Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Post by Blapeuh »

I see a lot of the same questions lately.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

s13n1
Alright, sounds good. The original Crysis series never really looked very appealing to me, unfortunately. But THIS MOD...totally different story. I'll check out the SDK tonight. :) Looking forward to the new updates!
Blapeuh
Has someone already asked all this? Oh, sorry if they already did, I must've missed it...
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

TheIdiot wrote: Has someone already asked all this? Oh, sorry if they already did, I must've missed it...
Yes, both on the fora and blog. Personally i've made some notes because i got some of the same questions in the beginning.
The information is all in the posts or comments.
S13n1 said he would do a new about / FAQ but i can imagine he is busy working on more fun and important stuff. :)
Nicolas
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Nicolas »

bloody amazing work! Can't wait for more awesome stuff!
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by s13n1 »

I wont go into too much detail about what ive been up to over the last month and half or so, i'll start a thread for that soon or post about it on the blog.

I've been making textures, models and learning heap of new programs.

Here's a few shots of a model im working on. Be sure to check out the full size pics.

Its about 80-85% finished.

Quake 2 - Infantry.

Full size: (6932x4000)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7331/1314 ... 5762_o.png

Full size: (6932x4000)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7366/1314 ... b60b_o.png

It's only my second real attempt at a sculpt in MudBox. I've learned a shitload from this model and my next will be a hell of a lot easier. Still, this is only about a weeks worth of work off and on, including learning MudBox.

I'll post more shots once its finished and talk about the process a bit more.
Cvlsoldier
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Cvlsoldier »

Hey, long time no see. Just wanted to say that looks cool. Are you going to use this program to make the dinosaurs?
Favorite Jurassic Park quotes:

~"Dr. Grant, my dear Dr. Sattler... Welcome to Jurassic Park."~
~"Hold on to your butts."~
~"That is one big pile of shit."~ Favorite line in the whole movie!
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Eventually, yeah.

There's a lot to know about the proper process of importing a good usable mesh that will sculpt nicely, and i've learned a lot over the last couple of weeks from many little mistakes and errors.

There are things im learning now about painting the mesh that im glad i never encountered if i was working on a dinosaur. I really didn't want to start working on dino's right away and have to keep restarting every time i screwed up or forgot a step. Its an easy program to pick up, but there's a "it'll work" way and a "this will be best" way to do things that saves a lot of time and headaches.

I've only just started painting this model with a high res texture. There is still heaps of small details i want to add, and areas i want to fix that are just experimental from when i first started.

My next model will be done in half the time and be twice as good. It wont be a dino though, sorry. I wont be starting Dino's till im really comfortable with the program and have gone through all the steps of Sculpt > Texture > Retopologize Mesh > Make UV's > Transfer details and textures > Import into game.

Only once ive done all that will i start the dinos. There is so much little detail i want to add that i dont want to risk having to restart.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Sees extreme vegetation potential. :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I just noticed i uploaded old renders, ive updated the shots and links.

I dont think MudBox will be all that helpful with vegetation, only with the trunks and maybe broad leaf plants. It will be very handy for rocks and large cliff sections though.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

That's what I mean. Area specific trunks can be custom made to sit on and amongst bolders/stones, ect... root systems to drape realistically and all that.

Should prove useful in sculpting out realistic damage as well.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Ignoring the gun for now, this is pretty much finished.

Larger:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/1316 ... d6b8_o.png

Larger:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2114/1316 ... e4e7_o.png

I have to make some stencils to sculpt the detail on the gun, to help keep things straight. My version of Max wont communicate with MudBox, otherwise i could probably send the model over and sculpt the detail in Max and then import the changes.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

That looks like it came straight from a professional game studio. Flawless work.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Thanks man, yeah he's looking better all the time. I always forget to change the lighting to something more interesting, I use the other dull lighting while editing as it's nice and flat.

I'll probably do some renders later in mental ray or something, which should look really good.

There's a lot of things i did wrong with this model which should ensure the next sculpt is a lot better and take half as long.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

http://www.marmoset.co/ is pretty good and popular for rendering game models fast.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I had almost forgotten about Marmoset.
Thanks for the reminder!

I installed that back when i was first playing around with the Unigine engine, but i never actually used it.
Shit that's.. well over a year ago. Close to two years maybe!

I've been getting emails about updates and what not ever since, but i lost it after i put my new system together.
I'll have to download it once this models done and have a play.

I decided to do a bit more work on the model and get the gun all finished and then work on a retopologized version and then bake the details over.

I was foolish to not work on the hard surface areas more in Max before importing into MudBox. I was a little too excited to start my new sculpt!
Hard surface sculpting in MudBox is a nightmare, and next time ill be doing way more editing in max first.

I really dont want to spend too much time on this model as i want to move on to other things, but if i stick with it and learn how to do it properly, it will help me a lot in the future.

I'll post more pics when ive got more done, but in the mean time, here's a pic of my first sculpt attempt, the pinky demon from Doom 64:

Starting base mesh:

It took 6 hours to learn MudBox and finish the sculpt.
Making the base mesh took about a week, including learning max as i went.

A lot of mistake made with this sculpt, but one day ill take the time to add a skeleton and then render some frames out for a HD sprite update for Doom64.