Ideas for puzzles and multilayered triggers

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Ideas for puzzles and multilayered triggers

Post by morningstarring »

It seems like the vanilla levels have fairly simple puzzles. enter a code/obtain keycard and reach the next area. I don't recall any having multiple layers. except for the CRAY bootup in the lab where you have to press the right colored buttons in the right order to proceed. I guess im looking for ideas for complex puzzles where you have to activate a first trigger to make the second one active which in turn makes a third one active. only if they are completed in a stepwise manner. Anyone have some examples I so I can see how they were scripted? my thoughts for one were: trigger 1; flip a lever/switch which activates a keypad elsewhere(trigger 2) the code activates trigger 3: opening a door somewhere else. anyone have other ideas/examples?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Ideas for puzzles and multilayered triggers

Post by machf »

If you want to go insane, look at my SokoTres level... (or did I call it SokoAnne in the end?)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

What a cool thread subject. At any rate, I myself started working on finding more complicated Tres puzzles a few weeks ago. 'Layers' is a nice term.

Maybe:
1) Locate crowbar
2) Pry open door
3) Dead computer inside; find clue to power source
4) 3 adjustments needed to turn on power
5) Computer works, find frequency
6) Activate radio call
7) Go home

Hmm, or...

1) Find edible object
2) Lure dino away from key item
3) Bring key item to key place
4) Do key things
5) Find story and clue for next puzzle
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

Draconisaurus wrote:What a cool thread subject. At any rate, I myself started working on finding more complicated Tres puzzles a few weeks ago. 'Layers' is a nice term.

Maybe:
1) Locate crowbar
2) Pry open door
3) Dead computer inside; find clue to power source
4) 3 adjustments needed to turn on power
5) Computer works, find frequency
6) Activate radio call
7) Go home

Hmm, or...

1) Find edible object
2) Lure dino away from key item
3) Bring key item to key place
4) Do key things
5) Find story and clue for next puzzle
can the target of ActStayNear be a moveable object? I guess some rexes have their targets as other dinos if i remember correctly. I might try playing with that.
machf wrote:If you want to go insane, look at my SokoTres level... (or did I call it SokoAnne in the end?)
just downloaded it. gonna check it out
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

morningstarring wrote: can the target of ActStayNear be a moveable object? I guess some rexes have their targets as other dinos if i remember correctly. I might try playing with that.
It can be anything. Other dinosaurs. The player. Whatever you can think of.
morningstarring wrote: just downloaded it. gonna check it out
It's not too long because I got tired of the complexity the trigger setup demanded. I've been thinking of making separate levels for each one instead...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files