Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

dyrvere
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Re: All levels combined into one mesh. W.I.P

Post by dyrvere »

Good god, looking forward to this so much, going to be nice seeing what Trespasser would be like on a modern engine. Swimming out towards the beach, pressing on over the rails. Just don't forget to build the atmosphere as well once imported.

How far are you taking this btw? I hope when you say populated by other objects means Dinosaurs as well. I can imagine this with new dinosaur A.I entities, a dynamic free-aim mod, an Island Map like Far Cry 2 and other things. Oh the possibilities!
Anyways, the island is looking good so far, excited about your progress. Keep up the good work!
Thumbs up!
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

By populate i mean with everything.

I can't populate it with dinosaurs though unfortunately, i need the help of a programmer!

I'll post some images shortly of the how the higher quality height-map looks in Sandbox.
We can play a little bit of spot the location :-)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Here's another shot in CE3 Sandbox of the canyon in IJ.
just_add_biosyn_chopper.jpg
just_add_biosyn_chopper.jpg (336.34 KiB) Viewed 13294 times
I have not edited this at all, this is straight from the height-map.
Scale and detail is good when importing a pgm file and avoids any nasty stepping effects.
dyrvere
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by dyrvere »

s13n1 wrote:Here's another shot in CE3 Sandbox of the canyon in IJ.
just_add_biosyn_chopper.jpg
I have not edited this at all, this is straight from the height-map.
Scale and detail is good when importing a pgm file and avoids any nasty stepping effects.
I'm sure there's a programmer in the Cryengine community that would be more then happy to lend a hand.

Oh hello! That certainly looks like the canyon that featured stretched textures and a helicopter crash in the original game. Seem you improved the UV a lot, not to mention the detail. Lovely!
If you need a hand with models I can remake some of them on weekends, remade most housings in the Town for Serious Sam 3 since most buildings exported had a horrible polygon flow or works better split up into smaller objects etc. Only the Control-room with a landing pad left to make and the statue of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Let me know if there's anything you need. :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Hmm, you were remaking Trespasser models for Serious Sam?

Have you ever worked with CryEngine1/2?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Just another little update.
worldmachine.jpg
worldmachine.jpg (317.18 KiB) Viewed 13288 times
Decided to import my progress into World Machine and see how the island looks with some basic textures.
I just added some slight erosion to it, which generated the lines you can see along the coast.
Once there is more detail, the output from World Machine will be a lot better.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Another shot of the World Machine output, this time in Mudbox.
worldmachine_mudbox_2048.png
worldmachine_mudbox_2048.png (439.92 KiB) Viewed 13286 times
I did some tweaking of the colours and blended in some extra layers.

These shots are of only a half-size 2048x2048 texture, so there's much more detail to be gained from a full render.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Just to clarify, the textures shown in the previous two images are actually only 1024 X 1024, a quarter of the actual
resolution :-)

I have encountered an unusual issue with CryEngine3 and its something others have encountered and not found
a solution for.

Any terrain above a certain height has a smoothness limitation.
cryengine3_heightmap_issue.jpg
cryengine3_heightmap_issue.jpg (145.76 KiB) Viewed 13284 times
The 'steps' in the above image can not be smoothed out, no matter what i do.
Apparently the problems don't concern CryEngine2, so it might be this issue that forces me to use CE2 after all.

Some tests have proven that the terrain can be imported into CE2 with no detail issues, so the only disadvantage will
be the loss of the new CE3 features, which doesn't really concern me anyway.

Glad i encountered it now and not in a few weeks time!
dyrvere
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by dyrvere »

s13n1 wrote:Hmm, you were remaking Trespasser models for Serious Sam?

Have you ever worked with CryEngine1/2?
Yeah, some map-pack where Sam fights through various locations from other FPS games in order to get back into his own.
I had to remake one of the levels and raptors from trespasser as well, it deserved it.

About CE1/2: Need to add another HDD before converting models and install the CryEditor. What 3D and texture format does Cryengine support importing, is it the same as CE3? Maybe It's more work than I imagine to get models into Crysis?

Glad you got the issue with the "steps" before putting to much work into it in CE3. Now, even at lower res one can see the beach, town and summit well, the rest I get confused on.
BTW, may I request you make the next screen in some good angle with same rotation it's pictured on this map? http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/im ... passer.jpg
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Wow, some amazing work there. Those big pictures really convinced me! :D

Can't wait to see what this will look like with all of the foliage and stuff! Truly a sight to behold! :yes:

Just a note, s13n1, people don't like double, erm... quadruple posting. Just edit a previous post, unless it is neccesary to bump the topic (which in this case, it's not). :sleeping:

@dyrvere: Never saw that picture before! :o
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

You can work with whatever format you like.
There are model exporters for max and texture formats are usually tif, which there is actually a crytif plugin for.

Its a little bit messy when you first start to work with CryEngine, setting up the materials for everything can sometimes
be an absolute pain in the butt. Once you're used to it its not so bad, but definitely not as smooth as it could be.

I also find documentation is hard to find, for even the most basic of tasks. Crydev is not a bad place to get support
from other users, but the site itself is terrible and the lack of clear navigation makes tracking down documentation
or even accessing your account or project page almost impossible.

I think the hardest work converting models over to CryEngine would be simply rebuilding the UV's. Combine all the
different textures for a model into one 1024 texture and then map the uv's to that, I did it with the White Ute you
see around the levels in Tres, but at the same time i upped the poly count a little and gave it a little bit more definition.
white_ute_facelift.jpg
white_ute_facelift.jpg (42.91 KiB) Viewed 13273 times
I never got around to finishing the UV's as i wanted to tweak the model a i bit more. I didn't want to completely remake
the model, just clean it up a little and make some improvements. I added a separate tailgate so it could be opened, allowing
the player to load objects in the back. Just in case you were able to drive one.. :-)

Next time i have mudbox open, ill take a shot from overhead for you, but considering my sculpting of the Plains and PH
is not finished, it might not be ideal.

You should start a new thread for you're Serious Sam work, i'd love to see it and im sure others here would too!

Yes i will try to remember to edit my posts rather than double and triple and quadruple posting!
Glad you like the images, but that's nothing compared to how things will look when i really start to tweak things :-)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Looking good :) .

Just want to say that I wouldn't know how to do half of the stuff you're doing there.

It's unfortunate that you'll have to use CE2 instead. Although I've never used CryEngine so I couldn't tell the difference anyways. :wink:
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

CryEngine requires one texture map for the entire model? Outch! I'll certainly never work with that engine (good luck mine allows as many texture in whatever crazy setup you can image if you need it). To re-layout textures you could use Blender. Import the object, create a second texture layer, use "pack uv islands" on the second texture, assign a new texture to all faces, texture-bake from the first to second, save texture, re-export with second layer only. Not an optimal solution but it would be rather fast for a dull task like this.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

CryEngine doesn't require one texture per model, but when some Tres models have 10 or more textures for one model,
its easier to just combine them all into one texture and map the UV's to it.

If you're referring to the island though, I'm pretty sure you can use multiple terrain textures too and split it into
many smaller tiles. You can even decrease the resolution of each tile, so only the most important areas are of higher
resolution and the unseen terrain under the ocean is as low as 64x64.

@dyrvere

I have a shot of the iland from WorldMachine for you. This is only a 1024 render with baked on shadows as its a lot more
interesting then a simple diffuse map. Added the water too to make it look a bit better.
worldmachine_top.jpg
worldmachine_top.jpg (377.77 KiB) Viewed 13257 times
I'm currently rendering a 4096 size version which is just shy of 100mb. I don't think ill be posting that any time soon though :-)
The details are amazing, even at this early stage. Here's a sample of the beach area:
beach_area_4096.jpg
beach_area_4096.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 13257 times
This is simply the diffuse with a baked on light-map straight out of World Machine.
I haven't even tweaked the layers or added any extra detail with Mudbox. This is only basic level detail from Sandbox!
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

This is sheer amazing! Definately keep it up!