try that...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Revs »

Ah thanks, blue will work just as good, where can i find this level?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Revs »

Hey sorry but.. how do import a weapon into the level?

Thanks
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, get TresEd and GeomAdd, and import them in the same way as the dinosaurs (export them from TresEd, import them with GeomAdd, move them around with TresEd).
Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Revs »

Hello again, long time no post! I am still making the video, I've been busy IRL. Well, I did what you said and exported using TresEd ( I exported the gun model as a 3DS format) and imported with GeomAdd, I can see the weapon fine in TresEd when I reload the scene but it gives a fatal error in the actual game.

I spent a long time exporting in different formats and various changes but I eventually re downloaded your VirtualSet level and cleanly installed it. I noticed that it is an extension of the the easter egg map in Trespasser. So I moved all the guns from that area up towards the the movie set area ( the bit you made) . It loaded fine but the guns were just models - I couldn't actually pick them up and fire them.

Is the only way of getting a working gun in the VirtualSet level is by exporting one from one of the official levels using TresEd and then importing it using GeomAdd? If so, what are the steps to do so? , I know you described in the post earlier but im new to this sort of thing so a bit more detail would be very helpful!

Thanks,
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I guess you didn't include the additional objects from the guns (physics objects, magnets). Take a look at the "Armory" level and look at the guns there, make sure in TresEd to enable eveything in the "Visibility" options...
Also, it's better that you don't export as .3DS but as a .TPM file instead...
Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Revs »

Ah I see all the extra components now, do I export each part individually and then import them individually?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Supposedly, the subobjects should be exported automatically when you export the main object... take a look to see if the corresponding option is checked when you export the object to TPM format.
Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Revs »

Im so sorry, I can only imagine how annoying us newbies can be with our monotonous pleads for help!

I exported the main object - what I think is the main object, it was the one all the other parts were "parented" to. It began with a "$". I imported it into the level, geomadd stated something about 24-bit RGB textures might not work, I continued anyway and it looked fine in TresEd, identical to the one in the Armoury level. Thinking all was a-ok, I started the level in Trespasser but bam!, fatal error occured.

I understand you probably have better things to do than to help me but any pointers would be very appreciated!

I apologise if there is some sort of guide lurking around the forums to help me, I had a look through the faq but no luck.

P.S Do the tpm import/export scripts work with 3DS max 9? I ran them but nothing happened. I fancied making myself a few basic assets that I could include in the movie set. I do try avoid asking for help all the time but there's seems to be no clear guide for us new people on how to create content for trespasser, all the knowledge is in people such as yourself!

P.P.S I'm amazed how long this site has been around, I remember searching this site for cheats when I was 11, im now almost 19.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

If in doubt, you should just be able to select all the parts (the main model and subobjects) and export/import as a .tpm.
You should double-check the level before you import the gun to check it's actually the gun causing the error, too.
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Revs wrote:Im so sorry, I can only imagine how annoying us newbies can be with our monotonous pleads for help!

I exported the main object - what I think is the main object, it was the one all the other parts were "parented" to. It began with a "$".
Ah hah! That's it, objects whose name starts with a "$" are sub-objects, not the main one (the actual gun itself should start with "P"). I'm guessing the one you selected was a LOD model for the gun (lower polycount version of the original)...
I imported it into the level, geomadd stated something about 24-bit RGB textures might not work,
That refers to the muzzle flash texture. Personally, I don't include them when exporting to TPM (TresEd will ask you whenever the object you're exporting is a gun).
I continued anyway and it looked fine in TresEd, identical to the one in the Armoury level. Thinking all was a-ok, I started the level in Trespasser but bam!, fatal error occured.

I understand you probably have better things to do than to help me but any pointers would be very appreciated!

I apologise if there is some sort of guide lurking around the forums to help me, I had a look through the faq but no luck.

P.S Do the tpm import/export scripts work with 3DS max 9? I ran them but nothing happened.
I guess they do... I can't remember if I've tried them on that version, though, or if it was on 8.
I fancied making myself a few basic assets that I could include in the movie set. I do try avoid asking for help all the time but there's seems to be no clear guide for us new people on how to create content for trespasser, all the knowledge is in people such as yourself!

P.P.S I'm amazed how long this site has been around, I remember searching this site for cheats when I was 11, im now almost 19.
Revs
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Revs »

No luck importing the gun :(, dont worry about that for now.

I'm just wondering if there's a model of a Torch in Trespasser? If not im sure it isnt too hard to make my own.

EDIT: Ok i've made my own torch in 3DS max. I have been trying to import it in the Virtual set, it crashes when the bar is half way, i've tried importing it to the orignal levels, it appears sort of ok in TresEd (The textures dont appear) and it crashes in game.

What am I doing wrong? I've attached my model file, please if any of you have the spare time could you import it into a level and test it in game, I would like it to be able to be picked up. If you manage to get it working please let me know how, i've read through the FAQs but im still not sure.

Thanks
Attachments
torch.zip
Torch Model, .max,.3ds.tpm
(91.71 KiB) Downloaded 413 times