Things to put in TresEd :)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, I haven't had time to test the function out, but Andres has already added a function called 'groups', whereas you create a group, place (add) whatever objects you wish to inside that group and then you can export that group. So, if building, you'd choose (or add) only those models that you wished exported.

At least, that's the way I understand it. Perhaps Andres will be around later on and either correct me, or elaborate on the process.

*TresEd is not a model importer or model program, so asking it to 'create' your invisible meshes for you is not likely. If you're actually modelling these items yourselves inside of modelling programs, you can easily create the boxes needed for the physics. \If you're exporting these models from other levels, then the sub-objects already exist --
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

I know selecting buldings is hard, but unfortunately there is no link between a building and its physics objects - they just 'happen' to be in the right position - so there's no way TresEd can automatically select them. But if you create a "group" (see below), working with buildings should be easier.

As Rebel has mentioned, the latest TresEd can have groups, which I have called "named selections". I imagine groups will be useful when working with buildings and other complex objects. For example, you could create a group named "Op Center" and add the visible mesh to it along with all the physics objects, doors and so on. Then if you need to move, copy or export the building, all associated objects can be selected at once. The groups settings (along with object visibility "Hidden" status) are saved in a TScript file in the same directory as the level .grf . If you want to, you can manually copy groups from one setting file to the settings file of another level, but be careful not to corrupt the TScript.

Bones: While it is easy for us to 'see' where bones (physics objects) should go (eg. for guilherme's U shaped object there would be three bones), in general that's not something a computer can do easily. Imaging the palm trees, the bones don't exactly line up with the base, and the top part doesn't need bones. That's not something TresEd can decide, it's up to the person creating a model to add bones in an appropriate way.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Well, TresEd won't currently work on my old computer, so TresEd may have this feature:

You know how some objects in Trespasser become unblurry at different distances than others. It might be nice to have a function where all objects have the same clarity at the same distances.

Hope that made sense.
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It does, and usually it's the way things work on other games...
So, does that mean Trespasser stores the "threshold distance" values on each objectl instead of using a common value for all?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Trespasser's LOD is necessary. Without lowrez useage, the game would crawl, with or without a perfect scn. This isn't like a hokey racing simulator game where your backdrops are nothing more than backgrounds; you have thousands of objects, with many of these objects interactive. Tradeoffs had to be made somewhere. You need to be clever: balance clipping range, have fog settings work to your advantage with relationship to objects and when they come into range, cache where necessary, use NoCache when there's simply no other choice.

You still need to balance out a level; doesn't matter if you were a member of the original dreamwork's team or you're a member of this community and working on a level now. You're still faced with the same obstacles and limitations.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I don't think that is the issue, but rather, that not all objects have the same LOD at the same distance (if I understood it right). I personally haven't paid much attention to it, but if such is the case, it's a bit weird (or at least, uncommon), wouldn't you agree?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Was that the question? :shock:

Think most objects without values behave so, though vegetation in particular was prioritized, given various culling values along with numerous, 2d, low rez string models. I believe that they did this to compliment speed since I can't think of any other reason to dumb down distant graphics.
Vorec_planeswalker
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Vorec_planeswalker »

mke the tools more apperant and easy to use look at programs like cinema4d and lightwave for there layout more akin to that
would be good
Vorec
craycrone
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by craycrone »

It would be nice if TresEd would have an area poly increasing/decreasing tool. The one that is already in TresEd only takes one poly into account and decreasing polys is always a big job even tough much easier than in older version of it.

So would be cool if some kind of size-setting could be implemented. For example integer-numbers where 1 means "surrounding polygons of the selected" and 2 "the surrounding polygons from the selected AND from them also the surrounding polygons" and so on...

@Andres: If this above isnt possible (or too time consuming to implement) would it be possible you release the algorithm to export the highmap to .bmp - i could use it to make a tool that automaticly optimize 2d-images before importing them into TresEd

thx
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

well one thing i would like to see...

is the ability to make a new level and a "built in" Geom type
program.
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

Currently you can use the "auto-subdivide" option to add detail to large areas of terrain, but not to remove detail. For now I suggest importing only the general lay of the terrain from a .bmp (ie. one that has been smoothed quite a lot), and then add any detail you need with TresEd's terrain tools.
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

one thing that i would like to see more than any thing else would
be multiple views (e.g. left right bottem top)
and a snap to grid pllzzzzzzz.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

more vewier speed, so it goes further maybe up to 10.

the option to see textures while in terrain edit mode, so we can it on and off.

able to change the render distance of objects or terrain, from low to high, and so it can go higher than what it is already.
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Unfortunately, Andres James is no longer part of this community. And he is no longer working on TresEd. So unless someone else plans to take up the job, TresEd is staying pretty much the same.
craycrone
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by craycrone »

chronzerg wrote:Unfortunately, Andres James is no longer part of this community. And he is no longer working on TresEd. So unless someone else plans to take up the job, TresEd is staying pretty much the same.
Unfortunatly TresEd never was openSource, Andres keept his work undercover because of the heavy research involed in creating all routines to edit a Trespasser-Level. I dont think if it is worth re-creating another TresEd but maybe someday someone will...u never know, in a place like TresCOM anything can happen :mrgreen: